Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: ID Needed For Annual Plant

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 11, Views: 160
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

October 3, 2001
6:12 PM

Post #14971

Hi,

My aunt brought me these two starts from a hanging basket that her sister had this summer. It was purchased with no ID. I have noticed that the plant has a very bad smell. Any ideas as to what it might be? The leaves are soft and a little hairy.

This message was edited Wednesday, Oct 3rd 2:49 PM

Thumbnail by Brugie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 3, 2001
6:20 PM

Post #138956

sure is pretty!!!
Baa

October 3, 2001
6:20 PM

Post #138957

Wild stab in the dark here, could it be Glechoma hederacea 'Variegata' used to be Nepeta hederacea. Its commonly used in hanging baskets here and is quite hardy but your right it does smell odd.
luvublooms

October 3, 2001
6:23 PM

Post #138960

Yikes! looks like my cuban oregano that was Id'd by Poppysue.For me to take whiffs of it,it doesn't smell that bad.The other[?] oregano does smell horrible.BTW,it's in my photo on 'herb among some blooms'[too dark an image,tho.] I simply love this plant!Jane

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2001
6:51 PM

Post #138969

Here's a link to Plectranthus amboinicus in the database: http://davesgarden.com/plants/go/1356.html

This plant is commonly known as Cuban Oregano and Vick's Plant - if you've ever smelled Vick's Vaporub you'll know why.

Take a look at the photos and compare - I'm not sure they're one and the same, but the leaves do look similar.
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

October 3, 2001
6:55 PM

Post #138971

Was hoping to find a picture in the plant database, but think you are probably right, Baa, about the ID. Thanks. Quick question though...does it root easily in water?
go-vols, I don't think this plant grows as tall as the one you mentioned. It hangs. The one you talk about is grown for its fragrance. I can almost guarantee you that you would NOT grow this one for fragrance. Its smell would be like mixing moth balls and dirty rags from a Gas Station.

This message was edited Wednesday, Oct 3rd 3:00 PM

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2001
7:00 PM

Post #138975

Brugie, there is a photo in the database - did you find it? It's down past the description :)

Edit - well, silly me - I didn't see where Baa had suggested anther plant, so sorry!!! Moth balls + gas station dirty rags, huh? Ick. Doesn't sound pleasant at all!

This message was edited Wednesday, Oct 3rd 3:12 PM
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

October 3, 2001
7:08 PM

Post #138978

Me again,
Yes, go-vols, I found your picture. I was trying to find one to go with Baa's mentioned plant.
Thanks.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2001
7:16 PM

Post #138983

Here's one of the plant in question (see my edit above - sorry for the confusion): http://www.hort.net/gallery/view/lam/gleheva/

Hope this helps. (To be honest, I'd probably describe Vick's vaporub as something akin to the vile combination you mentioned, but that's just me... :)
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

October 3, 2001
7:24 PM

Post #138986

go_vols,,,that is a pretty one. I have the regular stuff in my yard that can't be killed out. Will have to check more when I get back inside. I've been in here too long now and that brugs need to get back into the garage.

Thanks for helping me with this one.
Baa

October 3, 2001
7:36 PM

Post #138995

Brugie

Mint family plants (Lamiaceae) root easily in water or soil, soil is my preferrence btu whatever you find best really. If it is Glechoma then it will grow like crazy anyway.

Vols

Its ok I don't mind being wrong :)
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

October 3, 2001
11:46 PM

Post #139198

Thanks Ladies/Gentlemen,

I appreciate the help a bunch.
Until next time...Bye, Bye!

Sorry, hit send before I noticed I had spelled Thanks wrong. The teacher in me didn't like that mistake.

This message was edited Wednesday, Oct 3rd 7:47 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 21 Oct 14, 2014 11:43 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America