-
AuthorContent
blupit007
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2010
10:16 AM

Post #7916529

I now have 13 different hibiscus variety's for my collection. Many of them really just baby's still. BUT... I purchased 3 from http://www.hiddenvalleynaturearts.com ('Bella du Jour', 'Saffron', & 'Cindy's Heart') And wouldn't you know, I now have blooms! Yay!!

Thumbnail by blupit007
Click the image for an enlarged view.

blupit007
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2010
10:17 AM

Post #7916533

Cindy's Heart, my favorite!! (so far)

Thumbnail by blupit007

blupit007
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2010
10:19 AM

Post #7916543

This one is Saffron, however it doesn't look like it... Maybe because it was in a box for 8 days, and got weak? Anyone have this happen to them, or did I get the wrong flower sent to me? Its beautiful though.

Thumbnail by blupit007

darkmoondreamer
(Karen) Frankston, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 24, 2010
12:54 PM

Post #7917013

YEAH, you go blu! Beautiful blooms, and I love Cindy's heart too! I'm proud for you...you are my "beginner buddy" whether you know it or not...I have had 3-4 hardy's for several years but this will be my first year with tropicals so we are learning together.
blupit007
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2010
1:04 PM

Post #7917045

Ooooh great!! Nice to meet you! Im Kristen. I've always had your basic red and yellow you get from the garden store, but never these. I am in love!! Now I have 13! We do need to keep each other updated! I don't want to take full responsibility for these blooms, I only got these plants on Monday. So we shall see what I get in a couple weeks! Good luck to you!
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 24, 2010
2:38 PM

Post #7917344

This website is what I have been looking for. They are priceee, but gorgeous.
trickiwoo
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 24, 2010
7:31 PM

Post #7918143

Just beautiful. Thanks for sharing with us.

Hugs,
Judy
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 24, 2010
9:00 PM

Post #7918445

Nice blooms. You must be freaking out with amazement just staring at those blooms. I remember I was when seeing blooms in person for the first time and watching them evolve as the day goes by. It's a very good thing to have others you haven't seen bloom yet. It gives you something to look forward to. You will also notice that no two blooms are exactly the same color and size and that the outside temperatures will have an influence in the coloration on quite a few hibiscus. You'll get some real vivid coloration on some varieties when the temperatures are in the upper 50's-upper 60's.
blupit007
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2010
9:28 PM

Post #7918497

I'm totally freaking out! This Saffron is the size of my head! I talked from Cindy, who I got it from, and she said that it is rare, but this yellow color I got from Saffron is because it was making buds in the box that it was in for 8 days. So I took a bunch of photos of it! I think the next round of blooms will be true, but for now its really cool!

I like the idea of vivid colors with lower temps, because living in CT, my house is at 60-65 in the winter. I might get some grow lights for all of them. And I plan on trying my hand at cuttings and cross pollinating. (we shall see how successful I am)...

Peg, Hidden Valley is absolutely great! They have really nice plants, and they held them an extra week because they were not ready. They take pride in their product, you can tell by the plants I got. I only got the 6" pots because I wanted blooms by July 17th, my wedding. I plan on having them there. Its a luau! I got the 2 gallon Bella du Jour, cause that's the only size they had it in, and I couldn't live without it. But the 4" are probably just as beautiful, you just might have to wait a month for the blooms. (that's what they say)

Thanks for all the nice comments, makes this even more fun! Not only am I enjoying them, you are too, and that makes me happy!!
Keep an eye out, I will post more!

Later,
Kristen

Thumbnail by blupit007

plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 25, 2010
4:33 AM

Post #7918842

I can't believe the flower is that large. Good luck on the best day of your life.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 25, 2010
7:18 AM

Post #7919202

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and that "Saffron" bloom is very large. Bloom size will vary and you'll find you get your largest sized blooms when there are fewer buds trying to open on the plant. The fewer buds, the more of the plants energy goes into those fewer buds development.

It only takes one cool day, when they're outside, to get some extra vivid coloration if the timing is just right. The cool day has to be the same day the bloom is opening. It will happen well before you bring the plants inside for the winter. Even though its summer, you always get a few days, here and there, where the temperatures remain unseasonably cool for the day. Hopefully the timing will be just right and some blooms will open on those days. You'll see much darker shades than you're used to seeing. Have the camera ready on those days.
blupit007
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 25, 2010
11:53 AM

Post #7919906

Oh, day to day in New England is a gamble... it may be 90 like today, and tomorrow it will be in the 60's, either way, there will be a guaranty of humidity!! I always have a camera ready at my fingertips. When I came home today, Saffron popped another bloom, and Cindy's Heart is trying to keep a good reputation! Here they are.

Thumbnail by blupit007

blupit007
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 25, 2010
11:54 AM

Post #7919913

Two together, cant wait till Bella du Jour rises and shines!

Thumbnail by blupit007

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 25, 2010
12:15 PM

Post #7919969

Nice photos and you're getting blooms staying open more than one day. That only happens here when they bloom during the winter months. The plants look good considering they were in a box for 8 days? Why 8 days in a box?

I remember New England weather. After college I lived in Bristol, CT and Boston, MA for 3 years and then decided I wanted to live down here twenty years ago.
trickiwoo
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2010
7:08 PM

Post #7920875

That Saffron is stunning. Want to add my best wishes on your upcoming special day. Y'all will be off to a great start with these beautiful blooms to add to the festivities. Thanks for sharing with us.

Hugs,
Judy
blupit007
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 25, 2010
10:15 PM

Post #7921261

They were in a box for 8 days because Hidden Valley Hibiscus sent them last monday thinking they would be delivered on friday. However UPS had there own ideas, they thought that they should give me a couple of days more to nibble at my fingernails... (Just kidding, I dont bite my fingernails, uck!) But they ended up being delivered this monday instead.

Cindy's Heart had a bud on it, and it bloomed the day I took it out of the box, lasted about 2 days. Another bloomed today. Saffron bloomed 3 days ago, HUGE!! and a really unique yellowish peach that is because of the box escapade. Last night when I got home from work It seemed to be even bigger. It had flattened out a lot, and so at one in the morning, I was out there taking more photos with it. It has lasted a couple days so far, and today another bloom opened!

My fiance and I talk all the time about moving somewhere different for a couple years. We would like some Carribean island. Big dreamin...

Thanks for all the wedding wishes. Here's something, I am looking for some suggestions for a great "first dance" song for me and Matt. I know I should have this already, but we don't listen to love songs. Any good ideas? (I'm the most layed back bride to be you'd ever meet!)

Bella has some buds on her, I'll keep y'all posted!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 26, 2010
6:38 AM

Post #7921687

I can relate to that. That happened to me with just one order from Hidden Valley Hibiscus. It arrived in 7 or 8 days and the plants were still very much ok. I was freaking out also wondering if they would arrive ok.

Yes, I do have a recommendation for your first dance with Matt. It's a prior #1 song on the Sweden Singles Charts by a Swedish artist. I'm sure most everyone is unfamiliar with it because it has never been released in the USA. The name of the song is "I Do" by Jessica Folcker. Here is a link to the song/music video off of MTV Sweden. Hope you like it.

http://www.mojvideo.com/video-jessica-folcker-i-do/42b720a72b71d3b2a0cc
blupit007
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2010
10:36 AM

Post #7922399

Thanks for the song, Ill add it to my list for Matt to check out! I just happen to be Swedish / Italian! Good pick!

So, Im prolly jumping the gun, but I took some Saffron pollen and put it on the newest Cindy's bloom yesterday... I know, I know, Im hooked.. When the flower dies, do I leave it alone cause the seed sack will grow out of its existing stem (I dont know what Its called)?

Thumbnail by blupit007

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 26, 2010
11:31 AM

Post #7922496

That's a good combination. Italian/Danish myself. Sweden puts out some of the very best English language music and you'll never hear it over here. The music industry is too controlled in this country.
blupit007
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 30, 2010
10:11 AM

Post #7933043

Saffron bloomed yet again today, not as big as the first two, but true to color. What a beautiful prolific bush Saffron is turning out to be!

Thumbnail by blupit007

blupit007
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 30, 2010
10:19 AM

Post #7933056

Another angle

Thumbnail by blupit007

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 30, 2010
11:14 AM

Post #7933155

Looks good. When you have quite a few buds on a plant it's pretty common for the first ones to be the large blooms. The next buds may produce slightly smaller flowers.
blupit007
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 3, 2010
1:46 PM

Post #7940779

Belle du Jour finally bloomed! Pretty small for a Belle du Jour flower, but this bud was on her for quite a while. Maybe even when she was still in the box. Her leaves are still yellow, but no more then what was already yellow have turned. So I hope that means it was just an adjustment to my home rather then Cindy & Charles's!

Thumbnail by blupit007

blupit007
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 3, 2010
1:47 PM

Post #7940780

another belle

Thumbnail by blupit007

blupit007
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 3, 2010
1:48 PM

Post #7940782

Some more of the 3rd Saffron bloom a couple days later.

Thumbnail by blupit007

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hibiscus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
variegated rose of sharon roose 11 Feb 14, 2008 8:39 PM
Ok, I'm confused on these two roselle hibisucus kathy_ann 99 Dec 9, 2007 3:03 PM
Jamaica Servants_heart 3 Jul 30, 2007 4:39 PM
This was too die for, a must must must have. Kell 84 Jul 10, 2012 3:41 PM
New Hardy Hibiscus NCplantsman 12 Aug 7, 2007 8:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America