Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
courtiam
McGaheysville, VA

June 18, 2010
11:26 AM

Post #7899705

There are several trees in my yard that I cannot ID. One is maybe 10-12 feet all and the other is the same kind but smaller (and growing out of a rock wall). We just moved into the house in January, so I'm not sure what this tree looks like in the fall, and I can't remember if it flowered in the spring. (This is part of the reason why I'm having trouble IDing it, I'm sure!) It has large, fuzzy, heart-shaped leaves. The largest are probably 12"+ across, and the smaller ones are at least a few inches across. The leaves grow opposite from one another on the branch. The tree is growing in Virginia in a rocky area with thin soil. Thanks for any ideas!

Thumbnail by courtiam
Click the image for an enlarged view.

TomH3787
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2010
2:06 PM

Post #7900377

Paulownia, most common is P. tomentosa.

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2010
2:08 PM

Post #7900380

Probably Paulownia tomentosa - Empress Tree, a pesky invader in your part of the world.

It will have larger lilac to light purplish flower heads on it in spring. It will have large dry brown seed pods where the flowers were in summer and into fall, sometimes holding through winter. It forms buds for next year's flowers in summer/fall. These will be on the terminals of stems, and are kind of beigish-yellow-tan in color.

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2010
2:09 PM

Post #7900382

Dang it, Tom...
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 18, 2010
2:12 PM

Post #7900390

Invader with a Capital "I" I hear. Those leaves sure are pretty tho. Safer if you want heart shaped leaves is the redbud. Many to choose from and lovely trees. Check out Forest Pansy.
courtiam
McGaheysville, VA

June 18, 2010
2:21 PM

Post #7900416

Thanks!! There are several smaller trees like this growing throughout the yard. We have considered taking them out but are hesitant because it's a steep slope with little soil and for now are happy with whatever erosion control we can get. Not thrilled with Invader status though, especially seeing as we border on National Forest. Any thoughts on whether they should stay or go? Or should we keep the big one and remove the smaller ones as they come up?

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2010
2:32 PM

Post #7900458

Definitely take them out.

Resin
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 18, 2010
2:39 PM

Post #7900483

If you leave the larger you will always be removing the smaller and may not be able to keep up if they spread beyond your property. I would suggest you take out. You can call extension agent and ask about choices for erosion control in your area
courtiam
McGaheysville, VA

June 18, 2010
2:46 PM

Post #7900514

And thanks again. (What a helpful group!) I'll survey the yard and see how many of these we're dealing with. I didn't know about the Extension Office so that was a very helpful suggestion. I will contact them. We have to ask the Homeowner's Association for permission to remove trees, so I guess I'll start some paperwork. :-)
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 18, 2010
2:57 PM

Post #7900544

Usually (of course I don't know about your homeowners specifics) the request to remove the trees involves trees that are a specific size (diameter) or greater. Your small trees may not be that big yet. Although this tree gets real tall very quickly. I would think the association would be very pleased to have you remove. Good Luck with your erosion control!
courtiam
McGaheysville, VA

June 18, 2010
3:04 PM

Post #7900606

Yeah, the smaller ones are less than the 3" diameter but we'll have to ask permission for the larger one. I don't think it'll be a problem, just delays things a bit. It does grow quickly, I swear the large one was no where near as tall as it is now when we moved in 6 months ago!
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 18, 2010
3:09 PM

Post #7900614

The tree that ate the countryside!!
Cearbhaill
Russell, KY
(Zone 6b)

June 19, 2010
5:32 AM

Post #7902052

I had two ancient Paulownia's removed from the front yard of our new house in May of '07. I had the roots ground out as deep as the largest grinder would go. The roots shoots that came up that year were horrendous- one every foot covering the entire yard. It was literally a daily chore to keep up with them.

They came up again equally as bad in '08.

In '09 they slowed down a bit on my property but began seeking new areas as I saw them in neighbor yards as well- not only on the adjoining properties but across the street as well.

Now spring of '10- three full years since I had the trees taken out- and I am still getting shoots.
THREE YEARS!
They have slowed down considerably but I still cut down one or two every couple of days. They are impossible to pull.

I tell you this not to discourage you but to let you know that the sooner you start the better- don't hesitate for a minute. I had my tree guys in that yard the day we received possession of the house- swarms of trucks were the first impression neighbors had of us a week before we even moved in. And I am still fighting them.

They are one tenacious tree.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 19, 2010
6:58 AM

Post #7902231

Makes my heart race and BP spike just reading your story CearB. I will no longer rant and rage and shake fists at the verbena bonasaris -- at least the darn things pull out of the soil with a slight tug...and like a precious few things in this world...they are faithful...right there when you wake up each morning!!! (Now if they could just bring me a cup of coffee and rub my feet...) Just joking my DH is as faithful as a v.bonasaris. (But he isn't nearly as pretty.)
Cearbhaill
Russell, KY
(Zone 6b)

June 13, 2011
1:38 PM

Post #8628047

Cearbhaill wrote:I had two ancient Paulownia's removed from the front yard of our new house in May of '07. I had the roots ground out as deep as the largest grinder would go. The roots shoots that came up that year were horrendous- one every foot covering the entire yard. It was literally a daily chore to keep up with them.

They came up again equally as bad in '08.

In '09 they slowed down a bit on my property but began seeking new areas as I saw them in neighbor yards as well- not only on the adjoining properties but across the street as well.

Now spring of '10- three full years since I had the trees taken out- and I am still getting shoots.
THREE YEARS!
They have slowed down considerably but I still cut down one or two every couple of days. They are impossible to pull.

I tell you this not to discourage you but to let you know that the sooner you start the better- don't hesitate for a minute. I had my tree guys in that yard the day we received possession of the house- swarms of trucks were the first impression neighbors had of us a week before we even moved in. And I am still fighting them.

They are one tenacious tree.

To follow up...

I cut more root shoots this spring!!!

Four. Full. Years. After the trees were removed.

This tree is the devil!!!

missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 13, 2011
6:23 PM

Post #8628498

survival of the fittest...think you will outlast the tree or vice versa?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 8 Jul 2, 2010 2:47 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America