Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Flowers: lBelle's lasagana garden 2010

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 34, Views: 645
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

June 18, 2010
2:36 PM

Post #7900472

Warning!!! My garden as shown in these pictures is like a forest and over whelming!! I like it this way, been in this house for 32 years and with only over half acre everything every inch is planted but still has a fairly good size manicured lawn. It is my haven and so here are pictures this year. All my beds are lasagna and weed free!!

this picture is my rose garden and this year DH placed all 40 + plmerias in pots.

This message was edited Jun 19, 2010 12:53 AM

Thumbnail by bellieg
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

June 18, 2010
2:37 PM

Post #7900476

We have to start in front of the house

Thumbnail by bellieg

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

June 18, 2010
2:38 PM

Post #7900481

Dh is waiting , he is treating me for dinner so I will post more pix tomorrow after my golf tournament. Belle
tathib
Eunice, LA

June 18, 2010
8:05 PM

Post #7901542

That's so pretty. Like the fleur di lis stake.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

June 19, 2010
2:36 PM

Post #7903305

Here are more pix of my lasagna garden

I told you it is packed. i have dahlias in this garden

This message was edited Jun 19, 2010 4:38 PM

Thumbnail by bellieg

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 19, 2010
7:30 PM

Post #7903977

Very pretty!!!!

Pack em in tight and weeds have a harder time finding room to grow, great job!
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 3, 2010
6:06 PM

Post #7941232

Another l-garden

Thumbnail by bellieg

tathib
Eunice, LA

July 4, 2010
10:01 AM

Post #7942587

What's a lasagna garden?
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 4, 2010
11:02 AM

Post #7942726

There are a lot of thread describing how to do lasagna garden. Go to home and search for lasagna garden brigade #1 or #2 or #3.. It is very interesting. Belle

This message was edited Sep 27, 2010 9:12 PM
mwdallas
Carrollton, TX

September 27, 2010
6:40 PM

Post #8124914

What is a "lasagna garden"?
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

September 27, 2010
7:16 PM

Post #8124982

Tathib and mw dallas,
Lasagna gardening is a method of layering newspaper, cardboard, soil/dirt and organic compost for more healthy plants/veggie. There is a lengthy thread in the beginner flowers that explain how it is done. I hope you find it. Belle

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 27, 2010
7:30 PM

Post #8125013

The original thread is here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037637/
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

September 28, 2010
3:47 AM

Post #8125315

flow a jen,
I thank you for the link to the thread. My gardens are very healthy and i am about to add more compost for my fall veggie.Belle
mwdallas
Carrollton, TX

October 7, 2010
8:46 PM

Post #8144160

Thanks everyone! I just ordered 3 copies from amazon.com of the book by Patricia Lanza! (one for me, one for sis and one for brother!) My tomatoes did awful in the TX heat this year. I do have basil that has popped up in my raised bed! I can't wait to try this new method of gardening!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 30, 2011
9:18 AM

Post #8869132

Belle,
What gorgeous yard and gardens!
Do you bring all those plumerias into shelter for the winter?
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 30, 2011
11:39 AM

Post #8869289

ditto on the gorgeous garden comment :) ilove it! not formal yet not carefree, its what i would look for in a garden, i absolutely love seeing tat many plants. -- this is weird but ill share anyway: i become hooked on certain places, virginia beach being a prominent one. hows the living there? i adore the fact that you can have palms in such an unexpected place.
PAgirl60
Tobyhanna, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2011
1:51 PM

Post #8869428

Love your gardens :)))
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

October 30, 2011
3:35 PM

Post #8869518

Sallyg,
Well thank you so much and yes all the plumerias gets overwintered during cold weather. I have tons of tropical collection and they all get unpotted, and carefully placed in big rubber maid bins with tags. I hire someone to do this.
It is a lot of work to maintain but we have sprinkler system for the grass and 8 faucets around the house I do not have to haul all the hoses.

Coastal,
We love Virginia Beach because it does not get very hot and seldom get snow. Standard of living is not bad, taxes are low because our income from tourism helps with our economy.We only have 5% sales tax and I think 2.5% on food.

Pa girl,
Thank you!!

Belle
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 30, 2011
3:52 PM

Post #8869548

thanks for the info, its nice to know and it sounds very nice to live there. i was wondering if you dug out the ground where your lasagna beds are? i read some of the link above and was curious as to how your layers of lasagna are held up.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

October 31, 2011
2:47 AM

Post #8869985

Coastal,
I have 99 % perinnials and just adds few annuals. I add a lot of compost and DH adds the red mulch to give color . I think we use 8 cubic ton. Mulch is not too expensive here because they charge $125 for delivery. I do a lot of composting which is enough for all the beds as well as my veggie garden. I do not dig the flower beds but I do for the veggie garden.

One thing that i do is hire help because it is too much.

It is in the 30's now and there are still a lot of plants to go to the garge as well as the sun room.

Stay warm!!!!

Belle
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 1, 2011
3:00 PM

Post #8872272

oh i see, its clear you are an avid and successful gardener. thankfully its only slighlty chilly here. im in shock from the snow, since im originally from new york. trees still fully leaved yet covered in snow!-- i had another question for you, if you dont mind Belle, do you protect any of your palms? or are those palms (windmill ?) hardy there?
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

November 2, 2011
2:48 AM

Post #8872922

Coastal,
DH planted the palms 4 years ago. I think he did his home work first because I told him that I did not want tall palms. They had not grown much and I am not sure of the variety. The temp here last year were in the teens and so far they had withstand the weather here.

It ended up to be a nice day yesterday low 50 but breezy.

Dh decided to put plants behind the couch in the living room and purchased some grow lights.

There was one time he suggested renting a storage space for them because I have too much but I did not say a word. If I had antagonized him it would have been a big argument.He has to make sure that the house looks decent all year round.

Belle
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 2, 2011
1:03 PM

Post #8873473

well thats nice, Belle, tough palms. lol your hubby is quite an active worker, i generally wait to see what the weather does before i work on the looks. i actually never got grow lights, but they seem very useful. -- that sounds like very nice weather! i, personally, would need a sweater. it bothers me so much when they say a palm grows fast and when you plant one it teases you with snail pace growth. -- im hoping to create a lasagna garden, maybe before spring starts. im so hesitant about it...
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

November 2, 2011
1:08 PM

Post #8873476

Do you compost? first thing you do if you do not compost is start now, save and mulch all the leaves and grass clipping so you do not buy much next spring. i do not waste anything I compost and Dh knows to save including the lint from the dryer.

Belle
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 3, 2011
5:03 PM

Post #8875259

unfortunately no i dont compost. i know theyre a huge benefit but i dont. i tried once but it slowly ended, i dont know where to start either, if i were to retry the correct way. the dryer lint i could do but the rest...not so sure.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

November 4, 2011
4:39 AM

Post #8875841

Composting is so easy, you do not have to start big. What do you do with your kitchen scraps? Do you have a yard? Lawn?

You can save a lot of $$ by composting and also helping mother earth. Been composting forever and my daughter also composts. She is even more fanatic.

It is a way of life for me and my husband. I can get you started if you want. LOL!!!

Belle
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 4, 2011
12:15 PM

Post #8876393

my kitchen scraps go directly into the trash by habit and the craving for a clean kitchen/home. yes i have a lawn and yard. and i prefer somewhere that doesnt smell like a landfill :p
i would love your help, especially since youre experienced :)
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

November 4, 2011
7:17 PM

Post #8877003

I have a covered canister about 12 inches tall that I bought from Walmart that I use for my kitchen scraps. It is near the sink and gets emptied every 3 days. It does not smell!!!

I have 3 covered trash barrels for my kitchen scraps and is located behind the storage shed. It smells during summer but the smell does not reach the house. Besides being covered i have a heavy rubberized on top of the barrel. All i did is make big holes at the bottom and bury it 6 inches so the earthworms can go in to do their thing.I volunteer at our church food pantry and we save moldy breads for my compost that is why i nee 3 barrels.

My grass clippings as well as leaves from the garden are dumped behind the shed. DH is fanatic how the yard looks. Everything has to be in its right place!! LOL!!!

My daughter's canister is under her sink but she is a lot organized than me.Her husband empties the canister while I empty mine.

You think you can do this? You have to educate everybody at your house about this new project!! lOL!!!

Please update me how you are doing with this. 2 of my neighbors did a veggie garden as well as composting this year.

Belle
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 4, 2011
7:25 PM

Post #8877013

everywhere Belle goes, she starts somone else on composting :) im thinking of how to go about this. i guess it wont be hard to swipe the potato skins etc. and i will finally have an easy way to get rid of the yellow leaves i clip everytime i walk around. im thinking i will find a good priced bin/trash can at homedepot and use that. the composters they sell, in my opinion, are over-priced. - so does the bin have to have holes on top/bottom?
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

November 5, 2011
3:56 AM

Post #8877264

Good morning,
I am glad you will give it a try.
For kitchen composting, what can be composted-- Some will tell you that some of my list is a no no but this is my experience for years
coffee grinds with the filter
tea bags
veggie / fruit peels or old veggies
dryer lints
old bread

I compost left over food!!!@ this is a no no to some because the critters might get in. I put weights on top of the barrel.

Trash barrel composter:
They can be pricey, get the ones with cover and wheels

Make several holes at the bottom and bury 6-10 inches to allow the earthworms to get in.
Stabilize with a metal post so it does not topple--use plastic cable ties.
When it is half full empty -- Where?? Underneath the grass clipping compost.

Meantime save corrugated boxes to line the beds next spring.

If you have more questions I can help you. again this method is what I do!!

Belle

Do you already have an existing bed?

coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 5, 2011
1:41 PM

Post #8877814

hm it seems do-able. is there any way i can do a smaller scale composting thing? it would make the situation a whole lot easier if it was a smaller size. i dont want to violate any property rules in the community. and it would be easier for me to get a handle on it first. i appreciate all your help :)
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

November 5, 2011
3:06 PM

Post #8877911

Do you live in a gated community? Then do it in a smaller scale
rectangular rubber maid bin not s see through. Put holes at the bottom.

How big is your yard?

Belle
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

February 2, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #8991869

Bumping it for some one

Belle
cliffnalli
South Bend, IN

February 26, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #9021365

Hi, I am new to this forum. I would love some advice about composting. I save all my food scraps, coffee grounds, tea bags and newspapers. We have plenty because we eat plant foods only. I have a black plastic compost bin about 3x3 and 4 ft tall. I find it very difficult to turn the contents so I leave it alone and it doesn't get hot and decomposes very slowly. What can I do to speed things up?
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

February 27, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9021836

we have tons of compost and i do not have time to turn. We have a pile for yard waste that is dumped behind or big storage shed so it does not get seen by neighbors. I also have 2 large trash cans and a huge rubber maid canister filled with kitchen and refrigerator scraps.
We had been composting for years and use the compost in spring only
we have enough to fill all the beds. DH emptied the huge trash cans and dumped them under neath the huge yard waste pile.
There are several threads about composting so if you have time try to read them. There are claims that you can have compost in 6 week but I had not had luck .composting takes time and i never rush it because I do not have time.

Belle

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America