Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Upper Midwest Gardening: Orange Perennial ID

Communities > Forums > Upper Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Upper Midwest GardeningReplies: 19, Views: 163
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
medinac
Bensenville, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2010
7:16 PM

Post #7901354

This may be a long shot but I have to ask. On the way taking my son to summer basketball camp, there's this newly landscaped home. There's this deep dark orange flower with dark purplish foliage that I'm sure is a perennial. From the street the flower appears daisy-like. It's absolutely an eye catcher! Anyone have any idea what it might be?
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 18, 2010
8:58 PM

Post #7901677

Ligularia ???
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2010
6:27 AM

Post #7902161

I think Ligularia has more of a spike than daisy like. At least 'Rocket' does. Let me ask my DD the landscape designer. She will probably know what it is. Too bad there's not a picture.
medinac
Bensenville, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2010
6:53 AM

Post #7902223

missing - you may be onto it...

pastime - that would be appreciated. I googled Ligularia and a DG article came up

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/873/

and it very much looks like the flat topped cultivar but I mean VERY bright orange, like orange-red. I can't really make out the leaves from the street. If your daughter is at a loss, I can stop and take a picture. I've been hoping I'd see someone outside but no luck. Thanks for asking your DD
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 19, 2010
7:05 AM

Post #7902260

That is what made me think about it the bright orange red description and it can withstand your cold climate. Pastime may be correct about the foliage. But the dark purplish coloration is right.

Knock on the door and ask the homeowners --I bet they would love to share their new space with you and give a thumbs up to the landscaper if not their work.
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2010
10:02 AM

Post #7902678

DD's coming here today, but the Ligularia dentata in the picture looks like you may have identified it. It looks like a plant I should get.
medinac
Bensenville, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2010
4:23 PM

Post #7911290

You know, I stopped there today and looked at it again and WAS going to take a picture but couldn't figure out my stupid camera in my phone. Well, I should really say stupid me because I've done it before, I don't know what the heck my problem was!! Anyway, he goes again on Thursday and I'll have to stop and try again. It was 6:00 a.m. so I wasn't about to knock on their door!
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2010
5:50 AM

Post #7912822

My DD was not familiar with the plant. I found another picture of a Ligularia dentata called Britt Marie. Any resemblance to your mystery plant?

http://www.friendsschoolplantsale.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/ligularia-britt-marie-crawford.jpg
medinac
Bensenville, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2010
9:46 AM

Post #7916454

Here's a picture of the orange flower. While loading it on the computer, a light bulb went on and I think it may be a campion cultivar but don't know which and my search didn't come up with anything. That's my hunch but still not sure. BTW, I do love that Britt Marie Ligularia!

Thumbnail by medinac
Click the image for an enlarged view.

wadeinthewater
Verona, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 26, 2010
7:35 PM

Post #7923557

Hi Medinac,

I think I have your plant -- I belive this is Lychnis x haageana "Vesuvius" described as a very striking, with deep bronze-green foliage and large vivid orange flowers, sayes it's zone 6-10 but I have a similar one that holds up fine here in 4B. See what you think.
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2010
4:37 AM

Post #7924146

Looks like you found it. My DD says to try Natural Gardens in St. Charles, Planter's Palette in West Chicago/Winfield area or The Growing Place in Naperville. She thinks they will carry it.
medinac
Bensenville, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2010
5:18 PM

Post #7925774

Thanks so much Wade and Pastime! I guess the picture really helped!! I googled the one you mentioned above, Wade, and found a picture of it but then I saw a picture of this one here on DG and I think it actually might be the one... AND it's hardy to zone 3A which is even better!! I blew up the picture I have of it to get more detail on the flower shape so that's how I came to that conclusion. Again, thanks for the good eye and i.d. It's a really stunning color, would look great with purple.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/88970/
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 28, 2010
3:56 AM

Post #7926677

Hope you find a nice big specimen. It is a beauty.

Jeannie63

Jeannie63
Mequon, WI
(Zone 4b)

July 7, 2010
11:07 AM

Post #7950066

I have 'Vesuvius', and it is much darker and taller than your picture, Medinac. I'm thinking 'Orange Gnome' may be correct.

FYI, I am babying two 'Vesuvius' starts. They made it through last winter, and one of them even flowered this year (till the bunnies ate it off). I'll be bringing both babies to the UMW Round Up next year, if anynone is interested. My mature 'Vesuvius' stands about 18" high, and is quite a good sized clump. It is at least 5 or 6 years old.

'Vesuvius' looks similar to 'Maltese Cross', but the leaves are darker and more purple, and the flowers are more orange than the orange-red of 'Maltese Cross'.
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

July 7, 2010
12:09 PM

Post #7950203

jeannie, if it is not too early to put in a request, I will be happy to try one of your "Vesusius" Wades shared one of hers with me at this yrs. RU and so far it has settled in great. Of course with all the rain we have been getting its no wonder it hasn't expired from too much of a good thing.

Maxine

Jeannie63

Jeannie63
Mequon, WI
(Zone 4b)

July 7, 2010
3:27 PM

Post #7950572

Maxine, Wades has the 'Maltese Cross' (unless she was hiding her 'Vesuvius' somewhere?).

I think you will be surprised by how much darker the leaves on the 'Vesuvius' is :)

Here is a link to a picture of 'Vesuvius':
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/45995/

And here is a picture of 'Maltese Cross'
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/133041/

You can see how the flowers look very similar, but the 'Vesuvius' leaves are never very green for long. They are that wonderful dark purple-y color!

Thumbnail by Jeannie63
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

July 8, 2010
4:00 AM

Post #7951766

Oh shoot, hit the wrong button! Will I ever learn?
Jeannie, thanks for the web sites. Yours is one bright and cherry flower. Must be one that catches your eyes as of now?

Maxine

Jeannie63

Jeannie63
Mequon, WI
(Zone 4b)

July 8, 2010
6:25 AM

Post #7951969

Yes, Maxine it is very eye-catching! I got a ton of flowers on mine this year. They are planted near my globeflowers (an orange-yellow flower), my butterfly milkweed (orange flowers), and my orange phlox (more of a red-orange). I meant to get a picture when they were all blooming, but I got distracted and lost the opportunity. Maybe next year!
medinac
Bensenville, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2010
8:02 PM

Post #7958687

Sorry, I haven't stopped by DG for awhile. Yes, I think it's Orange Nome too, it really looks more like that one. I pass by that house a couple times a week and have noticed the leaves don't stay the nice purple color though either.

Jeannie, I love your Vesuvius though. I'd love to see a picture of all the orange flowers together blooming. That must look awesome. Last year and this I am just drawn to orange flowers. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of sun. Either my trees have really grown these past 2 or 3 years... but it also seems to me that the rise and setting of the sun has changed - at least this year. Has anyone else noticed this or am I just nuts? It seems it's rising further north(east), then curving south and then setting normal straight west. With the way my trees are, it's cutting off alot of my morning sun.
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2010
6:17 AM

Post #7959351

With all the thunderclouds and rain we've had, I'm surprised I can even see a sunset. I'll make of point of looking today.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America