-
AuthorContent
daisylovn
(Tracey) Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 21, 2010
8:47 AM

Post #7907384

I recently planted two Lantanas. They both seem to have taken to their new home well. I would like to know how to propagate them. $4 a plant is not too bad but I would like about 20 and that will get quite expensive.

I did google but got alot of conflicting info.. it is easier/better to use root hormone and stick in a pot or the ground, or root them in water? Hmm.
killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 21, 2010
10:28 AM

Post #7907670

I can tell you how I rooted mine. I simply put the cuttings in the potting mix they would be growing in. (I use Al's 5:1:1 mix)
All of mine rooted. You may experience some wilting at first but just give them time.
killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 21, 2010
10:34 AM

Post #7907687

Pic. After 3 weeks or so from cuttings.

Thumbnail by killdawabbit
Click the image for an enlarged view.

daisylovn
(Tracey) Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 21, 2010
11:15 AM

Post #7907807

I must start by telling you that I simply love your user name... I lol when I first saw it.

Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna try it.. I dont think I am gonna do it from my newly planted, but I think I will buy a couple more and make my cuttings from them..

This message was edited Jun 21, 2010 12:15 PM
DIRTYGIRL71
Brandon, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 21, 2010
11:42 AM

Post #7907901

gonna give it a try myself...thanks for the 411
gemp
Belmont, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 21, 2010
6:20 PM

Post #7908861

When my lantana needs a trim I stick the cuttings as Killdawabbit does, with very good sucess.
daisylovn
(Tracey) Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 21, 2010
9:01 PM

Post #7909254

I'm looking forward to many successful cutting.. Thanks to all.
killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2010
9:18 AM

Post #7910236

Just remember to keep them watered well.
realbirdlady
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2010
6:14 PM

Post #7925923

Feel free to plant the seeds, too...
angedawn47
Lake Charles, LA

June 27, 2010
8:53 PM

Post #7926358

Seeds? I never knew they made seed. How long do they take to grow?
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 27, 2010
9:41 PM

Post #7926440

I have had my plants 3 yrs and they are sprouting from seed everywhere.
killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2010
8:35 AM

Post #7927353

ilj99, are they hardy where you live?
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 28, 2010
8:01 PM

Post #7929268

They are very hardy here as long as they are not in direct sun all day.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 2, 2010
9:28 AM

Post #7937908

wabbitkiller, please note the difference in your zones. They are in zone 9. These things grow as shrubs in the south. I have been told.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

July 2, 2010
7:56 PM

Post #7939133

I am in zone 9 and here out Lantana get quite large. I trim them back. I have one in the front landscape behind a very large boulder that is 3 years old. Lost the one before that to the big freeze. I have one in the back landscape that is its second years. One of the new multi-colored pink, purple and yellow. It died back during the winter and has come back beautifully as soon as it got hot. Until it got above 90 degrees it just sat there and did nothing. Jnette is right. It loves full sun and in her area that does not happen often. Photo taken yesterday in temperature of 108.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2010
10:19 AM

Post #7940400

Sharon, when you "trim" them I would love a few of the trims. Also seeds. I have tried seeds an so far no luck.

Jeanette
JoshY46013
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2010
11:28 AM

Post #7940541

I take cuttings of mine all the time :) They root in about 2 weeks or so and grow pretty fast :)

I have to overwinter all my Lantanas inside which is kind of a hassle for a plant that most people thinks of as a weed :)
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

July 3, 2010
2:45 PM

Post #7940869

I usually do not trim but I will for you friend. I will try and root a couple. I think it would be to hot unless they were rooted. My sweet woodruff when it arrived had variegated leaves. Now the leaves are a solid green. What is normal.
killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 3, 2010
4:19 PM

Post #7941008

One thing I've found. Lantanas are easy to overwinter. I had one in a south facing window and it grew all winter long. No leaf drop or anything. Didn't bloom any though.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2010
5:57 PM

Post #7941217

Guess I misunderstood Sharon, I thought in your last post you said you trim your lantanas back. Don't do it just for me. Don't know about variegated Sweet Woodruff. Mine was solid green. Sure a bird didn't poop on it on the way down to you? LOL I don't know about variegated Sharon.

I had a very pretty lantana I got from my sister last year. It was creamy white with a yellow center. But it didn't last over the winter.
JoshY46013
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2010
6:04 PM

Post #7941226

Jnette, if you wanna send me postage I'll send you a cutting or two :)
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2010
6:24 PM

Post #7941255

Wow Josh, that is sure nice of you. How much postage and in what form do you want it? D-mail me address and info and I'll do the same. Thanks a lot.

Jeanette
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

July 3, 2010
9:55 PM

Post #7941730

Jnette, I am sending you a few plants so cutting from the lantanas would not make a difference. I can trim from the bottom branches and no one would see. The plant is at the far end of the back landscape, right out the french door of the master bedroom and I see it about once a week. But when I see it, I really enjoy it and I would enjoy knowing it is your garden. I would like an exchange of the pretty purple/blue plant Lee has that you identified that your neighbor has that is invasive. Got it. If not d-mail me. Have a great 4th. I made Potato Salad which I hate to make without my mother's sweet pickle relish. I have the canning jars out, I just need to buy the ingredients. It is on my do list the week after the 7th. My daughter will be back from out of town for a week in the cool mountains so we will do the relish the week after. This is a present for the whole family, so everyone will pitch in because we have been without this wonderful relish for three years when we run out and I did not get another batch made. OK, I AM MAKING A NEW BATCH. .
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2010
12:06 AM

Post #7941865

Sharon, my neighbor brought me a bouquet of that purple flower,(Dave identified it as Campanula, can't remember the second word). and bright yellow Yarrow. Very pretty. I am going to look at it tomorrow and see if I can make some cuttings from the bouquet. Also, she is going to bring me some divisions so I will see that you get some. Hopefully both.

I don't really think it is that invasive. She has it in different places in her yard so she thinks it probably seeds down. I am going to have her give me some seeds also.

Sharon, are you going to include the recipe of the sweet relish? I promise I will not sneak it to your neighbor or somebody else.

Oh, BTW, I will take a picture of the bouquet she brought me tomorrow and post it.
angedawn47
Lake Charles, LA

July 4, 2010
1:08 AM

Post #7941876

Oh, yeah one of my lantanas is hugh and it was cut all the way back in the early spring. It is probably about 4 feet tall by 4 feet wide and will get taller. The yellow, white, and lavendar don't get as large here.
killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 4, 2010
8:37 AM

Post #7942440

ange, are lantanas winter hardy for you?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2010
9:01 AM

Post #7942486

It is really difficult to imagine lantana getting to that size when we use them for container plants.

Sharon here is a picture of the Campanula of my neighbor's.

Thumbnail by Jnette

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

July 4, 2010
5:56 PM

Post #7943485

I am just so excited, it is very hard to type. My DH is looking at me like I have lost it. That would be so wonderful. I wonder what it will think when it sees the sun more than twice a month. I have a friend that grows Irises explain to me that Spring begins when you see the sun for the first time the first of the year. I told her there is very seldom a day we do not see the sun. She is from Oregon and sent me a dead flower as a joke via D-Mail..

I am done in the landscape so I am going to try propagating some of these wonderful Lantanas for you and your friends. I am finally going to set up my EZ Cloner tomorrow. It was a gift at Christmas and still in the box. But I also have to get my taxes done. I am on an extension and was ill when they were due. I am not ill now. It only takes a few hours when I get started. I just need to get started.

Jnette, thank you so very much. I will pay postage.

Saw some info on Canna on another thread where they freeze. They plant them in pots. At the end of the season, they remove them. trim off leaves, let dry for a few days and then put them in a cool place in sawdust or something that will keep them dry. Then they replant the next year. Sorry, I did not mean to kidnap your thread.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2010
7:37 PM

Post #7943686

That is the way I plant my cannas and dahlias Sharon. In pots. I cannot dig them so that is the easiest way. I even am trying some dahlias in my planters on my deck railings But I have kept them pinched back so they won't get tall. I have one that is about to bloom. I am really anxious to see it.

It is about the same height as the rest of the plants in there. Petunias, verbenas, etc.
JoshY46013
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2010
7:13 AM

Post #7944383

I be that's adorable, your mini dahlias and cannas :)
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2010
8:26 AM

Post #7944618

LOL, that's funny Josh. I will post a picture when it blooms. This is one that is suppose to be 18 to 24 inches.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2010
8:27 AM

Post #7944622

However, I won't do that with a canna. LOL
JoshY46013
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2010
10:27 AM

Post #7944929

Jnette, I have several good cuttings for you :)

I for sure want a picture :)

My Dahlias are about 4 feet tall so far with NO blooms, I got them in a bit late but 4 feet tall? lol

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2010
6:19 PM

Post #7946001

It depends on what kind of dahlias you have Josh. I used to grow those too in Seattle where I could leave them in the ground and they didn't freeze. But when they got to be about 6 inches tall I would pinch them and do that a couple of times so they would be bushy and I didn't have to stake them.

But there are a lot of different kinds and heights of dahlias Josh. Sounds like you might have a big flower coming.

What color are the lantanas Josh? I will have to get a sasbe out to you tomorrow. How long are they? That will tell me how big an envelope to make it. Thanks.

Jeanette

edited to add: BTW how do you get them rooted so fast?

This message was edited Jul 5, 2010 6:20 PM
JoshY46013
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2010
7:40 PM

Post #7946186

I stick them in water, they root pretty quick. There is a piece that broke off at the base, it's about a foot long, do you want me to cut into two cuttings so it would be easier and cheap to ship? I have a couple more that are about 5-6 inches!
JoshY46013
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2010
7:44 PM

Post #7946194

Oh I forgot the colors,

They're pink, red, orange and yellow. They change colors! Primarily, they're pink!
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2010
9:35 PM

Post #7946395

Are you sure these will fit in a manilla envelope? They sound pretty.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

July 5, 2010
9:40 PM

Post #7946400

Well I have been goofing off all day. Had to collect rent on a couple of rentals, had my handyman, custom home builder with a new job at the moment, came and finished putting in place the shelf above my new washer and dryer. When we moved in here 9 years ago I think our Interior Designer chose the washer and dryer because they would fit in the space where she wanted them. They were totally worthless but we did not know that. We had never had a dryer before that worked well so we just thought was standard operating procedure.

Then last year we went to Maui because a very wonderful friend, as a wonderful gift, let us use their condo in Maui, rent free because of my continuing major lung problem. And in this very large condo, next to the Four Seasons, they had a stack washer and dryer. It dried wet clothes in 15 minutes. Ours took over an hour if the clothes were placed in damp. We came back with our eyes open. Tomorrow I will tell you how much it cost me to tear out cabinets to put in a new washer and dryer. Love you all and I am out of here. See you tomorrow. I have two doctors appointments tomorrow so I probably will not be on until late. Have a great day. So sorry you are all having our normal heat wave. I am being sincere because your blood is to thick.

DH had fainting spell today so I have ENT in the morning and then he has his Cardiologist. His Cardiologist is right next door but they are out of town for two weeks so we see one of his partners.

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

July 5, 2010
9:48 PM

Post #7946414

Well I did not get my EZ Cloner out of the box and tomorrow I am creamed. And so it is the same thing Wednesday but then I have nothing for a whole week. I will do that first thing right after I Murder DH. He is doing something he should not be doing and he knows it and I will know it when we get back from the cardiologist. Tomorrow evening if I am not in jail. New photo of the family in Spokane. They could not believe they would have to wear sweatshirts on the 4th of July. But they love it in Spokane.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2010
8:19 AM

Post #7947075

What a beautiful family Sharon. Why is it we never hear anything about those gorgeous girls? Just Luke? They are beautiful.

What is it about Spokane they like so well? Have they always lived in Las Vegas? If that's the case, Spokane will be really different for them.

Well, hope your DH's cardiologist appt. goes well and that you are not in jail 'cause I would assume that means that he is dead.

Oh well, S--t happens.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

July 6, 2010
8:42 AM

Post #7947128

They moved into their new home and were greeted by all their neighbors with cakes, and cookies, and offers to watch Luke while they unpacked. The neighborhood has about 10 other children the girls age and 5 babies Luke's age and they have been welcomed with open arms. That is not the norm in Las Vegas. And they can play out side until 9pm because it is not hot or dark. It gets dark here at 7:30 to 8:00 pm and still above 100 degrees..

Shame on me for not mentioning the girls. They are my son's step daughters and very lovely and smart young ladies. They are very active in soccer. Megan is 13 and Natalie is 11.

I am just waking up and getting ready to hit the road for my appointments for the day. Watch the National Evening News. If I do kill DH, I will throw him off the top of the Paris Hotel.

We are actually, maybe, have some rain storms the next week. We are going into our monsoon season. Unfortunately for Nevada and Arizona, that usually means flash flooding.

Have a great day and enjoy your gardens.

pbyrley
Port St Lucie (+ Wk , FL
(Zone 9b)

July 19, 2010
7:41 AM

Post #7980315

In Lantana, FL (just South of West Palm Beach) they used to grow in the dirt along the road (Old Dixie Highway as I recall). I guess there were a lot of them to name the town Lantana.

Paul
wingsandblooms
Saint Matthews, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2010
9:47 AM

Post #7983390

There are several different types of lantana - some are ground creepers and don't get very tall, but more spreading and mounding - some are tall and get very large and bushy. My husband's aunt who lived next door to us has had one of the multi-colored orange ones in her yard for years and it must be at least 5-6' tall and as big around. Here in our Zone 8 most overwinter ok, but some are tender perennials so we just treat them like annuals. But since they attract butterflies, I love all kinds of the lantana. I have white, lavender, multi-colored orange, and red. The pink ones have never overwintered for me here, neither have the white ones. I was told the lavender would not either, but it has come back for several years now (to my great delight!)
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2010
10:07 AM

Post #7983424

You just don't see the white with the pale yellow centers very often. At last not here.
DIRTYGIRL71
Brandon, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 20, 2010
10:43 AM

Post #7983486

I still can't get Lantana to root for me!!! I have tried several cuttings from the mounding type, but none make roots.
angedawn47
Lake Charles, LA

July 20, 2010
1:20 PM

Post #7983850

DirtyGirl71, have you tried putting a limb on the ground with a rock over it?
pbyrley
Port St Lucie (+ Wk , FL
(Zone 9b)

July 23, 2010
7:28 PM

Post #7992150

You can also take a sharp knife and cut at the place where several sprouts are growing. The part you cut off will already be like a small root and will continue growing more roots. Trim off the top part of the shoot you cut off so it won't have to support too many leaves. I think they grow fast.

I wanted to say that I am almost certain that the seeds are poisonous so don't let little kids or pets eat them. I just Googled for Lantana seeds and found in a site called Gardens Ablaze the following " Be careful about kids and pets eating Lantana seed, as it can be pretty toxic when overdosed (there has been one known child fatality). " I have to watch my dog who will eat almost anything. My Lantana are in the front yard and she mostly stays in the back yard.

planolinda
Plano, TX

July 31, 2010
9:14 AM

Post #8008664

our local nursery is selling a nice variety of full and healthy lantana for 75 cents now--picked up 4 -
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2010
11:09 AM

Post #8008860

Good buy Linda. Especially since they are perennials in your area.
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 31, 2010
11:31 AM

Post #8008895

thanks--don't you just love a good buy??
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2010
8:59 PM

Post #8010112

Absolutely!!
Debsroots
Northwest, MO
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2010
4:15 AM

Post #8010323

How long do I need to let the Lantana seeds dry before harvesting them. I'll wait to plant them during my spring plantings of 2011. Any suggestions or special directions on how I should plant the seeds when the time comes?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2010
10:23 AM

Post #8011005

I don't know Deb, but there are some seeds that do better the sooner you plant them. Like fresh. I don't know about Lantana. I planted some this year that did not germinate.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

August 1, 2010
7:40 PM

Post #8012177

I have three cuttings in my EZ Cloner to see if I can get them to root. I will let you know.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2010
12:07 AM

Post #8012498

Well, I just cut some off of a plant I have and put them directly in potting soil and then in a gallon bag. We'll see. These are lavender Sharon if you have a different color and mine root, I will trade you some. Actually, if mine root and you don't have lavender, I will send you some of these. LOL

I don't need any more lavenders. I just wanted to see if I could root them.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

August 2, 2010
9:10 PM

Post #8014695

I have two in my EZ cloner for you and I have one out in the back landscape that you wanted that put out a baby. They have only been in the EZ cloner 3 days so I will let you know. And no, I do not need anymore of the Las Vegas Weed. LOL.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Propagation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
rooting bamboo justmeLisa 14 Oct 19, 2010 10:25 AM
Propogating Aucuba dave 17 Apr 25, 2008 8:36 PM
crepe myrtle venessa 54 Jul 1, 2008 4:11 AM
Top 10 Easiest to Grow from Cuttings kmom246 281 Jun 13, 2011 9:12 AM
Stella d'Oro seeds, how to start? Melissa 26 Feb 26, 2009 12:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America