Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Vegetables at the Fair: Great Article

Communities > Forums > Article: Vegetables at the Fair
bookmark
Forum: Article: Vegetables at the FairReplies: 1, Views: 11
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DEMinPA
Selinsgrove, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 22, 2010
4:20 AM

Post #7909508

As I got older there were a few things I had to try. When I was in my late fifties, I decided to enter a few items in the local fair. I took a vacation day from work so I could go to the fair and enter my specimens. I could hardly wait until the fair opened to see if I won! I did win a second and two thirds. The following year I got my first blue ribbon. I haven't entered anything since. You can't win if you don't enter.

Great article.

Don
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

September 6, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9267460

Oh, Don;
I entered all kinds of things one year. The kids were just at that right age to be so excited about it all..
We won all kinds of prizes for all the enters. for vegs, and jars of stuff I had canned..
However, some of the things I should have been ashamed of. BUT I AM NOT!
We went to see all the exhibits that evening - my husband with me - I had entered the last of my red onions - and believe me, they were miserable looking specimens- but they sure did make the winner look - really - really good!
My husband kept saying, " I can't believe you entered them. Darn it - they have my last name attached to them,"

I still can't stop smiling even now as I write this; At how funny my husband was. How he just shook his head; he is such a quiet and gentle man - so saying anything pretty much sums it up how bad those onions were. No, I have no shame.
Well almost -- I thought, I could sew. I had made all kinds of beautiful dresses for my daughter. It looked good on the outside -- but let me tell you - the ladies that had their exhibits on display in that fair - their garments looked even better on the inside than the out. I learned something that day about really fine sewing! I am ashamed I did not even know that my sewing was not up to snuff, but I am still glad for the experence and to know just what some talented people can do with fabric. .

This message was edited Sep 6, 2012 8:25 PM

This message was edited Sep 6, 2012 8:25 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Vegetables at the Fair Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What fun! KyWoods 11 Sep 3, 2007 6:24 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America