Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Roses: Ohio Rose Growers - Free Roses (Columbus)

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 86, Views: 929
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 20, 2010
8:36 AM

Post #7904947

Matt and I will be moving back to California soon (August).
Some of you may recall I dug up 20 some roses and brought them with me when we moved from Ca to Ohio 3 years ago.
I have made the heartbreaking decision not to move any roses back to Ca with me.

As far as I know California does not have Japanese beetles. I do not want to go down in Rose History as the one who introduced Southern California's largest infestation of JBs in 100 years.

If you live in or near Columbus and would like some free roses please contact me and we can set up a time over the next couple of weeks for you to come and pick them up (or dig them up).
I have some that are still in pots and many, many more in the ground.
I have about 30 empty pots you can use if you want to dig up a rose.

All it will cost is a little time and digging, plus I may ask that you sign adoption papers, which would require you to send periodical photos of my babies.

Before you ask, I can not mail any roses... we just don't have the time for that.
I'll be posting a list of what is available soon.

For now - here is a list on HMF (that probably needs updating)
http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/guest.php?tab=17

Maid Marion

Thumbnail by dovey
Click the image for an enlarged view.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 20, 2010
10:44 AM

Post #7905179

What a generous offer! Wish I didn't live so far away.
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 20, 2010
2:16 PM

Post #7905629

Well we are renting here and I hate to leave 60 roses behind in a rental house, it will only be a bother for the landlord and most likely for the next person who lives here.
I had always planned to take a good amount with me when I left. I never expected to move back to California... Kentucky or Tennessee was more in our plans. Plans change, I'd like someone who loves rose to enjoy them.
If you know of anyone - send them my way
Cheers
Dove

Thalia (needs a lot of room - can survive the coldest of Ohio winters without batting an eye)

Thumbnail by dovey

tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2010
3:12 AM

Post #7906797

dovey, so sorry to hear you are leaving Ohio (and your roses) but I know you will be happy to get back to CA. It seems like you just moved here...? Are you heading to San Diego now?

If you are still looking for a home for your roses, I would love to adopt a few for you. I can come and pick them up in a couple of weeks, if that's convenient.

LMK how things are going for you. t.
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 21, 2010
4:14 AM

Post #7906822

I would be thrilled to know some of my roses were adopted by you and living happily at your house.
I have mostly English Roses and Floribundas, Old Garden Roses and Climbers. There are few Rugosas too.
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2010
6:04 AM

Post #7906981

OHHHHHHH I know how you must feel.I am still sick about all the roses I left behind when we moved,especially when I drove by a few days ago and only saw ONE rose blooming...have no idea where the rest went?
Wish I was there so I could pick some of your babies and give them a good home.Will d-mail a person.
OMG old garden roses and DA's...why do I live so far away ?
midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 21, 2010
6:08 AM

Post #7906995

dovey, it always sounded like you liked living in CA and if so congrats on going back, although I'm sure leaving all your roses and having to start over is tough!

I wishe I lived closer so I could adopt! I'd have been happy to sign the adoption papers!
shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2010
7:56 AM

Post #7907262

Dovey,.
I'm trying to reach Dan to see if he would get some for me and ship them at my expense - bareroot. I'm interested in climbers, any pink, minitures, actually all of them.

I'm trying to find DAN !!!!
phurst886
Naperville, IL

June 21, 2010
11:34 AM

Post #7907877

Hi, Dovey:

I will be in Wadsworth, OH in the middle of July for a daylily convention. I would love to adopt coupl eof your "babies", if it is not too late. I too grow mostly heirloom and old garden roses and have a dozen rugosa hybrids.

I moved to Illinois from Ohio 9 years ago. I still miss some of the plants in my old house, especailly old garden varieties passed on from other gardeners that I have not been able to find commercially.

dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 21, 2010
3:00 PM

Post #7908444

Tomorrow morning I will post a list and people can place dibs on what they want and give me a date when they can come by and pick them up.

Being a Navy wife - I've grown used to having to leave some things behind.
Where ever we live Matt encourages me to garden as if we will live there forever.
I eases my sorry to give them away when we leave.

I wish I could offer to mail them - but it's just not possible.

phurst,
We are about 2 hours from Wadsworth, OH. Mid-July is fine we can set up time between now and July 23rd. After that things get crazy and it would be very difficult.

Bishop's Castle (English Rose)

Thumbnail by dovey

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 21, 2010
6:31 PM

Post #7908887

Hey Dovey!
Sorry to see you guys moving.

We'll post a link at the ORVG.

Ric

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2010
6:43 PM

Post #7908924

good to see you here again and glad to see you're moving back to a warm climate! best wishes on your move and i can't wait to see pics of your NEW garden!
love to you,
debi
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2010
7:16 PM

Post #7909020

Dovey, I'm so sorry to hear that you are moving again. :( I didn't even get to meet you!

I'm also sad to hear that you will leave your roses behind. I know how you love them.

When I moved, I brought almost everything with me but of course I only moved 40 miles. I couldn't see leaving THAT many plants behind for a new homeowner that might possibly hate my gardens and till them under. I've hear of it happening too many times.

My husband has had two calls about a job in Groveport, OH which I believe is near Columbus. I wish the call him for an interview already! I'd love to meet you before you move and maybe even adopt some roses. I only have two and apparently one reverted to the root stock. :(
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

June 21, 2010
7:51 PM

Post #7909121

I would love to come up and get some of your roses. I live in Somerset, KY. I moved from Calif last Aug. I had to leave all my plants in Calif I gave them away. Now I own property here and am re establishing my garden here. And I need some roses. I can not come up until the 22 of July. I will check back with you the week before to see if there are any roses left. I love the English roses, rugosas and OGR. I love that Bishop's Castle. I've always wanted one of those.

Marti

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 22, 2010
5:48 AM

Post #7909658

i may be able to help you out , i can give them a good home. :)
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 22, 2010
7:21 AM

Post #7909923

- A -

Abigail Adams Rose
Hybrid Multiflora. Pink, ages to white. Blooms small, semi-double (9-16 petals), cluster-flowered, in large clusters. Malcolm ("Mike") Lowe (1995).

Apothecary's Rose (suckers quite a lot)
Gallica / Provins. Deep pink to carmine-red. Blooms medium, semi-double (9-16 petals), cupped. Unknown (1240).

- B -

Benjamin Britten
English Rose [David Austin], Shrub. Orange or orange-red. Blooms medium, very full (41+ petals), in small clusters, cupped, rosette. David Austin (2001).

Bishop's Castle
English Rose [David Austin], Shrub. Pink. Blooms large, very full (41+ petals), cupped. David Austin (2007).

- C -

Christopher Marlowe
English Rose [David Austin], Shrub. Orange or orange-red. Blooms large, very full (41+ petals), in small clusters. David Austin (2002).

Clio
(Hybrid Perpetual, Paul, 1894) Hybrid Perpetual. Light pink, deep pink center. Blooms large, double (17-25 petals), globular. William Paul (1894).

*Crown Princess Margareta
English Rose [David Austin], Shrub. Apricot or apricot blend. Blooms medium to large, very full (41+ petals), borne mostly solitary, old-fashioned. David Austin (2000).

- D -

Daddy's Girls
Floribunda / Cluster Flowered. Apricot or apricot blend.

- F -

Falstaff (Oh my gosh he is huge taller than I am - I just keep hacking him back)
English Rose [David Austin], Shrub. Dark red. Blooms large, full (26-40 petals), cupped, old-fashioned, rosette. David Austin (1999).

- G -

Grootendorst
White Hybrid Rugosa, Shrub. White or white blend. Blooms semi-double (9-16 petals). Paul Eddy (1962).

Gypsy
(hybrid tea, Swim & Weeks, 1972) Hybrid Tea / Large-Flowered. Tomato red or orange-red. Blooms large, full (26-40 petals), high-centered to cupped. Swim & Weeks (1972).

-H-

Hansa
Medium red Hybrid Rugosa. Bred by Schaum & Van Tol (Netherlands, 1905).
Strong, clove fragrance. up to 25 petals. Average diameter 4". Large, double (17-25 petals) bloom form.

- J -

*Jubilee Celebration
(shrub, Austin, 2002) English Rose [David Austin], Shrub. Salmon-pink, yellow reverse. Blooms large, very full (41+ petals), in small clusters. David Austin (2002).

- L -

Lady of the Mist Shrub.
Orange blend. Blooms quartered. Harkness (2002).

Laura
(centifolia, c. 1848) Centifolia. Pink. Unknown (1848).

*Lovely Child
Shrub. Apricot or apricot blend. Blooms medium, full (26-40 petals), borne mostly solitary, cupped, globular.

1 TAKEN - Lunar Mist (I have 2 - they seem to be a slow growing climber)
Large-Flowered Climber. White or white blend. Blooms medium, very full (41+ petals), cluster-flowered, in small clusters, cupped, old-fashioned. Meilland International (1995).

- M -

Midsummer Night's Dream
Floribunda / Cluster Flowered. Orange blend. Harkness (1991).

Maid Marion

- P -

Pink Grootendorst
Hybrid Rugosa, Shrub. Pink. Blooms small, full (26-40 petals). F.J. Grootendorst (1923).

Poma
Climber, Hybrid Multiflora, Lambertiana, Polyantha, Cl.. Deep pink. Blooms small to medium, full (26-40 petals), in large clusters. Dr. Gustav Brada (1933).

- R -

Robin Hood
(hybrid musk, Pemberton 1927) Hybrid Musk, Shrub. Red. Blooms small, single (4-8 petals), in large clusters. Rev. Joseph Hardwick Pemberton (1927).

TAKEN - R. glauca (has great blueish foliage - still fairly young)
AKA Red Leaf Rose - (1788) Once blooming - sets red hips
Species / Wild. Pink blend, white center. Blooms small to medium, single (4-8 petals), cluster-flowered.

TAKEN - *Route 66
Shrub. Purple, white center. Blooms single (4-8 petals), cluster-flowered. Tom Carruth (2001).

- S -

*Starry Night
Shrub. White or white blend. Blooms medium, single (4-8 petals), in large clusters. Pierre Orard (2000 -) (2002).

Strawberry Hill
English Rose [David Austin], Shrub.
Light pink. Strong fragrance. up to 120 petals. Average diameter 4.75". Very large, very full (41+ petals), cluster-flowered, in small clusters, old-fashioned bloom form. Blooms in flushes throughout the season.

TAKEN - Summer Snow
(floribunda, Perkins, 1938) Floribunda / Cluster Flowered. White or white blend. Blooms semi-double (9-16 petals). Charles H. Perkins (1938).

Sweetbriar
Species / Wild. Light pink. Blooms single (4-8 petals).

- T -

Thalia (Huge rose - needs lots of room)
(rambler, Schmitt, 1895) Hybrid Multiflora, Rambler. White or white blend. Blooms small, semi-double to double, in large clusters, flat. Schmitt (Alsace) (1895).

The Poet
Shrub. Yellow. John Clements (2000).

- W -

Wild Berry Breeze
Hybrid Rugosa. Mauve or purple blend. Dr. Keith W. Zary (1999).

I may have others, I'll take a stroll in between pop-up showers today and see what I've missed.

(btw) Please don't be shy about what you may want, I am willingly and gladly making the offer, I want to give the roses away.
Send me a Dmail with your want list and I'll start marking things taken so others will know what is still available.

This message was edited Jul 14, 2010 3:51 PM

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 22, 2010
7:39 AM

Post #7909974

i sent you a dmail.
thanks Dovey
you will still be on DG ?
this is very kind of you to offer all your wonderful roses.
Loliari

(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2010
8:17 AM

Post #7910075

I live in Dayton and I would definitely be interested in acquiring some of your roses. I just need to check with my hubby about when we are available to stop by. :)
shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2010
12:09 PM

Post #7910626

If anyone goes and would be willing to dig 2 for me I would be willing to pay you for digging the 2 and cutting them back so they can be sent to me bareroot - not with dirt. Please let me know. I would like
The Poet
English Sonnet

I will be out of town starting around noon Wed 23rd and will be away from dmail but if someone is able to do this for me I would greatly appreciate it. If I were not leaving town I would gladly go with truck and sons to dig them and ship to folks, at least some of the more managable ones.

Kathy
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2010
1:13 PM

Post #7910820

Oh, my! Dovey, what a collection! So lovely, all of them!

What can I 'trade' with you that you might want/need for your new place?! I'll d-mail you for details.

I remember when my DH was in the Navy (beginning in 1971~~before your time!) and we moved every year or so cross country or abroad following whatever ship he was deployed with. Parting was such sweet sorrow, but always an adventure ahead. The life of a Navy wife~~and they (you) deserve lots of credit and respect.

And so I wish you 'fair winds and following seas', as they say! (And lots of good gardening in CA!) t.

dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 23, 2010
1:03 PM

Post #7914022

Hey T,

"And so I wish you 'fair winds and following seas', " Thank you so much, that makes me misty *S*

I don't need anything in trade - we'll have some ice tea or a soft drink and a visit (sweet memories are the best anyway)
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 23, 2010
1:15 PM

Post #7914052

Just so I don't go crazy Matt has suggested that I handle this like a yard sale "The 1st to arrive, gets 1st choice."
I don't know how else to handle it and think it's a good idea.

I am keeping a list of who wants what - but only as a general guide.

Send me a Dmail and I'll send you my phone numbers and address.
You may call before you come to make sure what you want is still available.

As a rose is dug up and riding down the road in the back of someone's car or truck I will post here that it's gone.
Until you come and get it (I'm sorry to say) you may loose what you have dibs on.

Most of these rose are large, a truck (or a touch of Houdini magic) may be necessary to transport them.

The good thing is that it's coming up on JB season and trimming them back - way back, isn't gonna do anything to harm them, I often do that in July anyway.

Matt is on leave until we move, with a few exceptions, our schedule is open weekdays and weekends up until July 20th or so.

Dove
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

June 29, 2010
4:26 PM

Post #7931225

Dove, due to my car accident I may not be able to make it to Ohio to get the roses. My car goes in for repair on July 19th. The insurance company of the guy who hit me is getting me a rental car on the 19th. Depends on whether they will let me take the car out of the area I may be able to make it up on the 20th. I'm trying to get someone to take me up there sooner, but so far no luck. I'll keep in touch and let you know if I can make it or not.

Marti
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 1, 2010
6:56 AM

Post #7935185

I'm sorry you're having car problems, I hope you can work it out.

I can always put an ad on freecycle or craigs list - I would rather the roses go to someone I know really loves roses.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2010
7:28 AM

Post #7935252

Thanks Dovey, I'm still trying to work something out. Will let you know.
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

July 2, 2010
11:16 AM

Post #7938137

I wish I were close enough to come and adopt some of your roses! Is there any chance someone could send me cuttings since they are going to need to be cut back anyway??

Where in California are you going? I grew up in San Diego, and I miss the ocean.
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2010
11:29 AM

Post #7938164

Hi Melva,
We may end up in Fallbrook... there is a house on Poets Square, not sure if it suits us size wise, but I like the small town feel of the community. It all depends on what's available when we get there.
We will be in North County or Temecula because I'll be attending Palomar College in San Marcos.
I miss the Pacific ocean too.
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

July 2, 2010
12:05 PM

Post #7938237

Great! Fallbrook is just a hop, skip and jump from San Diego...when I lived there, one of my jobs was delivering to Drug Stores I have been lost really lost, in North County. What are you going to study in school?
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2010
1:27 PM

Post #7938379

We'll be staying in a friend's camp trailer on the silver strand (you know between Coronado Island and Imperial Beach) while we search for a house to rent. My rose gardening will be somewhat limited until we own our own place again. (hopefully that will not too far in the future)
The whole move is on a very tight time line as we are leaving here about Aug 13th and my 1st class is Aug 23rd.

My major is Art History, I hope to transfer to UCSM next year and get my Bachelors from there.
It very exciting to be moving back home and to be starting school again after a 20 year "sabatical" (ha-ha)

melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

July 2, 2010
2:10 PM

Post #7938464

I know the Silver Strand very well. I lived in I.B. for years on 1st street...I envy you. especially the going back to school.
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2010
5:13 PM

Post #7938785

Small world, when Matt and I were married we lived in I.B. on the corner of 7th and Elm St
We were married at Fiddler's Cove *S*
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 3, 2010
9:33 AM

Post #7940330

"Loliari" (Jen & Adam) came by this morning and picked up/dug up a 8 roses, what a sweet couple.
I really enjoyed meeting them.
(You two are welcome to come back for more if you like)

It seems like a drop in the bucket compared to what we still have to offer.

Cheers
Dove

marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

July 3, 2010
12:55 PM

Post #7940681

Which ones did they take? What do you have left?
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 3, 2010
2:46 PM

Post #7940873

Mary,
I marked the above list with "TAKEN"
A friend came by and picked up a couple today as well.

The only rose on your wish list that is gone is Tuscany and Hansa.
Loliari

(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2010
8:26 AM

Post #7944619

Dovey,

it was so nice to meet you, too! I'm a little shy around people I don't know, but you guys were so nice. We felt like we had known you for years. :)

We got four out of eight roses in the ground yesterday. We'll get the other ones in the ground today. We're trying to focus on the roses that we actually took out of the ground first. Those that were already in pots will be last.

So far, so good! I'll send you pictures when we're done.

Thanks again!
~Jen & Adam
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

July 6, 2010
3:09 PM

Post #7947973

I know I'm pushing the time for you, but I can come up on the 21st of July. Thats when I get my check and will be able to make the trip. I'll be driving the rental car, but plan to bring back as many as I can.

Will the 21st work for you??
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2010
9:07 PM

Post #7948826

will work for me...LOL...just kidding...wish I could go to adopt some from this most generous lady :-)
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2010
6:33 AM

Post #7949312

Stop and pick me up! We'll leave your car and take my suburban. LOL
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

July 7, 2010
10:15 AM

Post #7949920

Wheres Lynchburg? I have to find my way to OHIO.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2010
10:54 AM

Post #7950016

We are off 68 or 50 or 28. LOL 68 and 62 come from Kentucky up into Ohio.
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2010
10:57 AM

Post #7950026

Mary, stop and get Badseed...her Surburban will hold a lot more roses. and she can help navigate.
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 7, 2010
11:04 AM

Post #7950057

Wednesday the 21st will work out fine.
Just send me an email or a text to remind me
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

July 7, 2010
11:51 AM

Post #7950166

Ok, I'll check out the map for directions.
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 7, 2010
11:54 AM

Post #7950171

BTW email send to DoveyC @ Gmail.com will be sent to my blackberry which is more efficient than Dmail
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

July 7, 2010
12:21 PM

Post #7950247

OK, Badseed. We have a date. July 21st. I plan to leave here about 6 am. Its almost a 4 hour drive to Lynchburg. That should put me into your place around 10 am. How's that?

I'll send you a d mail with my phone # for further planning.

Marti
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

July 12, 2010
12:10 PM

Post #7962937

9 more days and I leave for Columbus, OH. YAH!!!!
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2010
1:05 PM

Post #7963055

Oh, dovey, I just read your post about sending e-mails to your phone. Sorry.

I just sent you a d-mail confirming my visit to your house this Wednesday afternoon around 2:30 or 3 p.m. (after my hair appointment at Kenneths).

Talk to you then! J.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

July 12, 2010
6:19 PM

Post #7963742

tabasco

Just don't take all the roses, I'll be there on the 21st. LOL.
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 14, 2010
1:49 PM

Post #7968487

Mary,
No worries, it seems like every time some one stops by after they leave Matt and I look at each other and wonder what they took because it seems there is hardly a dent in the dozens of roses still in the garden.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

July 14, 2010
2:44 PM

Post #7968623

Well, I'm planning on taking at least 14 and more if I can fit them in the car. I love roses and want all I can get.
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2010
1:26 PM

Post #7973422

You are welcome to as many as you can carry in your car (truck would be better) but we will work with what you have.
Some of the bigger roses will need to be pruned way back or you're not likely to get more than a couple in the back seat *S*
Not to worry, pruning will help them endure the transplant with greater ease.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2010
1:34 PM

Post #7973450

I figured I'd have to do some pruning. Wish I had a truck but no such luck. I'll just have to work with filling up the car.
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2010
1:43 PM

Post #7973474

Save some of those prunings/cuttings for me, please! Dovey, if you were not so many states away, I would be there...how is everything going?
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2010
3:49 PM

Post #7973773

Oh melva, I'd planned on get you some cuttings. I'm taking water with me and plastic bags for the cuttings. Anything special you want me to do with the cuttings? What length is best for cuttings for you?
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2010
4:17 PM

Post #7973827

Oh I know, Mary...and I appreciate you. The length I generally use, is about 6"
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2010
5:04 PM

Post #7973914

Ok I'll make them longer so you can cut them done to the size you want. When I traveled in Calif and took rose cuttings I cut them long and put them in water for the trip home. That is what I am planning on doing with the cuttings I collect for you. OK?
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2010
5:45 PM

Post #7974024

Sure, that is fine...
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2010
6:27 PM

Post #7986998

Matt and Dovey, I got home safely about 8:30 pm. Tired but happy with my new babies. My babies are unloaded, bucketed and wet down. I'll be up early in the morning to start planting. Once again, thank you and I will take good care of your babies, now my babies.

For now I'm going to shower and go to bed.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2010
6:07 PM

Post #7998949

Hey everyone. I have all the roses planted and found that I have 17 plus 4 suckers off the Apothecary Rose. So I did make a good haul!!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 26, 2010
6:55 PM

Post #7999041

Did all of the roses manage to find homes?
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2010
7:44 PM

Post #7999172

No there were still a few left. I just couldn't fit any more in the car, but I was sure trying to get all that I could. I got the ones I wanted and some of the others.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 26, 2010
9:07 PM

Post #7999270

Well done!
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2010
1:02 PM

Post #8000427

Thank You! Thank you!
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2010
5:36 AM

Post #8003991

Sounds like you hit the motherlode of roses, mart. I'm glad to know you made it up to Dovey's.

Dovey has a perfect property to grow roses~~I wish I could just take it over when she and Matt move back to CA.

We were able to come home with a very nice collection too.

And I bought Dovey's birdbath in her garage sale pre-sale. Lucky me!

And did you see the caboose in the yard next door?? I always wanted one of those~

I hope to have an English rose garden in bloom next June!

Thanks again, Dovey.
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2010
6:15 AM

Post #8004054

I am so glad that you all will enjoy Dovey's roses.What a most generous offer from one rose lover to another !!
Dovey you're one of a kind and I wish you all the very best in your move to California.Keep us posted.How long will you be stationed there ? is your husband close to retirement so you won't have to move again.I know how it's like to be a military wife for many years.
GOOD LUCK :-)
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2010
6:31 AM

Post #8004082

Yes I saw the old train caboose next door. The people that own it also own the house Dovey was living in. I agree I loved the house and yard. Hopefully next year my yard will start looking really good.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 1, 2010
11:34 AM

Post #8011171

Hey!!!! I guess I have proof that my adopted roses like their new home.
Jubilee Celebration is blooming and Clio and Maid Marion have buds on them.

This is the bloom on Jubilee Celebration.

Thumbnail by marti001

melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2010
2:09 PM

Post #8011436

Very pretty!
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 1, 2010
4:48 PM

Post #8011773

As the others bloom I will post pictures. I am so happy that they are doing so well in their new home. All of them are sending up new leaves. And I was so surprised to find some trying to bloom.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 9, 2010
2:42 PM

Post #8029547

Dovey's roses continue to grow well and I have a new one blooming.
This is Clio. There are two blooms on it.

Thumbnail by marti001

marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 11, 2010
6:16 PM

Post #8034449

Another one bloomed today.

This is Maid Marion.

Thumbnail by marti001

porkpal
Richmond, TX

August 11, 2010
6:58 PM

Post #8034548

Obviously you did it right!
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 11, 2010
7:17 PM

Post #8034587

Did something right!!
AwShucks
Houston, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 12, 2010
3:27 PM

Post #8036081

I have to say... I so enjoyed this saga. I just read from beginning to end. It was so exciting... Will marti001 make it to the roses in time??!! And, a happy ending! All the elements of a good gardening tale. I love it! Dovey, I suppose you're in transit. I'm praying for safe journey and simplicity in the move. God bless you for giving so much happiness away with your roses.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2010
4:12 PM

Post #8036177

End of the saga will be next year when I post pictures of all my new babies in bloom.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 31, 2010
12:02 PM

Post #8072873

My Falstaff rose I got from Dovey in Columbus Ohio is blooming!!!!!!!
It is so beautiful, I just love it!!!!!

Thumbnail by marti001

porkpal
Richmond, TX

August 31, 2010
2:30 PM

Post #8073166

Does it have the classic rose scent? Mine smells just like a rose shower gel that a friend brought from Italy - exactly the same scent! I don't have any other rose with that true "rose" scent.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 31, 2010
5:11 PM

Post #8073432

It smells great! Next year it should be larger bush and more flowers. These roses are getting over the shock of being transplanted in July, so they are just giving me a few flowers at a time. I also have "The Poet" blooming with three blooms and "Clio" has 3 more blooms coming on it. "Lady of the Mist" has one bud getting ready to open. "Summer Snow" has one bloom and 3 buds.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

August 31, 2010
9:01 PM

Post #8073868

It sounds like you have happy adoptees.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 1, 2010
3:24 AM

Post #8074026

Yes, my adoptees seem to be doing well. I have one that is still sulking a little and thats "Thalia" a climber. I'll have to have a talk with her and see if I can figure out her problem. Maybe she doesn't like the spot I put her, but I thought she would like it because she can climb all over the front fence and give the neighbors a show when she bloomed.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

September 1, 2010
6:35 AM

Post #8074253

I think climbers are often slower to get established, but I'm sure she will enjoy a little conversation.
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2010
11:45 AM

Post #8076645

They are very kind to reward you with some blooms...I am so happy they are doing so well.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2010
1:17 PM

Post #8076774

melva, I have not forgotten about you. I still have your list for cuttings and as soon as I can I'll get the cuttings out in the mail. Just letting every body get settled in and over their transplant.
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2010
3:00 PM

Post #8076939

I knew you had not forgotten me! I am going to work on getting your roses together this weekend...it is finally going to be cool, and it has rained too.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2010
5:29 PM

Post #8077210

We're surposed to have rain tomorrow. I hope so, we need it.
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 17, 2010
3:07 PM

Post #8104632

Oh my - it did my heart good to see happy blooming roses... I love that my former roses are blooming here and there all over the place.

We settled in Valley Center CA (North San Diego)

What a long (not so strange) but very difficult trip this has been. We are in our house, it has yet to become home, although it's teetering on the brink of homeyness.
Our furniture was delivered just last Friday
We got Internet yesterday
We are not quite 1/2 unpacked (were did we get all this stuff?)
It's my 4th week of school, I'm thinking about changing my major *L*
We may get TV today, I haven't seen "The View" or Wolf Blitzer in ages and I have no idea how things are going in the gulf of Mexico.

Cheers
Dove

On a very happy note: Matt woke me up at 7:00 to see the eagle, sure enough just like we were told she was perched high atop a dead tree. We could see her from our dinning-room window. Nice way to start the day.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 17, 2010
6:22 PM

Post #8104999

dovey, so good to hear from you. Yes your roses are doing great. Lady of the Mist put up a very nice bloom and is growing wonderfully. Thalia sulked for a while but is now putting up new growth. Summer Snow is full of flowers and Maid Marion is starting to put up new buds for more blooms. Callipe have honored me with 8 blooms so far and has 2 new buds on her.

Next year they will all be blooming like crazy and I will be posting pictures of all of them.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America