Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Insect and Spider Identification: Help identifying black spider with really long legs!

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 3, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
UNCMomof2
Durham, NC

June 18, 2010
2:47 PM

Post #7900516

I'm having difficulty identifying this guy (or gal). My 8 year old found it in our playhouse outside on a web and then freaked out because of its long legs and bright colors (red and yellow). From what I've seen in NC photos, it doesn't look exactly like anything...sort of like the immature male black widow but I'm hoping it's just a garden spider :) Thanks in advance!

Oh, the underside is completely black with two red spots - but they are at the very top and bottom of its body, in no way close to being connected... It's a very skinny spider too.

Thumbnail by UNCMomof2
Click the image for an enlarged view.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2010
3:23 PM

Post #7900651

I've never seen one in real-life (only the Southern ones) but it looks like a Northern Black Widow: http://davesgarden.com/guides/bf/go/1267/

The juvenile ones have the side markings.
someone else jump in if you have any suggestions.
UNCMomof2
Durham, NC

June 18, 2010
4:11 PM

Post #7900775

Really? I didn't even think of a NORTHERN Black widow here in NC. It threw me off because it didn't have the large bulbous body that I'm used to seeing, or an hourglass. And the red dots were more like lines and had no yellow around them. But you're right, the anatomy of the spider with the legs, etc is very similar.

I'll see if anyone else has a concurring or dissenting opinion! I think the playhouse is going to be off-limits until we make sure there aren't any others... I like most spiders as long as I can identify them as harmless

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2010
6:22 AM

Post #7902144

http://www.pbase.com/tmurray74/image/123887633

I think Northern Black Widow...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America