Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Use cattle panels to build an arched trellis & hoop house: I did this too!

Communities > Forums > Article: Use cattle panels to build an arched trellis & hoop house
bookmark
Forum: Article: Use cattle panels to build an arched trellis & hoop houseReplies: 5, Views: 191
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gretagreenthumb
Wichita Falls, TX

June 18, 2010
4:19 PM

Post #7900791

But different -- I needed to cover/hide some septic system stuff, so I used cattle panels to create an archway; it is about 20' long. My husband is afraid to put edibles there, as the system leaked once last year, so I planted morning glories, moon flowers, hyacinth beans, and a couple of honey suckle vines. They have yet to climb and cover that trellis, but I am hopeful and so excited about it. I am still trying to figure out what to put under the trellis that can handle mostly shade when it gets completely covered. Such fun!

Oh, I did not go to the trouble of leveling or using angle iorn. I merely used the smallest t-post (think they are called u-post). I placed them so two would be on the inside of arch on each edge of each cattle panel (at each end). They are working fine. If that doesn't make sence and you'd like clarification -- let me know.

Yours does look great --- very professional! I'll call my version the KISS style -- keeping it super simple!

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2010
6:41 PM

Post #7901172

gretagreenthumb,
An arched trellis of flowers sounds beautiful. I bet those moon flowers are so impressive, too! Please post some pictures if you have any! Maybe you could use planter boxes or containers for edible plants to climb your cattle panels (if you wanted to keep them out of the dirt). We had lots of fun with the Kentucky Wonder green beans on the arched trellis last year. They're so big and easy to pick while hanging down in the dappled shade underneath!

Yes, sometimes the KISS method is best route, LOL. Thank you so much for reading and posting the kind words,
Bev

Thumbnail by Sundownr
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gretagreenthumb
Wichita Falls, TX

June 20, 2010
9:53 AM

Post #7905071

Bev, that looks so neat. And so much easier for bean picking -- Next year I may need to extend my arch beyond the septic system!

Question -- what is hanging in the bags/pots along the edges of arch?

It all looks great!

I will post pictures as soon as the arch gets covered. I started late and things are only about 1-2 feet tall. . . It may be a while. . . doesn't matter I still love it and its possibilities. Also thinking about how to clean it all off to cover with plastic come winter.

This message was edited Jun 20, 2010 10:58 AM

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2010
8:37 PM

Post #7906551

gretagreenthumb,
Those are "Possum Pots" hanging on my last year's arched trellis. They are recycled 2-liter pop bottles with "Sweet Million" cherry tomatoes in them and they did well last year and are doing very well this year, too! Here's a link to video 1 (of 4) that I did on how to make and plant them: http://www.youtube.com/user/WVSundown#p/u/5/AgyH0-WpdNs

I can't wait to see your flowered arched trellis!! Here is a pic of one of the Possum Pots (a big 3-liter) with flowers planted in it.
Have fun gardening!

Thumbnail by Sundownr
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Urchin123
Hillsborough, NC

June 21, 2010
8:11 AM

Post #7907301

Now I have something to build this fall! I would imagine this would work well with small melons, cucumbers, and cold weather peas! Great plan and so easy to understand.
Thanks for sharing.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2010
11:11 AM

Post #7907793

Urchin123, I planted melons and cukes, but they are still rather small to know how they'll do this year. I'm also hoping to plant late peas on the old arched trellis.

Thanks for reading and commenting!
Have a great garden season,
Bev

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Use cattle panels to build an arched trellis & hoop house Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Kudos! darius 9 Jun 18, 2010 9:25 PM
Make it movable LavacaW 1 Jun 21, 2010 11:02 AM
planting question mellogardener 1 Jun 21, 2010 7:41 PM
Cattle pannels GardenerRon 3 Jan 17, 2012 7:07 AM
about cattle panels flwrpwr40 1 Jul 7, 2010 7:16 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America