Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Mid-South Gardening: June Chat and Photos

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 231, Views: 861
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 21, 2010
10:03 AM

Post #7907588

This is a small flower, but I do love it

When My Sweetheart Returns

Thumbnail by slcdms
Click the image for an enlarged view.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 21, 2010
10:04 AM

Post #7907590

The tag is lost on this one too

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 21, 2010
10:07 AM

Post #7907596

the last bloom on Mayfair Season--I wanted you to look at all the bloom scars, it has had so many blooms this season, it was one of the first bloom and one day had 9 blooms on it at once !
It first bloomed on May 27th here and has the last bloom today June 21st

This message was edited Jun 21, 2010 12:08 PM

Thumbnail by slcdms

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2010
11:00 AM

Post #7907762

Sandra could your lost tag one be Classic Edge.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 21, 2010
11:08 AM

Post #7907786

No I don't think so, I have had it a while and that name does not sound familiar to me.
It does not have the double edge, that Classic Edge does either. I know I would know the name if I hear it--it has been here several years.
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 21, 2010
11:15 AM

Post #7907809

I realized while re working my bed that I have lost my Classic Edge... not sure where I got it but I think it might have been one that I got at KA...but it is gone. Not sure what happened to it, just had a tag and NO SIGN of a plant!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2010
11:22 AM

Post #7907836

Sandra here is my Classic Edge. I got it from Cindy in Oct. It looks a lot like it to me.

Thumbnail by cperdue

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 21, 2010
11:56 AM

Post #7907941

Yes, mine does favor yours
check out this picture of Classic Edge
http://intheneighborhooddaylilies.com/catalog.php?item=66
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 21, 2010
12:29 PM

Post #7908015

I've been out-of town at my daughter's house for a few days--just got back today. Seems I missed a lot while I was away--Bonnie's, Kenny's, Jim's visit to KA and Kim, etc. Ya'll could have stopped by here if I had been home and I would have gone to Kim's with you! LOL I've missed too much to comment on but I do want to say to Charlotte that I am sorry about your neighbor. I know that must have been quite an experience for the rest of you neighbors!

It was about 10 degrees cooler in Harrison where my daughter lives than it is down here. 90F seems a lot cooler than 100F! LOL It's too hot to go out and take pictures but I did get this one with the telephoto lens from my front porch just now without having to get out in the sun. This is the phlox that Sandra gave me--I don't think it has a name, does it, Sandra? Also, the white "David" phlox you gave me is blooming but I will wait until later this evening when the sun starts going down to get out and take anymore photos.

This message was edited Jun 22, 2010 6:18 AM

Thumbnail by marsue

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 21, 2010
1:05 PM

Post #7908143

I don't know the name of the purple one--I am glad it is blooming for you, I originally got mine from one of Judy's sisters.
The white one is David
Glad you are back Marilyn, I missed you !
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2010
1:04 AM

Post #7909395

So many wonderful pictures and yes I too am so far behind that I cannot comment on them all. This seems to have been an outstanding year for all of you in Miss and Ark. I have really enjoyed seeing everyone's gardens. Next year when you post again we can see how much they have changed by nature or human hands.

Kathy Ann and Bonnie this is the bloom to the swamp lily I gave you. It is blooming here now. See how the foliage stands up. I love it for the beautiful foliage.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2010
1:06 AM

Post #7909396

My Rattle box tree is sporadically blooming again. Just love this tree and can't believe it made it through all those days below 20 degrees.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2010
1:08 AM

Post #7909398

a couple of lilies blooming

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2010
1:14 AM

Post #7909400

I can't remember who gave me this hardy glad. I love it. Maybe it was Terrye.

Kim I lost most of Atom but I do have a few and will share with you. He bloomed in April but maybe I can find the foliage.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2010
1:15 AM

Post #7909401

I also have Sandra's beautiful phlox blooming.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2010
1:19 AM

Post #7909402

The birds planted this jewel for me.

Thumbnail by Riverland

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2010
2:42 AM

Post #7909431

this is a cull I bought at a local hybridizers clump sale for only three bucks..THE WHOLE CLUMP! One man's cull...another woman's treasure

Thumbnail by bigred

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2010
2:46 AM

Post #7909435

this one has a name and I know it starts w"A" but that's the best my poor tired brain can come up with

Thumbnail by bigred

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2010
2:54 AM

Post #7909440

tall garden phlox Miss Candy

Thumbnail by bigred

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2010
5:22 AM

Post #7909605

Boy, cindy, you and Peggy were certainly up early this morning! I was awake at 4 a.m. but refused to get out of bed until about 5. I went outside about 6 a.m. and did some watering and took some photos. I'll start with this daylily which came to me from Cindy. This is Minnie Morgan--my mother's maiden name was Morgan so this is a favorite for me. :o))
Thanks, Cindy!

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2010
5:23 AM

Post #7909608

This is Eye Declare from Kathy Ann.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2010
5:25 AM

Post #7909614

Graceland from Cindy

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2010
5:32 AM

Post #7909623

This is Black Cherry, a rose which Buddy and I bought in 2007. It is being crowded out by the daylilies and iris so I will need to move it this Fall.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2010
5:33 AM

Post #7909627

Shasta Daisies from Cindy

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2010
5:35 AM

Post #7909629

Lady Diana from Bonnie

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2010
5:37 AM

Post #7909633

Torch Lily--this one came from Kathy Ann and is just now blooming. I have five others that Buddy and I bought in 2007--those have already bloomed.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2010
5:38 AM

Post #7909636

white "David" phlox from Sandra--it was falling over so I had to prop it up on the purple coneflower

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2010
5:39 AM

Post #7909638

Coconut Lime and Tomato Soup echies

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2010
5:40 AM

Post #7909639

tall pink phlox from Kim

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2010
5:43 AM

Post #7909644

Bright Eyes phlox from Kathy Ann; orange milkweed in background
Kathy Ann, did I read on one of your posts that you lost your Bright Eyes? If so, I will replace it for you this Fall.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2010
5:45 AM

Post #7909650

Oranges & Lemons Gaillardia--I bought this one but I have a couple of others which Sandra and Kathy Ann have given me. That is a butterfly bush from Kathy Ann in the left background.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2010
5:47 AM

Post #7909656

some kind of daisy--it is beneath the Shasta Daisy but it is a different plant--I have lost the tag.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2010
5:48 AM

Post #7909660

a closer view of the "different daisy"

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2010
5:51 AM

Post #7909664

wildflowers in the neighbor's yard--her husband has been in Afghanistan for six months--he'll be home on Friday! Hooray! :o))

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2010
5:52 AM

Post #7909668

tiger lily

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2010
5:54 AM

Post #7909670

and one more: Nanho Blue butterfly bush from Kathy Ann

Thumbnail by marsue

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2010
6:09 AM

Post #7909697

It's so hot and miserable out there, I thnk I"ll just enjoy ya'll's flowers LOL I have a few lilies blooming out there.

That lily looks kind of like a peruvian lily cindy it's pretty, is that what it is?

i've been pullin g and yanking mints in the flower gardens and pulling up the cerise queen yarrow next, to give me some planting room out there in the sun garden. Mints don't bloom or at least I don't let them bloom and they are taking up way too much room.

I have huge holes out there now!! planting room! LOL

love your tiger lily shot marilyn.

Oh no, didn't loos e the bright eyes, it' s huge, just was questioning weather it was really called bright eyes though, doesn't look much like it when I look up bright eyes phlox in the net. Kim said it looked alot like omega phlox. I think it was a no namer when I received it, but sure is one of my best phloxes.

my david is falling over too, I think it's getting pushed by the louisiana irises though LOL it's crowded out there, it's a flower eat flower world ha ha
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2010
6:20 AM

Post #7909727

LOL, KA!! So you are saying that my Bright Eyes might not be Bright Eyes, either? I'll have to look up the Omega phlox.
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 22, 2010
6:40 AM

Post #7909780

Beautiful photos Marilyn... glad you were able to get out early before it gets unbearable out there! Love that bright eyes or whatever its name is ... Marilyn, will my Minnie Pearl Phlox bloom again or is it finished? each little stalk bloomed but I thought it might bloom again but I wasn't sure...??

Also, should I deadhead my bee balm? if so, how far should I cut it off... and will my penstemon bloom again if I deadhead it?? I am not sure what will rebloom and what will not...

Thanks !
Genna
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2010
10:57 AM

Post #7910478

LOL, someone id'd that as bright eyes, so it might be, it just doesn't look like it to me.

i never remember receiving omega though I do remember a bright eyes years ago. i'm getting old and names are getting harder for me to keep up with.

sorry about that ;0)
tryliv
Booneville, MS

June 22, 2010
12:39 PM

Post #7910729

Marilyn, is that shasta smaller than your others? I gave out several "Little Princess" shastas last year. It is a semi-dwarf that gets about 12-16 inches high. Mine have been blooming for several weeks now.

Terrye
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2010
12:41 PM

Post #7910736

I have a question, hope someone can help.

Is it true if you get a government paying job that your college loan will be paid off in xx amount of years by the government even if you have lots left to pay on it.

And if you have a job working for the state that same rule applies but in say l0 years in stead of 5 years the government will pay off the college debt.

I heard/read not sure this somewhere. and never paid attention, but now I 'd like to find out, as my DD landed a good job at ASU beebe administrative possition in the library there, and that is a state funded college. so these benifits would apply to her.

she's got a huge college debt she'll be having to start paying on in a couple months.

Does anybody know where I can find info to verify if this is true or not? and what we'd have to do to make sure it's going to help her.
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 22, 2010
1:19 PM

Post #7910840

Sorry, I have never heard this... I would check with the financial aid office at the college that she attended. IF it was a state school as well, they would know about such offers...or at least I would think so. I know there are some companies (very few) that agree to help pay off student loans, but I have never heard of this... PLEASE let us know what you find out!!

Congrats on her landing the job! Good luck... sure sounds like a great deal if they will help pay off her loans as well...

Genna

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 22, 2010
1:34 PM

Post #7910874

Congratulation on Amber getting a job, I don't know much about any of this, but-----
Amanda is hoping to get a job at a special circumstance school and if she stays there a certain amount of time, the state does help pay back her loans. These school are located in poorer areas, and places that people prefer not to teach. That is the only way to keep teachers in these schools--I am sure I am not using the right term, but not every school qualifies for help with student loans, just certain one--we are also in MS-and you being in AR there is probably a difference.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2010
1:37 PM

Post #7910885

LOL I was wrong, sorry for the big let down. this is what I read

http://blog.heritage.org/2010/01/27/the-public-student-loan-option/

you have to be in public service and the debt is forgiven in 10 years.

It was worth checking into though LOL What a let down. ;0)
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2010
1:38 PM

Post #7910890

Sounds like she's going into public service. which is what that link above talks about.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 22, 2010
1:42 PM

Post #7910901

It will be a state program that Amanda is looking at. She told me all about it and I think it is 3 years service --but I am so easily confused I could be wrong, but I know it is a state program.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2010
1:57 PM

Post #7910943

Congrats to Amber on her job. Hope everything works out well for her.

Genna: I don't think Minnie Pearl will bloom again but I really don't remember what it did last summer. I do remember cutting back my monardas(bee balm) after they bloomed because they had grown pretty tall and they did bloom again, to my surprise. I don't know about the penstemon. You must have gotten that from Kathy Ann because she is the one who gave me my two penstemons.

Terrye: that "different daisy" that is growing next to one of my Shasta daisies is smaller. I am going to move it this fall because the Shasta is overshadowing it. I was delighted when the little daisy bloomed because I didn't know exactly what it was or where it came from--there was no tag beside it. Does mine look like your "Little Princess"? Here is the close-up of the bloom again.

This message was edited Jun 22, 2010 3:51 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2010
2:21 PM

Post #7910989

I usually do'nt dead head my penstemon, that's how I get so many babies out there, I don't know if it will rebloom or not, I did hear that the monarda will rebloom if you dead head it, I dead headed last night, we'll seee, I just cut below the bloom. and the butterfly bushes will keep blooming if you dead head them
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2010
4:23 PM

Post #7911289

no flowers here, but Look what i've done.

I've pulled up all the cerise queen yarrow. it was taking over and I hated that. Now I have a huge area 5 foot or larger that I can fill with better plants.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2010
4:24 PM

Post #7911291

i've also decided to pull up alot of the mint, and do away with it, since I don't let it bloom, it's not really all that showy, and I have two huge areas now I can fill with something else.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2010
4:26 PM

Post #7911296

IN that first photo, i'm going to cut out all that plastic first, since it doesn't really keep out the weeds, I have to weed still, so I might as well let the plants get good roots on them, that's the area that the lions tail would reallly take over in if I let it. It comes up so late in the year though. I still have plants popping up even now.

Another big hole.

I think i'll keep the mojito mint and just do away with all the others. that are out there.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2010
4:27 PM

Post #7911297

Now if I can get Darren to haul me a few loads of mulch in all these places LOL, specially where all that plastic is.

I may have to shut down progress when I get my water bill;0)
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2010
6:34 PM

Post #7911771

Charlotte, I'm afraid your daylily isn't Classic Edge. Yours looks more like Heady Wine. Here's Classic Edge. It has a much bolder edge than yours. You might check with Tinker's Database to verify your daylilies.

http://db.tinkersgardens.com/?script=3.1

We sometimes mix up the tags or hybridizers mix them up or just dig the wrong plant. So when each one blooms, I always check Tinkers and Daves databases to be sure mine are true to name. It's so frustrating when they aren't.

This message was edited Jun 22, 2010 7:43 PM

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 22, 2010
6:49 PM

Post #7911814

I don't think I would give up on it being classic edge this season--sometimes a daylily will take a couple of years to settle in to its new home, and next year it may look very different. I would just remind myself to check it again next year and if it does not develop the edge more by next year, put a no id tag on it if you want to trade it.
That is a beautiful picture, Nancy Ann--I didn't make any today, I think most of mine have bloomed now , still a few that are just buds, but the peak of the season is past I think.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2010
6:54 PM

Post #7911825

I'll make a note to check it again next year. I got it from Cindy and she does a good job of keeping up with her's. This was the first season it has bloomed for me, just got it in Oct. It might be like Sandra said and just be funky first year blooms.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

June 23, 2010
4:51 AM

Post #7912654

it's getting so blasted hot and humid,I'm coming in earlier and earlier so I've started my fall market crafts

Thumbnail by bigred

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2010
5:11 AM

Post #7912689

P, those are wonderful!

Charlotte, did you want me to save and return the jars...or any other container?
lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 23, 2010
5:27 AM

Post #7912758

Well here's what I just saw outside...I was just going out the back door and stopped dead in my tracks...yelled at the mother..I grabbed the camera and went out on the front porch...he went from the back by the barn into the pasture...through my side yard and he went right down the road in front of the house..came back into the yard by the driveway and went into the woods on the other side of the house...I yelled at him the whole time "get out of my yard"...a few times he stopped walking to look at me...he's big and i'm pissed...shooting in the air does not help...GRRRRRR

Thumbnail by lilsista59

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 23, 2010
5:30 AM

Post #7912768

I don't know why you are shooting in the air--shoot the bear !!!!!!!!!!! We won't tell anyone
lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 23, 2010
5:30 AM

Post #7912769

Here's my Ditchlilies out by the road out front...

Thumbnail by lilsista59

lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 23, 2010
5:36 AM

Post #7912780

Sandra a dangerous bear is an injured bear..so if you don't kill him on the first shot
it can become dangerous for the whole area..and there's lots of kids around here

My new bed out by the road...Triumphator lilies are growing here..
the front yard slopes down to the road and he's on the road...
if the pic's are blurry..I might have been shaking...but I was mad..this is the second time
I was going out the back door in weeks only to find a bear in my back yard...

Thumbnail by lilsista59

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2010
5:38 AM

Post #7912785

i'd be scared to go out side phyllis.

A mistagged purple king gladiolus I got from a coop this year, Tisk tisk, pretty, I'll have to enjoy it as a no named one like all the rest.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2010

Post #7912787

oh my gosh Peggy, I love those arrangements, those are neat, and you are GOOD! They would look great on my porch or back patio LOL

Fireball hibiscus is blooming

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2010

Post #7912789

Royal sunset lily

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2010

Post #7912790

Lily Arachon

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2010

Post #7912791

orange art lily in full bloom

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2010
5:41 AM

Post #7912793

plum crazy hibiscus

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2010

Post #7912795

a pink glad

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2010

Post #7912796

another pink one

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2010
5:42 AM

Post #7912801

i've posted this pic before, but these crazy flowers are suppose to be blue with white centers. they are white this year.

last year they were pale blue with white centers, not sur e what's going on with them.

this is suppose to be katherine plhlox, which I bought from bluestone 50% off last year.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2010
5:43 AM

Post #7912804

I get to go to the eye doc this morning to see what the problem is with all the double vision, I hope I find out something.

lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 23, 2010
5:45 AM

Post #7912809

KA...I am...I don't stray too far from my front door...LOL
and my beds are showing it...weeds...LOL
but unless I have someone standing watch with a gun...
i'm not doing it...
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2010
6:00 AM

Post #7912836

I'm sorry you have to go through that, that's jus tnot fair at all. I'd go nuts. the bear MUST GO ! LOL
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2010
6:20 AM

Post #7912892

Does anybody know if there's any stores locally that may sell cheese cloth?

I've ordered some rennet and i'm going to get some goatmilk and make some halloumi greek cheese and I need to get a couple supplies first like some cheese cloth, it's been years since I made any cheese. I had some of this yesterday flavored with mint and I loved it. suppose to be able to grill it and it keeps it's shape, doens't melt, and is real creamy inside after grilling, grilling also changes it's taste. Can't wait to make some.

I need to find some cheese cloth though.

gen2026
Camden, AR

June 23, 2010
6:25 AM

Post #7912909

I agree - looks like your game and fish commission (or whatever it is called in your state) would have to do SOMETHING - especially if there are kids in the area. Plus, all those gunshots fired into the air come down somewhere - and if there are that many people around, someone might even get hit by falling gunfire. I would be on the phone every day with the TOP whoever in the state complaining!! and I wouldn't discuss it with any people who aren't high enough up to help! But then I am VERY persistent when I have a problem ...learned that working in insurance YEARS ago!

Are they waiting until it attacks someone?? Looks like to me instead of risking it being shot - they would prefer to relocate it and its family... are you in a very rural area? or is he venturing into town?

I love nature, but I wouldn't want to greet a bear ...

have a friend who had a 10' alligator in her back yard with her kids back 3 or 4 yrs ago... and she called the G&F... I would not have handled it that way...
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 23, 2010
6:26 AM

Post #7912913

KA - I purchased cheese cloth at Walmart several years back... I doubt our new store has it - but the old one did. Maybe the person you get your goat's milk from might be familiar with where you can get it??
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2010
6:33 AM

Post #7912933

KA - we sell it, but the roll is not cheap. It is a pretty large roll for around $43 + tax. That is my cost.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2010
6:53 AM

Post #7912985

You sell cheesecloth Bonnie? what do they use it for in office supplies?

I'll try walmart this morning when I go to town. don't need much.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2010
7:03 AM

Post #7913012

It is actually used in alot of applications for what we sell it for... used to be mainly for printing/prepress.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 23, 2010
8:18 AM

Post #7913239

Listen to Bonnie teaching us something this morning--who would have thought that cheesecloth would have been office supplies-LOL

Genna, Phyllis has talked to the right people, they only have 2 traps and they have them set out where a "dangerous" bear has been--they gave her some literature on "How to live with bears"--I would have been tempted to shoot the Game Warden !

I have one of those lilies blooming today

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 23, 2010
8:19 AM

Post #7913240

Here is some of my phlox

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 23, 2010
8:20 AM

Post #7913243

This is a Westborne Seedling--Phyllis bought some last year and shared with me

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 23, 2010
8:21 AM

Post #7913246

Starman;s Quest

I think it is today Cindy gets to start her injections for her back. I tried to call her yesterday but did not get an answer

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 23, 2010
8:22 AM

Post #7913249

NO ID

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 23, 2010
8:22 AM

Post #7913251

Playing with Sharks

Thumbnail by slcdms

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2010
8:35 AM

Post #7913283

Yeah - pretty odd for me to let ya'll into my "world" of knowledge, huh ... especially since it is so small. lol.

So hope Cindy's shots help her. Speaking of that - how is your back Sandra... and Terrye... how is your ankle ?

I started my new hours yesterday and it was wonderful !! Finally, however next week, I will have to do a full week to cover my boss since he's out of town.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2010
8:47 AM

Post #7913316

Most of my double daylilies are blooming right now. The doubles really amaze me. Here's Pink Peppermint.

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2010
8:51 AM

Post #7913330

Here's Pink Pompon - and yes, that's really how it's spelled--no typo. I keep wanting to call it pompoM, but that's not how it's registered. (Maybe a typo when the hybridizer registered it?? :-) Isn't it lovely?

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2010
8:52 AM

Post #7913333

Vanilla Fluff always makes me crave ice cream! I have to stay away from her.

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2010
8:54 AM

Post #7913341

Zella Virginia - one of the first doubles I ever got, and I still love it. I've not seen this color on any other double.

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2010
8:58 AM

Post #7913360

The Doubles Bed - of course next year it will be all different as I continue redesigning my gardens. I think I'll put a bench facing the pond under this Paulownia tree, with plants behind it. Some of these doubles will go in my wedding garden--like Bubbly (what's a wedding without a little "bubbly"?), Two to Tango, Night Embers, and Victoria's Secret.

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

June 23, 2010
9:06 AM

Post #7913385

I had my procedure this morning. I think things went well. Off to bed to get some shut eye now.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2010
9:07 AM

Post #7913387

Got great news yesterday. I had a bunch of tests run Fri to check my progress, and everything came out great. My blood pressure, cholesterol, and sugar are all down to normal. My liver, thyroid and kidneys are all functioning properly. I feel great, better than I have in 15 years! I don't even feel 46. I feel more like 30 now.

I had gained 10 lbs since my last doc visit in Oct. But Dr. F breezed thru the door and said, "You look great! How much have you lost since I last saw you?" I said, "NONE! I gained 10!!" He examined me and then said, "I can't believe you gained weight. You look much slimmer. It must be muscle with all the gardening you do." Well, maybe. My clothes do fit looser and I can even get into some clothes in the next smaller size. I'm not retaining water; he checked for that. But still, I do NOT want to gain weight--whether it's muscle or not. I have enough muscle.

Anyway, I was thrilled that all my test results were good and great. My cholesterol is only 130. I dropped it over 60 points by switching to a healthy diet of primarily fruits, veggies, walnuts and yogurt. I occasionally eat out and pig out at parties, but my main routine is healthy, and it's paying off. So I can keep playing in the dirt!

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2010
9:28 AM

Post #7913457

That sounds wonderful Nancy Ann ! You sound like you are on the right track !
Love that Pink Peppermint !

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2010
10:16 AM

Post #7913572

On the run today! Dropped GS off at the airport early this morning and now catching up on stuff I need to get done.
Kim I don't need any of those containers.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 23, 2010
10:22 AM

Post #7913586

I have Double Pompon--I didn't know there was a Pink Pompon--yours looks a little darker than mine, but I love mine and know you do yours too !
Terrye had that Vanilla Fluff blooming Sat and it is beautiful in person--we have seen some beautiful pictures this season--but they are still more beautiful in person !

I hope the procedure gives you a little relief Cindy

Bonnie-you get one whole week of your new schedule-huh???
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2010
10:23 AM

Post #7913591

Yes !! Yipee !
... and how are you feeling Sandra ?

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 23, 2010
10:43 AM

Post #7913636

I felt better before I mowed the yard this week--LOL--first time I mowed since 07
I am doing better-really, my neck and shoulder has been giving me fits but I am going to see Sharon tomorrow and let her massage it out of there, I can be spoiled again now that Jerry is working !!! I really think my back is better now
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

June 23, 2010
10:46 AM

Post #7913645

duckie & K_a...Thanks. You can lean them against a wall or hang them on the wall.

lilsista...EEEK!

Thumbnail by bigred

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2010
10:55 AM

Post #7913669

Sandra I'm so glad your back is healing. Be very careful and don't overdo it. Massage is wonderful, isn't it? I have one scheduled for next Tues. I have bone spurs in my spine, so I'm always in some pain. The massage therapy really helps.

Pink Pompon is a Stamile creation. Double Pompon is a Miles Creation. (Wonder why they both spell pompom wrong?) Mine has that Munson face, kind of like Faces of Sunset. I just love it. It reminds me of a monkey face.
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 23, 2010
11:13 AM

Post #7913727

Did I miss something? What procedure did Cindy have today? Last I heard she had an epidural steriod injection,,... did they do another? or something different? Hope whatever it is helps!

Genna
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2010
11:20 AM

Post #7913744

That's real good news Nancy on your check up. I guess I just inherited high cholesterol.

I had a new perscription today for new lenses with prisms in the lenses to help with double vision. No real reason as far as they know why I have so much double vision, except to ask my heart doc if the simvastim is causing muscle weakness in the eye. I think it's just eye stress. and boy did it make a difference when I looked through those prism lenses.

I got a bad headache now.

Hope things continue to go well Cindy.

I'm totally blown away by that 130 cholesterol count Nancy. I know I eat healthy pack away all kinds of the same stuff you eat. ARGH!!!!

I'm praying for l00% of our 20% rain today.

New lenses cost me $160 and 70 for the eye exam. Good grief.

Kenny I'm making those mashed potatoes tonight for supper LOL Just wanted to rub it in.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 23, 2010

Post #7913754

Today was the first injection for Cindy

Here is a picture of
Double Pompon

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 23, 2010
11:24 AM

Post #7913762

Ok Kathy Ann--glad you got some new glasses, but when your head feels better you need to share the mashed potato secret !
Did you call your doc yet to ask about that med?

No rain here either--but it is cloudy now
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2010
11:32 AM

Post #7913773

No secret to the mashed potatoes, when Kenny, bonnie and Jim came over, I think Kenny Drooled all over my yukon gold potatoes that we had dug and put into the garage. LOL I was just teasing him.

Not called the doc yet, have a heart check up on the 30th will find out then. I think the prisms in the lenses will help me a great deal. I did ask the eye doctor if I would look like I had 4 eyes if I wore those prisms she said, NO. LOL
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 23, 2010
11:52 AM

Post #7913827

Kathy Ann, that is just what you need--more room to plant more flowers! LOL Beautiful flowers in all your photos. My glads are up and already falling over although they haven't started blooming yet. I need to get out there tonight and stake them. I didn't know you had to plant them so deep.
Phyllis: yikes! I can't imagine having to deal with a bear! Why don't they capture him and cart him off to somewhere really deep in the woods?
Sandra: so many pretty daylilies! I especially love that Starman's Quest. That massage will make you feel good all over!
Nancy Ann: pretty blooms and pretty beds, too. Good job on the lifestyle change!
Peggy: that decorative "ladder" in your last post looks like it is floating in the air.

Kathy Ann: try a paint store for some of that cheesecloth or Home Depot or Lowe's in the paint dept. You should be able to find a small piece of it that is pretty cheap.

I took a few more pictures this morning before it got too hot.
Gunny's rose is blooming again plus she has put out a couple of really long branches. I may have to prune her back to keep her from crowding the other roses. What do you think, Sandra?

Thumbnail by marsue

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 23, 2010
11:56 AM

Post #7913841

It will not hurt a thing, give her a haircut anytime you need to--
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 23, 2010
12:04 PM

Post #7913855

Kathy Ann, we crossed. Go to webmd.com and type in the name of your medication and see what side effects come up for it. Make sure it is spelled correctly when you type it in. I'm glad the glasses are helping.

Cindy, I hope the injection helps considerably!

This is a blue salvia that Kathy Ann gave me. I can't remembver what the name of it is--blue something or other--but it is too hot, or maybe I am too lazy, to go out and look at the tag right now.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 23, 2010
12:06 PM

Post #7913862

This is Medallion--with black spot. :o((

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 23, 2010
12:09 PM

Post #7913867

It's hard to tell in this photo, but the moon vine that Charlotte gave me has made it to the top of the ladder. Now what do I do with it and when will it start blooming?

Thumbnail by marsue

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2010
12:22 PM

Post #7913911

KathyAnn, I hope the glasses help. I hope your medication isn't causing eye problems. But if it's the culprit, maybe the doc can switch you to something else. Of course, with all that sewing you do, it could very well be eye strain.

Kathy, to lower my cholesterol, I eat very little fat these days. Most everything I eat is raw fruits, veggies and walnuts. Nuts in general are high in fat, so I eat a variety of nuts in moderation. But I eat lots of walnuts. Walnuts are high in Omega 3s--the good fat, which is good for lowering cholesterol. I also take 3 Omega 3s (fish oil) a day. I eat almost no red meat, except for the occasional burger or my brother's steaks (can't resist those specially marinated steaks). I also cut out most sugar. What sugar I do get is natural sugar in my fruits. I drink green tea, which is also great for detoxing the body, and I sweeten it with Stevia, not sugar. I eat very little processed foods, and when I do, I read the labels. I don't eat much biscuits, cornbread, white bread, crackers, rice or pasta anymore either. Any bread or crackers I do eat is multigrain.

Of course, when I go out to eat with a friend or to a party, all rules are forgotten! But I've found these little lapses actually help keep me on track because I can eat anything I want--just not all in one day. LOL
tryliv
Booneville, MS

June 23, 2010
12:26 PM

Post #7913916

It is hot out there now! I shoveled mulchawhile after weeding out a bed or two and digging out some stuff. I'm done outside for the day. Hopefully it will cool off some this evening.

My ankle is better. Thanks, Bonnie! Stiff some pain and swelling especially after I've worked all morning on it. But it is better (I'm whispering your name ,Sandra! lol) My main problem is still wearing shoes! lol Can't dig in my sandles though. I'm not dancing yet. I would have tried it last night but since I'm going to Chicago this weekend I didn't want to chance it.

Had to water my beds this morning. But I can't complain. That;s the first time this year so far. I know some of you have been watering alot all ready.

Cindy, hope that injection works! Take care of that back.

Genna, I'll have plenty of DLs so if you can't come in October maybe someone can bring some back for you.

KA, if you have a HA from your glasses you better stay out of this sun cause it will only make it worse!

Phyllis, I can't imagine having to watch for bears everytime I go out in the yard! Surely F&G will do something about them. Stay on them !!

Terrye
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2010
12:39 PM

Post #7913947

i'm staying out of the sun, I bought a huge bag of walnuts at Sams;0) don't eat alot of raw veggies though, eat alot of cooked one s .

Marilyn is it blue saphire salvia?

Been trying to get my ipod up and going a gain, stupid thing to be doing right now. I can't see much when I put my glasses on ha.

I found some cheese cloth at walmart in the craft section .
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 23, 2010
1:02 PM

Post #7914019

KA - hope those glasses do the trick... guess it will take a little while to adjust to the new prescription? Good luck getting rid of that headache,... give the ipod to Darren - you know he can get it going quickly! :) Glad to hear you found the cheesecloth without having to take Bonnie up on the whole roll!

Guess I had my info wrong... I thought Cindy had already had her first injection last week! I can't keep up worth a flip and my memory is really getting bad !! Jessi says i need to eat blueberries to try to improve it ! LOL

Thanks Terrye... I hope to work it out so that maybe I can come to your place on Saturday - but I am not sure how far the drive is and if I can do that and back in one day! Will have to see how my back is feeling at that time, and what else besides football is going on. Hopefully if I can't make it, I can convince someone to haul them at least back to Arkansas for me! :) I really would love to see your place in person.

Marilyn, your roses are beautiful... if you give Gunny's rose a hair cut, see if you can root one of those pieces for me. Mine never came back after the deer ate it down! A couple of my roses came back, but that one didn't. If I get another one I am putting it in the back yard with the dog so HOPEFULLY they won't eat it !! :) It is hard to believe that vine has already climbed to the top - bet it will be beautiful when it starts blooming! My little clematis that I planted a month or more ago have just BARELY grown... BUT, they are still alive so that is a good sign! Ha!

I am wondering how much a bear trap costs... since they only have two of them??? I might be having to figure out how to build my own or be purchasing one... then of course, they might not come get it you trapped it !! THEN what would you do????

Genna

tryliv
Booneville, MS

June 23, 2010
1:10 PM

Post #7914040

I won't complain about my coons and armadillos again. If I do all I have to do is think of Phyllis' bears and that's that.

Terrye
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 23, 2010
1:11 PM

Post #7914044

Agreed!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 23, 2010
1:14 PM

Post #7914050

I will root some more of Gunny's Rose over the winter--if I am still kicking-LOL--I take the cuttings in Nov.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 23, 2010
1:24 PM

Post #7914072

Well. I braved the heat to go look at the tag and, yes, it is Blue Sapphire salvia. It is about 4 ft. tall and the stems on it are bigger around, at the bottom, than my thumb. Here's a different view.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 23, 2010

Post #7914119

I don't know if the photos I posted today are hazy because of the early morning light when I took them or if it is because I left my camera on the window sill outside for 4 hours and the heat affected the card! I guess I'll find out when I take more pictures. I'm really bad about putting things down, whether it be my glasses, my phone, or my camera, or whatever and then I forget what I have done with them. :o~~
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 23, 2010

Post #7914120

That is really pretty Marilyn. I have been really disappointed in my salvias this year... they have not gotten nearly as tall as last year (except for hot lips which is a lot bigger) and they hardly have any blooms on them. I put some osmocote around them a couple of weeks ago thinking maybe they needed fertilizer, but it hasn't seemed to do anything... ?? Suggestions anyone??

gen2026
Camden, AR

June 23, 2010
1:39 PM

Post #7914123

Maybe IF it was from the heat that it will be ok once it cools back off...
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 23, 2010
1:41 PM

Post #7914134

Well, of course my salvias in the back yard flower beds are in lots of horse manure so I guess that is what has helped them. I haven't fertilized anything in those beds since we made them in the fall of 2007. I probably need to add more horse manure this fall or some other kind of fertilizer.
However, there is a mystery. The hardy hibiscus that Kathy Ann gave me are both planted in the bed along my back fence and they are only about a foot tall. Chrissy has one that is in clay dirt and it is huge so go figure that one out! LOL
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2010
3:07 PM

Post #7914381

Worked outside from 8:30 until 1:00...then I splashed in the duck's pool ;o) I got all of the impatiens planted! Actually, I planted everything which needed to be except for the azalea. I am going to plant it later when it is not so hot. I am going to take a picture of one pot that I planted today...I am quite pleased with it...I will post it later.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2010
3:23 PM

Post #7914422

It really saddens me to see my vegetable garden going down the drain like it is.

Last year I swore I wasn't going to plant a spring garden, but rather wait till may and june and plant a mid year /fall garden, Everything that we've recently planted in the past month is diong fabulous, it's young , green and thriving.

I'm about to loose all the cantelopes and watermelons. and the corn too. I want to plant a fall crop of tomatoes because all the tomatoes were going to get is what's on the vines now, and there aren't that many of them to be had. no new blooms on anything.

I have a friend who wanted the green beans and asked me to keep watering them so she could pick them but Danny said no more watering the beans, as he knows Im finished with them. He said he's not wasting the water because the bill is going to be high enough as it is.

I'm still trying to convince him to clear a spot for some more tomatoes so I can have plenty to can. but i've not convinced him it's worth it yet.

It almost makes you not want to put in a garden when your given weather like this. Water from the hose isn't helping one bit either. UG.

I'm such a party pooper today ain't I LOL

I have other things to be thankful for, and I guess I should concentrate on those things.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 23, 2010
3:27 PM

Post #7914437

I was talking to Mamma about the same thing yesterday, you can almost buy someone else's veggies as cheap as you can grow your own. Her neighbors were putting up corn they had bought from someone is what got the conversation started.

I am sorry your hard work seems to be going down the drain--I would hate to have to feed our family with what you can grow these days.
I watered Jerry's 6 tomatoes this morning, the patio tomato I bought at Rita's had 3 tomatoes on it and it has stopped growing, just sitting there and it has been watered and fertilized.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2010
3:36 PM

Post #7914461

Can't believe some of you have been out there working until noon or so. It is hot out there! I'm behind on everything. I have lots I need to do outside. I wasn't able to get much done with Jake here. Now I have some work related stuff I have got to get done. Hopefully this weekend I can get some things done outside.

Sandra glad to hear your back is so much better.

Terrye can't believe you are out in this heat!

Kim can't wait to see you pots.

Cindy hope your injections are going to help. From what I've heard it could take several days to really be able to tell.

Kathy Ann I think I take the same med you do - I need to look it up also. I've had a couple of times when I've had a swimming sort of dizzy sensation. Has happened when I was inside working on the computer. It has gone away in a 10 or 15 minutes but wonder if it could be caused by the med.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2010
3:41 PM

Post #7914469

I have a couple of tomato plants in pots. I did buy 2 more on sale at Lowes a few weeks ago, but they are just starting to take off. I've gotten 2 tomatoes so far. I am growing some kind of vine that just came up on it's own from dirt from my compost pile. It's either watermelon or cantelope. I'm just curious as to what it will do. I have a few tomato plants that have come up in the back. I have a feeling they are in too shady of an area but I'm also leaving them alone.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2010
4:28 PM

Post #7914615

WEll, if I find out anything about the meds and the vision I'll let you know. I should probably call but Dr Blue is out of town this week.

Last year corn was nowhere to be found on the side of the road, is why we grew our own this year, and now this year, i've seen quite a bit of it on the side of the road. Corn/ potatoes and a few other things are cheaper to buy.

it's when you pay 5.00 for a butternut squash that makes me upset when I can grow them for pennies.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 23, 2010
4:44 PM

Post #7914663

Yes, that is why I don't buy them, they are high--
tryliv
Booneville, MS

June 23, 2010
5:48 PM

Post #7914849

It didn't feel as bad to me this morning as it has been as long as I stayed in the shade which I tried to do as much as possible.

I cut back some hydrangeas the other day and had a lot of trimmings left. I had a big pile of compost that is staying real moist down in it so I decided to try to root some cuttings. I got them all trimmed and dipped and stuck them all over the back side of the pile. Probably at least 30 cuttings. Ray decided yesterday to haul some mulch. Guess where he unloaded it. Right! right on top of my compost. So all of my cuttings are about 4 feet deep in mulch now. Bless him. Today he tried to uncover them... with the tractor! lol Needless to say my cuttings are no more. But I do have a nice big pile of mulch!

Sandra, I actually pulled out my beading this afternoon. I bought a necklace on sale at Kohls the other day that I wanted to convert to a bracelet and earrings.
I lucked out. the new girl we having working in the shop LOVES to work outside! I can't wait to let her! lol As soon as they get caught up and Shanna lets me. lol

Terrye

This message was edited Jun 23, 2010 6:57 PM

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 23, 2010
5:52 PM

Post #7914864

That is great news that the new girl loves outside--sorry about the cuttings-but like you said, you do have more mulch
I have taken a beading break, thinking about doing some more hangers tomorrow after my massage, I found a little thicker wire the other day at the Booneville Wal-Mart on our way home
lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 23, 2010
5:53 PM

Post #7914865

Heck i'm glad we decided not to plant one this year,,,
with all the wildlife in my yard these days...it wouldn't stand a chance..

We think there's 3 different bears coming here near the house..
I live in Bear Country...Very rural...the family lives up and down the road it's a 200 acre family farm...so there's little ones around the yards but not out in the woods..everyones being careful right now..
there's only 2 Game Wardens for the whole county and the one I talked to that came here is going on vacation..and all the traps are already in use..I called last year and got even less of a response then I did this year
Maybe when a trap becomes available he'll call..he didn't really say...
Gary said before i called that they wouldn't do anything...
That's why people take things into their own hands...

Here's Dominic Daylily blooming today..it's a lot darker then what the camera is taking...
Everyone who has seen it today said wow...LOL

Thumbnail by lilsista59

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2010
6:39 PM

Post #7914979

Yep, You have to love ray for helping you get your mulch pile bigger though. Bummer on those cuttings. I have a hard time rooting anything this time of year. I took my exercize partners through the gardens tonight, they didn't look so sad when it was this late.

nothing was wilting believe it or not LOL

we 're suppose to have 40% chance of rain tomorrow. I hope and pray we do get some.

picked my first zipper cream peas today. they seem to be holding up well in this heat.
lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 23, 2010
7:06 PM

Post #7915061

A tango one..either cappuccino or White pixels

Thumbnail by lilsista59

lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 23, 2010
7:15 PM

Post #7915091

A NOID for now daylily..

Thumbnail by lilsista59

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2010
7:20 PM

Post #7915110

Yummy, KA...I will be up to get those peas tomorrow ;o))
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2010
7:38 PM

Post #7915172

oh nice phyllis, I got that cappaccino one, but don't think it's bloomed yet.

I haven't seen it anyways. I might have lost it.

I love those tango lilies, their beautiful

I'm off to go hide the peas now he he.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2010
7:47 PM

Post #7915199

I bet I can sniff them out ;o))
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2010
8:21 PM

Post #7915251

Marilyn when my moonvine got to the top of my arch I just started threading it down the other side. Every morning I'd spend a few minutes tucking it in - of course it wants to grow up toward the sun so it'll put out shoots going up but then it just covers everything with blooms. They usually start to bloom around the 4th of July depending on when they were planted. Mine is still tiny but once they get going they move so I know I'll be seeing blooms before I know it. I cannot wait I love those moonflower blooms
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2010
8:27 PM

Post #7915268

Anybody here recognize this plant? I got it at a MG sale and it was marked just as an ASTER. It is waist high and doesn't look like any aster I ever saw so I'm wondering what it is. I mean don't get me wrong if it is an aster it is going to be a beauty!

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2010
8:31 PM

Post #7915280

It's healthy, your right, it doesn't look like an aster, I'm not sure what it is though. it looks like it's about to bloom, you'll have to take another pic of the bloom when time comes. we might be able to id it then.

Waist high? wow.!
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2010
8:32 PM

Post #7915285

That'd be chin high for you missy:)
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2010
8:34 PM

Post #7915290

It was big and healthy when I bought it - not that big obviously but it isn't like maybe the real plant died and this was just in the pot. But you know how those plant sales are so who knows - it is bound to be interesting. I hope this is not some invasive weed I've planted:( That would be sad!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2010
9:06 PM

Post #7915358

LOL your right about that more than likely. doesn't look like a weed .
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

June 24, 2010
3:35 AM

Post #7915674

Love your moonflower ladder marsue. I don't have a ladder to use so I used crepe myrtles trimmings to build a tower for my painted lady runner beans. I have moonflower and mini white cukes growing on an old bed frame my daughter gave me. I'll get pictures as soon as it's light out

Thumbnail by bigred

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2010
8:42 AM

Post #7916285

Karen, I have a second moonvine growing up the back of the ladder and it is almost as tall as the one in front. There is a tree with limbs hanging over the ladder so it wouldn't surprise me if the moonvine starts growing up into the tree limbs! LOL
Thanks, Peggy. That's a good idea about using the crepe myrtle trimmings to make the tower for your vines to grow up. I wouldn't have thought of that but I like the idea--sure beats having to buy one!

I spent a couple hours outside this morning--trimming back the daisies and coneflowers so they will bloom again. I also trimmed the O&L gaillardia and in the process, I accidentally pulled up part of the gaillardia so I replanted that part in the new portion of my garden that I made last week. Did the same thing with some of that Stone's Throw Pink monarda.
Kathy Ann, did you say that the STP might be mis-tagged since it is purple and not pink?
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2010
9:43 AM

Post #7916438

I 'm not really sure Marilyn, i can't find a pic on the net to compare it to. and not sure where mine came from many years ago. it' snot as pink as the other pink ones out tehre, but not purple either.
lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 24, 2010
10:38 AM

Post #7916607

White Pixels today..their more on the red side then the Cappuccino Ones..
I love them Too KA... added more this year..they haven't bloomed yet...

Thumbnail by lilsista59

Ems_Garden
Slidell, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 24, 2010
10:58 AM

Post #7916650

Beautiful blooms everyone - I am so far behind I only skimmed through but love them all!
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 24, 2010

Post #7916726

Are the tango lilies a special type or are they considered to be part of the oriental lilies?
They sure are beautiful... I had never heard of them until KA started posting all her beautiful pictures of them this summer.

Genna

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 24, 2010
11:38 AM

Post #7916752

Well, HELLO--Emily--bout time you showed back up, thought I was going to have to come down there and renew for you-LOL

Marilyn, I hope you are not getting too hot in this heat, my stuff is starting to look bad, the foliage is all turning yellow on the daylilies and the blooms are getting smaller too. This heat is just too much for the gardens and the gardeners too!!

Genna, Phyllis knows a lot more about lilies than I do, so I will let her answer your question about that--I know I have enjoyed all the ones she has sent me.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2010
11:57 AM

Post #7916835

I believe that they are a hybrid asiatic lily but don't quote me, their new to me thi syear I've been enjoying them though, I can't remember if they had a fragrance or not, I didn't bend to sniff LOL

GUESS WHAT!!! It's BLACK OUTSIDE> Yeah, I know i'm screaming. I 'm about to find out how noah felt when he found dry land. I'm going to be just as happy when I see RAIN!!! I feel blessed already and it's not even raining yet.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 24, 2010
12:02 PM

Post #7916847

I hope you will send it my way when you get enough of it-LOL
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 24, 2010
1:23 PM

Post #7917099

It is overcast here too - but not a drop yet... Hope you get some rain KA!

Genna

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 24, 2010
1:25 PM

Post #7917109

Here is my crazy flower--I love these so much, just never know what to call them !!

Thumbnail by slcdms

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2010
1:53 PM

Post #7917221

The high winds we just got with our rains laid all the corn over, don't know if we can save it or not. the corn on the end isn't worth saving cause it's too short . but the silver queen corn is what I hope we can save.

Sometimes, when it rains it pours.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 24, 2010
1:54 PM

Post #7917225

Woohoo - I just got "light speed" internet. lol.
Not high speed - but still much better than dial-up. We didn't know our telephone service offered it.

Sandra - I think that Spider lily is the one Cindy sent me bulbs of. Is that where you got yours from ?
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 24, 2010
1:55 PM

Post #7917231

Oh me KA. So, you did get some rain ? Couldn't have been much if it has already come and gone.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 24, 2010
2:15 PM

Post #7917277

Oh boy, now when Phyllis gets hers in July--we will all be on high speed-I think
I am so glad you finally got enough money to hook it up, Bonnie-LOL

Yes, it is one of those--but I think this one is a little different kind than the others-I think she told Kathy Ann these were swamp lilies.
Now that you have high speed, check out this link
http://www.bulbsociety.org/GALLERY_OF_THE_WORLDS_BULBS/GRAPHICS/Hymenocallis/Hymenocallislist.shtml
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2010
2:59 PM

Post #7917392

WE got a down pour, I sunk when I went in to the garden afterwards. about 20 minutes worth. EVERYTHING is blown over. Looks worse now than it did before the rains LOL

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2010
3:19 PM

Post #7917452

I just got home and we had a really hard rain while I was gone. I was just about 7 or 8 miles from my house, but no rain where I was. Still very humid as the windows in the sun room are fogged up on the outside of the the glass. I need to get out this evening and do some trimming. Watching the news and they just showed the hard rain we had here.
Earlier today I stopped by the Lowes in Bryant and found a few bargains. I always find something when I stop there. I got a lilac that is about 5 feet tall for $5.00. I also got a yellow knock out rose for 3.50 - not sure where I'm going to put it - but hey it was a bargain! I also got a Coconut Lime coneflower. I've been trying to collect several varieties this summer and that was one I didn't have. They are going to be my main color in the front after the daylilies quit blooming. I also got a hellebore feotidus (I least that's what I think it is. I need to do some further research.) The feotidus didn't have any label on any of them. They were with regular helebores. I bought some on the hellebore coop recently and that's why I'm think that's what they are.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2010
3:23 PM

Post #7917470

You did good Charlotte.

can't believe you got that lilac for 5 bucks
lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 24, 2010
4:47 PM

Post #7917638

KA i'd be out trying to save that Silver Queen too..it's our favorite here..
Tes the Tango are Asiatic's and as far as I know they don't have a scent...

Now these babies sure do smell pretty...
Trumpet Lilies..I bought a mixture of them..this one looks like Regale

Thumbnail by lilsista59

lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 24, 2010
4:50 PM

Post #7917647

Noid Asiatic #1

Thumbnail by lilsista59

lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 24, 2010
4:58 PM

Post #7917663

NOID #2

Thumbnail by lilsista59

lorettad
Batesville, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 24, 2010
4:58 PM

Post #7917665

I only got just enough rain to settle the dust. Wanted much more because I
just did not want to come home from work and start watering.

Monday I went to my dermatologist because I have a spot on my face that
I did not like the looks of. He said he didn't think it was anything but he did
biopsy it. He said it would take 10 days to two weeks to get the results, but
when his office called me today I knew it was not good news. I have
superficial spreading melanoma and I am scheduled for surgery July 6th.
In 2007 I had a basal cell removed so I try to keep an eye on my skin. Glad
I went but I'm not looking forward to the surgery. Maybe it will be just on my
skin and not any deeper.

Loretta

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2010
4:59 PM

Post #7917667

I bought a bunch of Asiatic lily bulbs back in the spring. I've really been enjoying mine.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2010
5:01 PM

Post #7917676

Loretta so sorry to hear your news! It was certainly good that you went to the doctor and didn't wait. Hope all goes well with your surgery. Keep us up to day.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 24, 2010
5:07 PM

Post #7917691

Loretta, I am hoping it will be easy on you--Jerry has to have those pre cancerous spots burned off every once in a while. It is a good thing you went on to the doc.
As Charlotte said, please let us know. Were you scheduled to be off for the 4th that week? I know a lot of people get vacations that week.
lorettad
Batesville, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 24, 2010
5:13 PM

Post #7917704

Thanks Charlotte and Sandra. I will have to work that week and Tuesday is my
busiest day. My appointment is for 3:45pm so I will be at work all day. I have
had some spots burned off also. My last surgery left a scar about two inches long.
JanieP
Jacksonville, AR

June 24, 2010
6:07 PM

Post #7917863

Loretta, sorry to hear about the biopsy results. Prayers for good news from the surgery.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 24, 2010
6:11 PM

Post #7917871

Loretta I am glad that you were so observant and went to the Dr. I hope that things go well with your surgery!!!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2010
6:25 PM

Post #7917917

Sorry to hear about that spot Loretta, Do keep us up to date on how surgery goes.
tryliv
Booneville, MS

June 24, 2010
6:53 PM

Post #7918006

Loretta, so sorry to hear your news, Loretta, but I am glad you went on to the doctor to get it seen about. With melanoma the quicker, the better. I hope everything goes okay with the surgery. Let us know...

Terrye
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 24, 2010
7:22 PM

Post #7918118

Loretta - so sorry to hear your news, but thankful that you didn't wait to go to the doctor! I had a spot burned off my arm about a month ago - he said I probably didn't have any thing to worry about, but that it MIGHT turn cancerous somewhere down the road... so I opted for him to take it off !

I hope that the procedure goes well, please do keep us posted on what they find.

We will be keeping you in our prayers!
Genna
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2010
7:28 PM

Post #7918137

I echo what the others have said, Loretta. In the meantime, you are going on my prayer list.

Gorgeous lilies, Phyllis! and I love that spider lily, Sandra. When I do go out, I am not staying outside for more than a couple of hours and I go out very early or very late. Today I spent a couple of hours this morning trimming the coneflowers and daisies but I am careful not to overdo it in this heat!

We got about 20 minutes of rain but it turned out to be just enough to settle the dust. We didn't get the downpour that Little Rock did--or that Kathy Ann did. My cousin 4 miles to the south of me didn't get a drop so I should be glad for the little bit that it did rain here at my house. My new Indian Summer rudbeckia which I bought in Louisiana is looking really good. It has about 6 blooms on it and I need to get a photo of it in the morning. I bought a red one at the same time but it isn't blooming at all. :o((

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2010
8:13 PM

Post #7918286

I didn't get much done in the garden with my GS here and have a lot I need to do. I spent a couple of hours out this afternoon, but didn't get anything done other some deadheading and pulling some weeds. I did dig up some anemones. They were coming out into my path. I'm going to try to relocate them to another spot. I have so much to do and not enough time. Jake said the back yard looked liked a rain forest. It is beginning to look that way. My brugs are really healthy and growing like crazy. Will have to take some pictures this weekend.

I'm going to CA the 3rd of July which I'll realizing is just about a week away - lots and lots to do.

While I'm thinking about it, HOW DOES AUGUST 21 SOUND FOR A GET TOGETHER AT MY HOUSE?
Everyone is invited.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2010
8:16 PM

Post #7918288

We got about the same amount of rain as Marilyn and Loretta. Loretta, sorry about news but I am glad that you went to the doctor.

This is the planter that so far is my fav...I just made it yesterday, so it needs to grow some and it (I hope) will look better. Since yellow is my favorite color, I always have a yellow planter...it is so hard to find yellow flowers in the summer, so I mostly go with greenery...or should I say yellowery? LOL

Thumbnail by duckmother

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2010
8:19 PM

Post #7918302

Sounds great to me, Charlotte!

I made this planter earlier and I kinda like it, too ;o)

Thumbnail by duckmother

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2010
8:28 PM

Post #7918328

I like both you planters! Really nice job of colors in the second one. Isn't that your leopard plant in the first? I thought about putting it in a planter - looks really nice.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2010
8:35 PM

Post #7918358

I went out after the storm today and that Tansy goldsticks that is Literally taller than me, was laying down, I chopped it down and hauled it off today, Anything taller than me does not belong out there. If i had let that thing seed out I would have had that stuff everywhere. I haven't dug it up yet it sure is beautiful, but i've never seen it get taller than 5 foot before. I even had it tied up and it was still laying down after that storm. Made me sick.

BTW, I cut down the thermopsis golden bean and golden banner and cut off all the seed pods on them, have them drying in the garage and I pulled up all the poppies and collected the seed heads, and have them drying out. I'll have all these to pass out at Terrye's RU in October and for those going to Charlottes in August, I can bring some then too.

I also chopped down the seed pods of the war axe penstemon and it's full of pods. that's a pretty cool looking penstemon.

i'm cleaning house out there!

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2010
2:38 AM

Post #7918761

Rain! Glorious Rain! Started coming down heavy during my exercise class,lights went out so we had to miss last 10 min. of abs and yoga stretches.

Ladies didn't much care for the Zumba dvd I sprung on them last week. I think they were just to overwhelmed w/ the way the instructors did it so fast so I snuck in a few of the easier steps in a slower pace on them yesterday w/o telling them and they had very little problems w/ the steps. They were shocked when I said"you just learned some Zumba step". I'm going up in the attic to find my box belly dancing costumes,pull out the veils(barring they aren't rotten after all these years) and introduce them to beginners belly dancing next week.

Moonflower vines on old bed foot board

Thumbnail by bigred

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2010
2:44 AM

Post #7918766

the head board on the oppisite side of the driveway w/ mini white cukes growing on it.

Thumbnail by bigred

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2010
2:52 AM

Post #7918768

my neighbor...Tommy. I was taking the pictures of the vines while he was picking up trash in the road and hollered "Here I am...take my picture"...so I did and proudly since we thought we were going to loose him about 6 weeks ago when he had a heart attack in the middle of Lowe's,was rush to hospital where they did emergency heart surgery,placing 5 stints in arteries and replacing his arotic value then had an close call with infections. He and his wife looked out for me before my husband retired 4 yrs ago from construction work that kept him away all week so I'm kinda fond of him and his wife. He doing just great...but his wife is a wreck after all that.

Thumbnail by bigred

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2010
2:56 AM

Post #7918770

the new gomphrena"Fireworks" finally opening up

Thumbnail by bigred

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 25, 2010
5:05 AM

Post #7918888

Bigred you either go to bed very late or get or very early!! I absolutely love that old bed frame. Those are hard to come by now and the ones with details like the angels are even harder to find.
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 25, 2010
5:57 AM

Post #7919003

I agree -- the bed is BEAUTIFUL but I would be redoing it and have it in my home!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 25, 2010
7:06 AM

Post #7919169

Yes, Charlotte it is a ligularia in the pot. I had it alone in a pot but I thought it needed something to make it stand-out, so I put it with the new goodies that I bought ;o)

P, I want you to take pix of y'all belly dancing...I always wanted to learn. The pictures are great. The bed is too cute!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 25, 2010
11:21 AM

Post #7919819

beautiful planters, Kim! Love the color combos!

Peggy, that is a gorgeous bed headboard/footboard. I'm like Genna, I would be for having it in my house! LOL So glad your neighbor, Tommy, is doing well--that's quite a story!

Kim, I think you gave me this plant last year--it didn't do anything and I thought it was dead but it came back, wherever it came from. LOL

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 25, 2010

Post #7919824

This is Indian Summer rudbeckia. I bought it at Forest Hill in May.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 25, 2010
11:25 AM

Post #7919830

this is a white salvia--possibly Augusta Duelberg. I think Becky gave me this one.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 25, 2010
11:27 AM

Post #7919839

clerodendrum bungeii

Charlotte: August 21 is good for me! :o))

Thumbnail by marsue

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 25, 2010
11:52 AM

Post #7919900

Yes, I would like to see the belly dancing pictures too--sounds like you make it fun for them Peggy.

I talked with Cindy for a few minutes today and she has not done well with the injection they gave her---she said today was better but she has had a rough time with it. She said she doubted she would let them do another one, since this one had hurt her so bad.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 25, 2010
12:01 PM

Post #7919929

I'm so sorry that things didn't work out for Cindy with that injection.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 25, 2010
1:10 PM

Post #7920131

Oh I hate to hear Cindy did not do that well with injection...I was so hopeful!

Marilyn, I may have given you that plant but it did not come from my yard ;o) Sometimes friends and neighbors give me stuff from their yard to give away at swap.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 25, 2010
1:40 PM

Post #7920219

Really sorry to hear Cindy's injection didn't work out.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 25, 2010
2:34 PM

Post #7920317

Becky gave me one too Marilyn, it's stil lin the pot though.

I just walked through a spider web that had one of those huge yellow banana looking spiders in it. that thing landed on my leg and i went to screaming like a banshee slung it off my leg and man i'm glad nobody was listening. I couldn't find it to kill it cause I was out there with my glasses off.

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2010
3:41 PM

Post #7920442

Great job on those containers Kim ! I can't believe you are out, still planting or rearranging!
Love that bed P ! Now when I see one that don't have the rails at the antique stores, I'll know why I need to buy it ;-)

Loretta - I really hate to hear that. I have alot of skin cancer on my DH's side of the family, and I have had the basal cell on my face too. You really do need to watch yourself out in the sun. I saw a program on tv yesterday, I think it was, and it said as a child, if they ever have been sun burnt a few times, later in life - that could be what causes their melanoma. Their point was to even watch the children in the sun and load them up with sun protection.
lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2010
4:05 PM

Post #7920494

Sorry to hear about Cindy and Loretta
hope things work out good for both of you's..

Amanda's Intrigue..I was quite shocked as she has more color then the pic I saw of her
I bought her for the name...but with all those ruffles and as cold as it was here overnight
she opened pretty good..(I only helped a little..) For being a northern gal...

Thumbnail by lilsista59

lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2010
4:08 PM

Post #7920502

Yellow Silk Ruffles..

Another Game Warden came today and he was a little better..he gave Gary some Rubber buckshot to shoot the bear with...we need to make him feel unwanted here...He said the bears intimidation moves with me was him saying to me...
"I know your there and i'm not too happy about it..." and everytime he did it was like "your still there i'm not very happy about it..."
Told the game warden it was my yard I was in and I wasn't HAPPY he was there either...
He said if he persits on still coming here after we make him feel unwelcomed then they'll try and trap him out..
But he said there's a chance he'll come back after they relocate him...

Thumbnail by lilsista59

lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2010
4:31 PM

Post #7920544

First Lady Asiatic Lily

Thumbnail by lilsista59

lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2010
4:36 PM

Post #7920553

She has 28 buds on her

Thumbnail by lilsista59

lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2010
4:42 PM

Post #7920569

LA Dreamcatcher

Thumbnail by lilsista59

lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2010
4:48 PM

Post #7920582

ooops

This message was edited Jun 25, 2010 7:52 PM
lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2010
4:50 PM

Post #7920584

Missouri Evening Primrose starting to bloom...it's very invasive
I only planted 24 plants here to begin with 3 years ago...
anything outside the bed gets mowed down...LOL

Ooops
forgot the pic...

Thumbnail by lilsista59

lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2010
4:56 PM

Post #7920594

Honeysuckle...sure smells purdy...

Thumbnail by lilsista59

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 25, 2010
8:41 PM

Post #7921117

Sure sorry to hear that the shot didn't help Cindy!!!! I was praying for better results. Is it maybe to soon to tell yet?
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2010
6:19 AM

Post #7921643

What kind of shot was that Sandra ? I sure missed you posting that it didn't work. I hate that Cindy gets 1 thing fixed and she has to go thru another like this. I know she does need some kind of relief - she has been dealing with this for awhile hasn't she.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2010
9:03 AM

Post #7922002

I'm waiting on the oven repairman, so will try to post a few pictues. I'll start with my hardy hibiscus.

This is Texas Star

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2010
9:06 AM

Post #7922004

This is one of the Luna ones I believe. I was too lazy to climb up in the bushes to read the tag.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2010
9:08 AM

Post #7922006

This is the one I call a plate hibiscus. I don't know the real name.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2010
9:11 AM

Post #7922012

This is crocosmia. I had it in the back and moved it to the front and lots of sun and boy did it take off. I have some more I need to move.

Thumbnail by cperdue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2010
9:18 AM

Post #7922029

Pretty daylilies, Phyllis! Love that Amanda's Intrigue! 28 buds on First Lady--wow! Hope the bear gets the "message" that he isn't wanted on your property.
Charlotte: such pretty hibiscus! Did your oven go out?

I was thrilled to discover that one of the echies in my flower bed has turned out to be "Green Eyes" which I got in Fairy's co-op last year. It, along with Tomato Soup, Tika Torch and Fragrant Angel, has survived and I thought all of them had "bit the dust".

edited for spelling

This message was edited Jun 26, 2010 10:23 AM

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2010
9:21 AM

Post #7922033

Charlotte, we crossed. My crocosmias are just now beginning to bloom. I am going to have to move them this fall because the taller plants in my garden are keeping them in the shade--same for my glads.

This is the Heartleaf Alexanders which I bought at Pine Ridge in March.

Thumbnail by marsue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2010
9:23 AM

Post #7922038

yes the controller for the ovens went out. I have double ovens. Cost me 350.00 to replace the controller but beats buys a double oven unit.

This is the Crososmia up close.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2010
9:26 AM

Post #7922044

Pink double delight echie. It's flopped over on the ground and need to get out and stake it.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2010
9:28 AM

Post #7922051

Zebra Grass. I moved it last year and thought I had probably killed it. But it is alive and well.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2010
9:30 AM

Post #7922061

What are these yellow things?? My mine is blank. Sorry!

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2010
9:31 AM

Post #7922067

Tropical Justica

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2010
9:46 AM

Post #7922126

Another tropical. I need to look this up and get the tag on it. Kim (Lilylove) told me what it was last year and I failed to make a tag.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2010
9:47 AM

Post #7922133

Another tropical I need to labe and my mind is blank right now. Speak up, if you know what it is.

Thumbnail by cperdue

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2010
9:55 AM

Post #7922167

Charlotte I believe that Post #7922126 is a Duranta.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2010
10:07 AM

Post #7922310

Charlotte, the yellow flowers with the brown centers are commonly known as "black-eyed susans". They are probably a type of rudbeckia. You can see my Indian summer rudbeckia in one of my photos above. There are many types of this kind of flower so it would be hard to say what variety yours is.

I was delighted a few minutes ago to find a box from "Kiska" by my front door. I wasn't expecting anything from her so it was a complete surprise. She sent me a bowl that she made that has the colors in it of one of my daylilies. I posted a photo on the weather thread and she asked me if she could use it as an inspiration to make a bowl and I said "Sure!" I had no idea she would send me the proto-type of the bowl. What a delightful surprise!

Thumbnail by marsue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2010
10:22 AM

Post #7922362

Same flower up close. My dog Charlie is doing laps in the den. He is running as hard as he can go from one to the other. When he gets to the end of the room, he comes to a skidding stop, turns around and goes again. So funny!!!

Karen just stopped by and picked up the impatiens and took a quick tour.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2010
10:28 AM

Post #7922373

Jeri you are right! Making a label right now before I lose the name and forget to make a tag.

Marilyn that is a wonderful bowl! What a delightful surprise.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2010
10:30 AM

Post #7922382

I am sure Karen enjoyed her 'tour", Charlotte. Charlie will probably need a good nap this afternoon! LOL Gorgeous flower in that last post!

This is the daylily that Kiska (Jackie) used as her inspiration for the bowl above. It's one of my noid's but is the one I think looks like Sandra's "Breathless Beauty".

Thumbnail by marsue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2010
10:43 AM

Post #7922416

I just started a thread for the Aug. 21 Get Together. Here is the link.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1111156/

Let's start getting a head count.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 26, 2010
11:20 AM

Post #7922475

Lucky Karen, I would like a tour of your "jungle" myself, I'll bet it is quiet with Jake gone now. LOL

Bonnie, Cindy had to have an injection in her back, she has bulging disks and went to the pain clinic to have it done Wed. They wanted to do 4--bus she said she does not know about that !!

Phyllis shared some of her lilies with me--I will be needing about a dozen more like this one-it is a beauty
Salmon Star

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 26, 2010

Post #7922481

New thread
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1111169/

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2010
11:35 AM

Post #7922505

Still waiting for the repairman!! He's supposed to be here by 2. I hate having to deal with having things repaired!! I bought a new lawn mover yesterday afternoon because the one I had would not start. It started once this year and ran for a little while and then it wouldn't start anymore. I had it worked on last year because it kept blowing the air filter off. It doesn't do that anymore, but something is still wrong. The guy I bought the new mower from said it probably just needs to have the carburetor cleaned. I'm going to let someone else do that. I hate that mower. It is not very old but one DH picked out and has big rotating wheels in the front and too many gadgets to make it operate. I'm the one that operates it so I needed one I liked and could handle. I got it assembled and mowed the lawn (what's left of it) in nothing flat!

About to forget why I started a reply!
Cindy have you been to a chiropractor? My next door neighbor was in severe pain with a bulging disk. He does a vegetable garden ministry and was very upset because he couldn't get out and work in it plus he was in terrible pain all the time. You could just see it in his face. He had a couple of injections and they didn't help. At someone's suggestion, he finally went to a chiropractor and he finally got him back on his feet. He is back out working his garden everyday this summer. It was back the first part of this year when he was having his major problem.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2010
7:11 PM

Post #7923482

Hey everybody i've been in jasper ARkanasas today for the elk festival. I had elk twice today.

I went to a nursery while we were there, and he specialized in brugmansias and a few other tropical things. I don't think he knows about daves garden, he was trying to show me all his special plants as we were walking through danny was behind us, and he asked me Charlotte, what this one plant was, funny you got a pic of it above there, the Justica carnea.

I said it was a justica carnea and he said, What? What was that jumbomumbo you just said, I said that's the name of that plant, and he said no it's not it's jacobina. What is Jacobina? LOL It was a justica just like yours though. I didn't argue with him, when he told me it took him months to figure out what his cuban oregano was well, I just wasn't too impressed with his special stuff LOL
he was kind of shocked that I knew wht that cuban oregano was before he mentioned what it was. Danny just laughed at me.

I love that glass bowl Marilyn, jackie does such beautiful work

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America