Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Woodworking: Potting bench

Communities > Forums > Woodworking
bookmark
Forum: WoodworkingReplies: 2, Views: 124
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
incomer44
Sheffield
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2010
6:56 AM

Post #7909824

I thought people might be interested in seeing a potting bench I made earlier this year. It is just made from treated sawn softwood and is not really what you would call quality woodworking, but it has proved very useful. It has wheels at one end so by lifting the other end it can be wheeled around.

Thumbnail by incomer44
Click the image for an enlarged view.

incomer44
Sheffield
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2010
7:04 AM

Post #7909867

The top is shown folded in the previous photo, but it can be unhinged and supported on the fold-out brackets.

The design is not perfect, and if I made another one there are two things I would change. One is the size of the wheels. The 4 inch diameter wheels on the present one are OK for wheeling around the patio but really need to be bigger for moving over the lawn (I would use 8 inch diameter next time). The second thing is that when the top is unfolded, the bench can tip over is there is not sufficient weight on the main bench to couterbalance the weight on the unfolded flap. The next time I would use fold-out legs rather than brackets so that the flap was supported.

Thumbnail by incomer44
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

June 24, 2010
1:17 PM

Post #7917085

You do have some clever design elements there. I loke the way you cut the top side boards to hold the top in place when closed.
tI agree with the larger wheels, for sure, but if you had a bag or two of soil, compost or other potting material on the bottom shelf and some pots or watering bucket and some hand tools there, too, it probably would have enough weight to stand even when fully open.. You could add swingaway legs at both sides instead of the triangle brackets at the top. That would allow a wide "footprint" to support the open benchtop, too.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Woodworking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Woodworkers unite! drdon 104 Mar 26, 2007 11:23 PM
Let's see your shop! drdon 64 Feb 16, 2009 2:15 PM
extreme birdhouses and more from recycled wood cranbrook2 222 Feb 27, 2012 5:37 AM
What woodworking projects are you planning? drdon 24 Sep 2, 2009 3:28 AM
Halloween Projects ezylivin 49 Oct 13, 2009 4:08 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America