Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

SOLVED: ID Needed For Annual Plant

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Hi,

My aunt brought me these two starts from a hanging basket that her sister had this summer. It was purchased with no ID. I have noticed that the plant has a very bad smell. Any ideas as to what it might be? The leaves are soft and a little hairy.

This message was edited Wednesday, Oct 3rd 2:49 PM

Thumbnail by Brugie
Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

sure is pretty!!!

Wild stab in the dark here, could it be Glechoma hederacea 'Variegata' used to be Nepeta hederacea. Its commonly used in hanging baskets here and is quite hardy but your right it does smell odd.

Yikes! looks like my cuban oregano that was Id'd by Poppysue.For me to take whiffs of it,it doesn't smell that bad.The other[?] oregano does smell horrible.BTW,it's in my photo on 'herb among some blooms'[too dark an image,tho.] I simply love this plant!Jane

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Here's a link to Plectranthus amboinicus in the database: http://davesgarden.com/plants/go/1356.html

This plant is commonly known as Cuban Oregano and Vick's Plant - if you've ever smelled Vick's Vaporub you'll know why.

Take a look at the photos and compare - I'm not sure they're one and the same, but the leaves do look similar.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Was hoping to find a picture in the plant database, but think you are probably right, Baa, about the ID. Thanks. Quick question though......does it root easily in water?
go-vols, I don't think this plant grows as tall as the one you mentioned. It hangs. The one you talk about is grown for its fragrance. I can almost guarantee you that you would NOT grow this one for fragrance. Its smell would be like mixing moth balls and dirty rags from a Gas Station.

This message was edited Wednesday, Oct 3rd 3:00 PM

Brugie, there is a photo in the database - did you find it? It's down past the description :)

Edit - well, silly me - I didn't see where Baa had suggested anther plant, so sorry!!! Moth balls + gas station dirty rags, huh? Ick. Doesn't sound pleasant at all!

This message was edited Wednesday, Oct 3rd 3:12 PM

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Me again,
Yes, go-vols, I found your picture. I was trying to find one to go with Baa's mentioned plant.
Thanks.

Here's one of the plant in question (see my edit above - sorry for the confusion): http://www.hort.net/gallery/view/lam/gleheva/

Hope this helps. (To be honest, I'd probably describe Vick's vaporub as something akin to the vile combination you mentioned, but that's just me.... :)

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

go_vols,,,,,,that is a pretty one. I have the regular stuff in my yard that can't be killed out. Will have to check more when I get back inside. I've been in here too long now and that brugs need to get back into the garage.

Thanks for helping me with this one.

Brugie

Mint family plants (Lamiaceae) root easily in water or soil, soil is my preferrence btu whatever you find best really. If it is Glechoma then it will grow like crazy anyway.

Vols

Its ok I don't mind being wrong :)

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks Ladies/Gentlemen,

I appreciate the help a bunch.
Until next time..........Bye, Bye!

Sorry, hit send before I noticed I had spelled Thanks wrong. The teacher in me didn't like that mistake.

This message was edited Wednesday, Oct 3rd 7:47 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.