Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Ohio Rose Growers - Free Roses (Columbus)

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Matt and I will be moving back to California soon (August).
Some of you may recall I dug up 20 some roses and brought them with me when we moved from Ca to Ohio 3 years ago.
I have made the heartbreaking decision not to move any roses back to Ca with me.

As far as I know California does not have Japanese beetles. I do not want to go down in Rose History as the one who introduced Southern California's largest infestation of JBs in 100 years.

If you live in or near Columbus and would like some free roses please contact me and we can set up a time over the next couple of weeks for you to come and pick them up (or dig them up).
I have some that are still in pots and many, many more in the ground.
I have about 30 empty pots you can use if you want to dig up a rose.

All it will cost is a little time and digging, plus I may ask that you sign adoption papers, which would require you to send periodical photos of my babies.

Before you ask, I can not mail any roses... we just don't have the time for that.
I'll be posting a list of what is available soon.

For now - here is a list on HMF (that probably needs updating)
http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/guest.php?tab=17

Maid Marion

Thumbnail by dovey
Richmond, TX

What a generous offer! Wish I didn't live so far away.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Well we are renting here and I hate to leave 60 roses behind in a rental house, it will only be a bother for the landlord and most likely for the next person who lives here.
I had always planned to take a good amount with me when I left. I never expected to move back to California... Kentucky or Tennessee was more in our plans. Plans change, I'd like someone who loves rose to enjoy them.
If you know of anyone - send them my way
Cheers
Dove

Thalia (needs a lot of room - can survive the coldest of Ohio winters without batting an eye)

Thumbnail by dovey
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

dovey, so sorry to hear you are leaving Ohio (and your roses) but I know you will be happy to get back to CA. It seems like you just moved here...? Are you heading to San Diego now?

If you are still looking for a home for your roses, I would love to adopt a few for you. I can come and pick them up in a couple of weeks, if that's convenient.

LMK how things are going for you. t.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

I would be thrilled to know some of my roses were adopted by you and living happily at your house.
I have mostly English Roses and Floribundas, Old Garden Roses and Climbers. There are few Rugosas too.

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

OHHHHHHH I know how you must feel.I am still sick about all the roses I left behind when we moved,especially when I drove by a few days ago and only saw ONE rose blooming....have no idea where the rest went?
Wish I was there so I could pick some of your babies and give them a good home.Will d-mail a person.
OMG old garden roses and DA's...why do I live so far away ?

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5b)

dovey, it always sounded like you liked living in CA and if so congrats on going back, although I'm sure leaving all your roses and having to start over is tough!

I wishe I lived closer so I could adopt! I'd have been happy to sign the adoption papers!

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Dovey,.
I'm trying to reach Dan to see if he would get some for me and ship them at my expense - bareroot. I'm interested in climbers, any pink, minitures, actually all of them.

I'm trying to find DAN !!!!

Naperville, IL

Hi, Dovey:

I will be in Wadsworth, OH in the middle of July for a daylily convention. I would love to adopt coupl eof your "babies", if it is not too late. I too grow mostly heirloom and old garden roses and have a dozen rugosa hybrids.

I moved to Illinois from Ohio 9 years ago. I still miss some of the plants in my old house, especailly old garden varieties passed on from other gardeners that I have not been able to find commercially.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Tomorrow morning I will post a list and people can place dibs on what they want and give me a date when they can come by and pick them up.

Being a Navy wife - I've grown used to having to leave some things behind.
Where ever we live Matt encourages me to garden as if we will live there forever.
I eases my sorry to give them away when we leave.

I wish I could offer to mail them - but it's just not possible.

phurst,
We are about 2 hours from Wadsworth, OH. Mid-July is fine we can set up time between now and July 23rd. After that things get crazy and it would be very difficult.

Bishop's Castle (English Rose)

Thumbnail by dovey
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Hey Dovey!
Sorry to see you guys moving.

We'll post a link at the ORVG.

Ric

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

good to see you here again and glad to see you're moving back to a warm climate! best wishes on your move and i can't wait to see pics of your NEW garden!
love to you,
debi

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Dovey, I'm so sorry to hear that you are moving again. :( I didn't even get to meet you!

I'm also sad to hear that you will leave your roses behind. I know how you love them.

When I moved, I brought almost everything with me but of course I only moved 40 miles. I couldn't see leaving THAT many plants behind for a new homeowner that might possibly hate my gardens and till them under. I've hear of it happening too many times.

My husband has had two calls about a job in Groveport, OH which I believe is near Columbus. I wish the call him for an interview already! I'd love to meet you before you move and maybe even adopt some roses. I only have two and apparently one reverted to the root stock. :(

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I would love to come up and get some of your roses. I live in Somerset, KY. I moved from Calif last Aug. I had to leave all my plants in Calif I gave them away. Now I own property here and am re establishing my garden here. And I need some roses. I can not come up until the 22 of July. I will check back with you the week before to see if there are any roses left. I love the English roses, rugosas and OGR. I love that Bishop's Castle. I've always wanted one of those.

Marti

none of ur business, OK(Zone 5b)

i may be able to help you out , i can give them a good home. :)

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

- A -

Abigail Adams Rose
Hybrid Multiflora. Pink, ages to white. Blooms small, semi-double (9-16 petals), cluster-flowered, in large clusters. Malcolm ("Mike") Lowe (1995).

Apothecary's Rose (suckers quite a lot)
Gallica / Provins. Deep pink to carmine-red. Blooms medium, semi-double (9-16 petals), cupped. Unknown (1240).

- B -

Benjamin Britten
English Rose [David Austin], Shrub. Orange or orange-red. Blooms medium, very full (41+ petals), in small clusters, cupped, rosette. David Austin (2001).

Bishop's Castle
English Rose [David Austin], Shrub. Pink. Blooms large, very full (41+ petals), cupped. David Austin (2007).

- C -

Christopher Marlowe
English Rose [David Austin], Shrub. Orange or orange-red. Blooms large, very full (41+ petals), in small clusters. David Austin (2002).

Clio
(Hybrid Perpetual, Paul, 1894) Hybrid Perpetual. Light pink, deep pink center. Blooms large, double (17-25 petals), globular. William Paul (1894).

*Crown Princess Margareta
English Rose [David Austin], Shrub. Apricot or apricot blend. Blooms medium to large, very full (41+ petals), borne mostly solitary, old-fashioned. David Austin (2000).

- D -

Daddy's Girls
Floribunda / Cluster Flowered. Apricot or apricot blend.

- F -

Falstaff (Oh my gosh he is huge taller than I am - I just keep hacking him back)
English Rose [David Austin], Shrub. Dark red. Blooms large, full (26-40 petals), cupped, old-fashioned, rosette. David Austin (1999).

- G -

Grootendorst
White Hybrid Rugosa, Shrub. White or white blend. Blooms semi-double (9-16 petals). Paul Eddy (1962).

Gypsy
(hybrid tea, Swim & Weeks, 1972) Hybrid Tea / Large-Flowered. Tomato red or orange-red. Blooms large, full (26-40 petals), high-centered to cupped. Swim & Weeks (1972).

-H-

Hansa
Medium red Hybrid Rugosa. Bred by Schaum & Van Tol (Netherlands, 1905).
Strong, clove fragrance. up to 25 petals. Average diameter 4". Large, double (17-25 petals) bloom form.

- J -

*Jubilee Celebration
(shrub, Austin, 2002) English Rose [David Austin], Shrub. Salmon-pink, yellow reverse. Blooms large, very full (41+ petals), in small clusters. David Austin (2002).

- L -

Lady of the Mist Shrub.
Orange blend. Blooms quartered. Harkness (2002).

Laura
(centifolia, c. 1848) Centifolia. Pink. Unknown (1848).

*Lovely Child
Shrub. Apricot or apricot blend. Blooms medium, full (26-40 petals), borne mostly solitary, cupped, globular.

1 TAKEN - Lunar Mist (I have 2 - they seem to be a slow growing climber)
Large-Flowered Climber. White or white blend. Blooms medium, very full (41+ petals), cluster-flowered, in small clusters, cupped, old-fashioned. Meilland International (1995).

- M -

Midsummer Night's Dream
Floribunda / Cluster Flowered. Orange blend. Harkness (1991).

Maid Marion

- P -

Pink Grootendorst
Hybrid Rugosa, Shrub. Pink. Blooms small, full (26-40 petals). F.J. Grootendorst (1923).

Poma
Climber, Hybrid Multiflora, Lambertiana, Polyantha, Cl.. Deep pink. Blooms small to medium, full (26-40 petals), in large clusters. Dr. Gustav Brada (1933).

- R -

Robin Hood
(hybrid musk, Pemberton 1927) Hybrid Musk, Shrub. Red. Blooms small, single (4-8 petals), in large clusters. Rev. Joseph Hardwick Pemberton (1927).

TAKEN - R. glauca (has great blueish foliage - still fairly young)
AKA Red Leaf Rose - (1788) Once blooming - sets red hips
Species / Wild. Pink blend, white center. Blooms small to medium, single (4-8 petals), cluster-flowered.

TAKEN - *Route 66
Shrub. Purple, white center. Blooms single (4-8 petals), cluster-flowered. Tom Carruth (2001).

- S -

*Starry Night
Shrub. White or white blend. Blooms medium, single (4-8 petals), in large clusters. Pierre Orard (2000 -) (2002).

Strawberry Hill
English Rose [David Austin], Shrub.
Light pink. Strong fragrance. up to 120 petals. Average diameter 4.75". Very large, very full (41+ petals), cluster-flowered, in small clusters, old-fashioned bloom form. Blooms in flushes throughout the season.

TAKEN - Summer Snow
(floribunda, Perkins, 1938) Floribunda / Cluster Flowered. White or white blend. Blooms semi-double (9-16 petals). Charles H. Perkins (1938).

Sweetbriar
Species / Wild. Light pink. Blooms single (4-8 petals).

- T -

Thalia (Huge rose - needs lots of room)
(rambler, Schmitt, 1895) Hybrid Multiflora, Rambler. White or white blend. Blooms small, semi-double to double, in large clusters, flat. Schmitt (Alsace) (1895).

The Poet
Shrub. Yellow. John Clements (2000).

- W -

Wild Berry Breeze
Hybrid Rugosa. Mauve or purple blend. Dr. Keith W. Zary (1999).

I may have others, I'll take a stroll in between pop-up showers today and see what I've missed.

(btw) Please don't be shy about what you may want, I am willingly and gladly making the offer, I want to give the roses away.
Send me a Dmail with your want list and I'll start marking things taken so others will know what is still available.

This message was edited Jul 14, 2010 3:51 PM

none of ur business, OK(Zone 5b)

i sent you a dmail.
thanks Dovey
you will still be on DG ?
this is very kind of you to offer all your wonderful roses.

(Zone 6a)

I live in Dayton and I would definitely be interested in acquiring some of your roses. I just need to check with my hubby about when we are available to stop by. :)

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

If anyone goes and would be willing to dig 2 for me I would be willing to pay you for digging the 2 and cutting them back so they can be sent to me bareroot - not with dirt. Please let me know. I would like
The Poet
English Sonnet

I will be out of town starting around noon Wed 23rd and will be away from dmail but if someone is able to do this for me I would greatly appreciate it. If I were not leaving town I would gladly go with truck and sons to dig them and ship to folks, at least some of the more managable ones.

Kathy

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh, my! Dovey, what a collection! So lovely, all of them!

What can I 'trade' with you that you might want/need for your new place?! I'll d-mail you for details.

I remember when my DH was in the Navy (beginning in 1971~~before your time!) and we moved every year or so cross country or abroad following whatever ship he was deployed with. Parting was such sweet sorrow, but always an adventure ahead. The life of a Navy wife~~and they (you) deserve lots of credit and respect.

And so I wish you 'fair winds and following seas', as they say! (And lots of good gardening in CA!) t.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Hey T,

"And so I wish you 'fair winds and following seas', " Thank you so much, that makes me misty *S*

I don't need anything in trade - we'll have some ice tea or a soft drink and a visit (sweet memories are the best anyway)

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Just so I don't go crazy Matt has suggested that I handle this like a yard sale "The 1st to arrive, gets 1st choice."
I don't know how else to handle it and think it's a good idea.

I am keeping a list of who wants what - but only as a general guide.

Send me a Dmail and I'll send you my phone numbers and address.
You may call before you come to make sure what you want is still available.

As a rose is dug up and riding down the road in the back of someone's car or truck I will post here that it's gone.
Until you come and get it (I'm sorry to say) you may loose what you have dibs on.

Most of these rose are large, a truck (or a touch of Houdini magic) may be necessary to transport them.

The good thing is that it's coming up on JB season and trimming them back - way back, isn't gonna do anything to harm them, I often do that in July anyway.

Matt is on leave until we move, with a few exceptions, our schedule is open weekdays and weekends up until July 20th or so.

Dove

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Dove, due to my car accident I may not be able to make it to Ohio to get the roses. My car goes in for repair on July 19th. The insurance company of the guy who hit me is getting me a rental car on the 19th. Depends on whether they will let me take the car out of the area I may be able to make it up on the 20th. I'm trying to get someone to take me up there sooner, but so far no luck. I'll keep in touch and let you know if I can make it or not.

Marti

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm sorry you're having car problems, I hope you can work it out.

I can always put an ad on freecycle or craigs list - I would rather the roses go to someone I know really loves roses.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks Dovey, I'm still trying to work something out. Will let you know.

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

I wish I were close enough to come and adopt some of your roses! Is there any chance someone could send me cuttings since they are going to need to be cut back anyway??

Where in California are you going? I grew up in San Diego, and I miss the ocean.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi Melva,
We may end up in Fallbrook... there is a house on Poets Square, not sure if it suits us size wise, but I like the small town feel of the community. It all depends on what's available when we get there.
We will be in North County or Temecula because I'll be attending Palomar College in San Marcos.
I miss the Pacific ocean too.

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Great! Fallbrook is just a hop, skip and jump from San Diego...when I lived there, one of my jobs was delivering to Drug Stores I have been lost really lost, in North County. What are you going to study in school?

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

We'll be staying in a friend's camp trailer on the silver strand (you know between Coronado Island and Imperial Beach) while we search for a house to rent. My rose gardening will be somewhat limited until we own our own place again. (hopefully that will not too far in the future)
The whole move is on a very tight time line as we are leaving here about Aug 13th and my 1st class is Aug 23rd.

My major is Art History, I hope to transfer to UCSM next year and get my Bachelors from there.
It very exciting to be moving back home and to be starting school again after a 20 year "sabatical" (ha-ha)

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

I know the Silver Strand very well. I lived in I.B. for years on 1st street.....I envy you. especially the going back to school.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Small world, when Matt and I were married we lived in I.B. on the corner of 7th and Elm St
We were married at Fiddler's Cove *S*

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

"Loliari" (Jen & Adam) came by this morning and picked up/dug up a 8 roses, what a sweet couple.
I really enjoyed meeting them.
(You two are welcome to come back for more if you like)

It seems like a drop in the bucket compared to what we still have to offer.

Cheers
Dove

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Which ones did they take? What do you have left?

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Mary,
I marked the above list with "TAKEN"
A friend came by and picked up a couple today as well.

The only rose on your wish list that is gone is Tuscany and Hansa.

(Zone 6a)

Dovey,

it was so nice to meet you, too! I'm a little shy around people I don't know, but you guys were so nice. We felt like we had known you for years. :)

We got four out of eight roses in the ground yesterday. We'll get the other ones in the ground today. We're trying to focus on the roses that we actually took out of the ground first. Those that were already in pots will be last.

So far, so good! I'll send you pictures when we're done.

Thanks again!
~Jen & Adam

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I know I'm pushing the time for you, but I can come up on the 21st of July. Thats when I get my check and will be able to make the trip. I'll be driving the rental car, but plan to bring back as many as I can.

Will the 21st work for you??

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

will work for me...LOL...just kidding...wish I could go to adopt some from this most generous lady :-)

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Stop and pick me up! We'll leave your car and take my suburban. LOL

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Wheres Lynchburg? I have to find my way to OHIO.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

We are off 68 or 50 or 28. LOL 68 and 62 come from Kentucky up into Ohio.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.