-
AuthorContent
redrahde
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 23, 2010
5:59 PM

Post #7914881

I planted a 3' tall Crimson Queen late this Spring and it seems to be doing well. I live in the country and lately I have noticed a bunny chomping on various things in my garden--so far no major damage, but I am worried about the Crimson Queen. I have a trunk protector (one of those coiled plastic sheets with holes in it) that I used on another type of young tree in the past. Would it hurt the Crimson Queen if I used it? It wouldn't actually touch the bark--just coil around it.

Second, the plant was staked when I bought it and I have left the stake in place. However, it is pretty close to the trunk at ground level. Is this a problem? When should I remove the state?

I'm a novice with Japanese Maples, can you tell?
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 24, 2010
9:48 AM

Post #7916458

as long as the trunk is getting good air flow the protector might be a good idea. you can leave the stake in as i has probably been there a while and is causing no damage. i usually pull any that come with the tree out after a year or two - unless you want to continue to stake it to get it taller faster.
Davidsan
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

June 24, 2010
1:01 PM

Post #7917036

The other question was concerning trunk guards otherwise known as mold/fungus and insect nests .. it is ok in winter I wouldn't recommend in summer and always take off .. best just to fence it til it gets bigger a 2 foot high piece of chicken wiire with some two foot 3/8" rebar from Lowes will work fine.. they don't need much unless it's deer .. wabbits wheelwry don't like jms much but the are waskelwy... they bit a piece off drop it... bite another and drop it too...so on and so on just basically jerks with bad attitudes nothing a whittle guy with a funny hat and a shotgun wouldn't stwaiten out weal qwickwy ... just ask Elmer.,,.

Davidsan
redrahde
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 24, 2010
5:43 PM

Post #7917771

Thanks "guys." It was the mold/fungus and insect nest aspect that worried me--especially in my Texas heat and humidity. I think I'll give the chicken wire a try. Don't know why I couldn't have thought of that. That waskly wabbit has already been biting and dropping other plants in the garden (mostly perennials). I wouldn't mind as much if he would eat what he takes. Guess his eyes are bigger than his stomach.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Japanese Maples Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Japanese maple Ginger_H 6 Sep 13, 2008 11:19 PM
Threadleaf Japanese Maple hczone6 6 Mar 1, 2010 1:36 AM
MY jm's that survived and thrived last winter zone 5b Davidsan 38 Feb 26, 2010 12:05 AM
Largosmom's Japanese Maples largosmom 62 Nov 22, 2007 8:55 PM
Can you tell me what kind this is? nikki_conway 23 Apr 17, 2008 1:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America