Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
scarediecat
Ashland City, TN

June 20, 2010
10:34 AM

Post #7905160

Im not sure if anyone considers turtles part of wildlife gardening but I thought Id give it a try anyway. My dog got hold of this baby turtle. Does anyone know if it is a box turtle or snapping turtle. We do have water by our house but I think this one came from under a wood pile. The second photo shows the wound from my dog chewing on him before I caught him. The shell is cracked and chipped. I had to move the shell back into place but it looks like it is just missing that little chunk. Do I need to doctor him or can I just put him back under the wood pile?

Thumbnail by scarediecat
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JulieQ
Cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2010
11:36 AM

Post #7905285

Hey scarediecat,
Looks like a common box turtle. Snappers can't pull their head and legs into their shell. Unfortunately, there is probably very little you can do to help this one. If it too badly damaged it won't live. You'd probably do best to put it in an out of the way place, cool and shady and away from your dog.
PS you can respond to your own post
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2010
1:06 PM

Post #7920116

Yep, eastern box turtle. We have them all over our woods here in northern Kentucky.
chicochi3
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2010
1:22 PM

Post #7935969

He looks like he has the same injuries that one I found the other day had. The one I found had healed up and he was doing fine. I agree with JulieQ. Put him in a shady place and where your dog can't get him. He'll probably be fine.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Wildlife Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbirds! Marilynbeth 92 Apr 29, 2007 7:34 PM
Idaho to kill wolves terryr 36 Jun 8, 2012 2:20 PM
Any one know alot about hawks? lavenderwolf 24 Jun 6, 2007 2:40 PM
Drip watering system for birds? Equilibrium 68 Apr 3, 2008 10:18 AM
Moving a spider egg sac, possible? cresida 23 Jul 21, 2011 4:50 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America