Photo by Melody

Article: Use cattle panels to build an arched trellis & hoop house: Cattle pannels

Communities > Forums > Article: Use cattle panels to build an arched trellis & hoop house
bookmark
Forum: Article: Use cattle panels to build an arched trellis & hoop houseReplies: 3, Views: 69
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
GardenerRon
Royalton, MN

June 21, 2010
8:47 PM

Post #7909232

I've been growing vine crops (squash, gourds, cukes, pumpkins) for 25 years on old cattle pannels. My farm auction was in fall '99 so I've now "graduated" to using new cattle pannels!! One can grow lettuce, spinnach & greens under the arches all summer in MN...even when the dog days of summer hit! It stays cooler & damp under there, and is filtered sun. Mulching generously helps too.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2010
9:04 PM

Post #7909258

GardenerRon, I have noticed the plants I have growing on the inside are doing very well in this miserable heat wave we're having. I'll have to try the veggies you mentioned. Thanks for reading and posting your experience!
Have a great gardening season,
Bev
pkboiler
Orlando, FL

January 17, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #8971051

I came across this article thru the reference you made to it in your recent one on gardening through grief, stress & depression. I love this idea, Bev, including GardenerRon's idea for growing certain vegetables under the arch during the heat of the summer. And it can SURE get hot here in central Florida. Now I just need to convince my husband we can do this in our suburban neighborhood. Thanks for the idea!

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #8971107

pkboiler,
You're welcome. I hope you get to build at least a one-panel arch just to see how easy the panels are to work with. My favorite part is harvesting the veggies hanging from under the trellis . . . easy picking in the shade!

Thanks for reading & commenting, and good luck with your gardening,
--
Bev

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Use cattle panels to build an arched trellis & hoop house Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Kudos! darius 9 Jun 18, 2010 9:25 PM
I did this too! gretagreenthumb 5 Jun 21, 2010 11:11 AM
Make it movable LavacaW 1 Jun 21, 2010 11:02 AM
planting question mellogardener 1 Jun 21, 2010 7:41 PM
about cattle panels flwrpwr40 1 Jul 7, 2010 7:16 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America