Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Lantana Propagation

(Tracey) Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

I recently planted two Lantanas. They both seem to have taken to their new home well. I would like to know how to propagate them. $4 a plant is not too bad but I would like about 20 and that will get quite expensive.

I did google but got alot of conflicting info.. it is easier/better to use root hormone and stick in a pot or the ground, or root them in water? Hmm.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

I can tell you how I rooted mine. I simply put the cuttings in the potting mix they would be growing in. (I use Al's 5:1:1 mix)
All of mine rooted. You may experience some wilting at first but just give them time.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Pic. After 3 weeks or so from cuttings.

Thumbnail by killdawabbit

I must start by telling you that I simply love your user name.... I lol when I first saw it.

Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna try it.. I dont think I am gonna do it from my newly planted, but I think I will buy a couple more and make my cuttings from them..

This message was edited Jun 21, 2010 12:15 PM

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

gonna give it a try myself...thanks for the 411

Belmont, WI(Zone 4b)

When my lantana needs a trim I stick the cuttings as Killdawabbit does, with very good sucess.

I'm looking forward to many successful cutting.. Thanks to all.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Just remember to keep them watered well.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Feel free to plant the seeds, too...

Lake Charles, LA

Seeds? I never knew they made seed. How long do they take to grow?

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

I have had my plants 3 yrs and they are sprouting from seed everywhere.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

ilj99, are they hardy where you live?

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

They are very hardy here as long as they are not in direct sun all day.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

wabbitkiller, please note the difference in your zones. They are in zone 9. These things grow as shrubs in the south. I have been told.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I am in zone 9 and here out Lantana get quite large. I trim them back. I have one in the front landscape behind a very large boulder that is 3 years old. Lost the one before that to the big freeze. I have one in the back landscape that is its second years. One of the new multi-colored pink, purple and yellow. It died back during the winter and has come back beautifully as soon as it got hot. Until it got above 90 degrees it just sat there and did nothing. Jnette is right. It loves full sun and in her area that does not happen often. Photo taken yesterday in temperature of 108.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Sharon, when you "trim" them I would love a few of the trims. Also seeds. I have tried seeds an so far no luck.

Jeanette

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I take cuttings of mine all the time :) They root in about 2 weeks or so and grow pretty fast :)

I have to overwinter all my Lantanas inside which is kind of a hassle for a plant that most people thinks of as a weed :)

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I usually do not trim but I will for you friend. I will try and root a couple. I think it would be to hot unless they were rooted. My sweet woodruff when it arrived had variegated leaves. Now the leaves are a solid green. What is normal.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

One thing I've found. Lantanas are easy to overwinter. I had one in a south facing window and it grew all winter long. No leaf drop or anything. Didn't bloom any though.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Guess I misunderstood Sharon, I thought in your last post you said you trim your lantanas back. Don't do it just for me. Don't know about variegated Sweet Woodruff. Mine was solid green. Sure a bird didn't poop on it on the way down to you? LOL I don't know about variegated Sharon.

I had a very pretty lantana I got from my sister last year. It was creamy white with a yellow center. But it didn't last over the winter.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Jnette, if you wanna send me postage I'll send you a cutting or two :)

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Wow Josh, that is sure nice of you. How much postage and in what form do you want it? D-mail me address and info and I'll do the same. Thanks a lot.

Jeanette

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Jnette, I am sending you a few plants so cutting from the lantanas would not make a difference. I can trim from the bottom branches and no one would see. The plant is at the far end of the back landscape, right out the french door of the master bedroom and I see it about once a week. But when I see it, I really enjoy it and I would enjoy knowing it is your garden. I would like an exchange of the pretty purple/blue plant Lee has that you identified that your neighbor has that is invasive. Got it. If not d-mail me. Have a great 4th. I made Potato Salad which I hate to make without my mother's sweet pickle relish. I have the canning jars out, I just need to buy the ingredients. It is on my do list the week after the 7th. My daughter will be back from out of town for a week in the cool mountains so we will do the relish the week after. This is a present for the whole family, so everyone will pitch in because we have been without this wonderful relish for three years when we run out and I did not get another batch made. OK, I AM MAKING A NEW BATCH. .

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Sharon, my neighbor brought me a bouquet of that purple flower,(Dave identified it as Campanula, can't remember the second word). and bright yellow Yarrow. Very pretty. I am going to look at it tomorrow and see if I can make some cuttings from the bouquet. Also, she is going to bring me some divisions so I will see that you get some. Hopefully both.

I don't really think it is that invasive. She has it in different places in her yard so she thinks it probably seeds down. I am going to have her give me some seeds also.

Sharon, are you going to include the recipe of the sweet relish? I promise I will not sneak it to your neighbor or somebody else.

Oh, BTW, I will take a picture of the bouquet she brought me tomorrow and post it.

Lake Charles, LA

Oh, yeah one of my lantanas is hugh and it was cut all the way back in the early spring. It is probably about 4 feet tall by 4 feet wide and will get taller. The yellow, white, and lavendar don't get as large here.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

ange, are lantanas winter hardy for you?

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

It is really difficult to imagine lantana getting to that size when we use them for container plants.

Sharon here is a picture of the Campanula of my neighbor's.

Thumbnail by Jnette
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I am just so excited, it is very hard to type. My DH is looking at me like I have lost it. That would be so wonderful. I wonder what it will think when it sees the sun more than twice a month. I have a friend that grows Irises explain to me that Spring begins when you see the sun for the first time the first of the year. I told her there is very seldom a day we do not see the sun. She is from Oregon and sent me a dead flower as a joke via D-Mail..

I am done in the landscape so I am going to try propagating some of these wonderful Lantanas for you and your friends. I am finally going to set up my EZ Cloner tomorrow. It was a gift at Christmas and still in the box. But I also have to get my taxes done. I am on an extension and was ill when they were due. I am not ill now. It only takes a few hours when I get started. I just need to get started.

Jnette, thank you so very much. I will pay postage.

Saw some info on Canna on another thread where they freeze. They plant them in pots. At the end of the season, they remove them. trim off leaves, let dry for a few days and then put them in a cool place in sawdust or something that will keep them dry. Then they replant the next year. Sorry, I did not mean to kidnap your thread.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

That is the way I plant my cannas and dahlias Sharon. In pots. I cannot dig them so that is the easiest way. I even am trying some dahlias in my planters on my deck railings But I have kept them pinched back so they won't get tall. I have one that is about to bloom. I am really anxious to see it.

It is about the same height as the rest of the plants in there. Petunias, verbenas, etc.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I be that's adorable, your mini dahlias and cannas :)

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, that's funny Josh. I will post a picture when it blooms. This is one that is suppose to be 18 to 24 inches.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

However, I won't do that with a canna. LOL

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Jnette, I have several good cuttings for you :)

I for sure want a picture :)

My Dahlias are about 4 feet tall so far with NO blooms, I got them in a bit late but 4 feet tall? lol

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

It depends on what kind of dahlias you have Josh. I used to grow those too in Seattle where I could leave them in the ground and they didn't freeze. But when they got to be about 6 inches tall I would pinch them and do that a couple of times so they would be bushy and I didn't have to stake them.

But there are a lot of different kinds and heights of dahlias Josh. Sounds like you might have a big flower coming.

What color are the lantanas Josh? I will have to get a sasbe out to you tomorrow. How long are they? That will tell me how big an envelope to make it. Thanks.

Jeanette

edited to add: BTW how do you get them rooted so fast?

This message was edited Jul 5, 2010 6:20 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I stick them in water, they root pretty quick. There is a piece that broke off at the base, it's about a foot long, do you want me to cut into two cuttings so it would be easier and cheap to ship? I have a couple more that are about 5-6 inches!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Oh I forgot the colors,

They're pink, red, orange and yellow. They change colors! Primarily, they're pink!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Are you sure these will fit in a manilla envelope? They sound pretty.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Well I have been goofing off all day. Had to collect rent on a couple of rentals, had my handyman, custom home builder with a new job at the moment, came and finished putting in place the shelf above my new washer and dryer. When we moved in here 9 years ago I think our Interior Designer chose the washer and dryer because they would fit in the space where she wanted them. They were totally worthless but we did not know that. We had never had a dryer before that worked well so we just thought was standard operating procedure.

Then last year we went to Maui because a very wonderful friend, as a wonderful gift, let us use their condo in Maui, rent free because of my continuing major lung problem. And in this very large condo, next to the Four Seasons, they had a stack washer and dryer. It dried wet clothes in 15 minutes. Ours took over an hour if the clothes were placed in damp. We came back with our eyes open. Tomorrow I will tell you how much it cost me to tear out cabinets to put in a new washer and dryer. Love you all and I am out of here. See you tomorrow. I have two doctors appointments tomorrow so I probably will not be on until late. Have a great day. So sorry you are all having our normal heat wave. I am being sincere because your blood is to thick.

DH had fainting spell today so I have ENT in the morning and then he has his Cardiologist. His Cardiologist is right next door but they are out of town for two weeks so we see one of his partners.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Well I did not get my EZ Cloner out of the box and tomorrow I am creamed. And so it is the same thing Wednesday but then I have nothing for a whole week. I will do that first thing right after I Murder DH. He is doing something he should not be doing and he knows it and I will know it when we get back from the cardiologist. Tomorrow evening if I am not in jail. New photo of the family in Spokane. They could not believe they would have to wear sweatshirts on the 4th of July. But they love it in Spokane.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

What a beautiful family Sharon. Why is it we never hear anything about those gorgeous girls? Just Luke? They are beautiful.

What is it about Spokane they like so well? Have they always lived in Las Vegas? If that's the case, Spokane will be really different for them.

Well, hope your DH's cardiologist appt. goes well and that you are not in jail 'cause I would assume that means that he is dead.

Oh well, S--t happens.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.