Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Growing Roses from A-Z (Part II): Tree Roses

Communities > Forums > Article: Growing Roses from A-Z (Part II)
bookmark
Forum: Article: Growing Roses from A-Z (Part II)Replies: 1, Views: 5
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
wqureshi
Bartlett, IL

June 22, 2010
11:18 AM

Post #7910527

I am located in Chicago where temratures stays in sub-zero during winter. Planted 6 tree roses around 3 feet high last year, bloomed during summer then winter came by. covered the plants with tarp and protected roots with extra mulch. None of the plants recovered during spring 2010 and was no sign of any recovery, so cut the stem 3 inch high from the bottom. Some of the plants now have started growing from the roots.
Question: How do I care them to get the flower this year and protect them for the next year?

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2010
1:23 PM

Post #7910856

The growth from the roots is probably form the root stock (suckers). Is this a grafted rose?

From my experience most tree roses are not hardy in very cold weather.

I suggest if you want to continue to grow tree roses you place them in large pots and move into the garage during winter. I do this with my container grown roses and they do really well.

Paul

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Growing Roses from A-Z (Part II) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Those $50 holes do the trick Dea 2 Dec 31, 2007 9:49 PM
About roses Pulgon1257 1 Jun 17, 2008 9:54 PM
Rose selection sunstream 0 May 7, 2009 8:51 PM
Question for Paul about propagating. DesertPirate 2 Jul 16, 2009 2:22 AM
knockout rose-green worms eating leaves usasouth 0 May 17, 2010 9:27 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America