Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Radical idea for the Landscape "Database"

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, this may sound a little off-the-wall, but maybe the Landscape Database should, in fact, be a "Database". As it is now, it's just a random collection of photos & galleries submmited whenever a member feels like submitting them. I see no way to actually manipulate the "data"... anotherwords, it's not really a Database.

My idea is... make it a "real" database by creating a structured format. A link could exist to bring you to the main Landscape Database, which in turn, could be sortable and searchable by date or member name or by "tags". At that point you could chose which or who's landscape pics to view. Also, a link could also be available in each member's member page to view that member's landscape photos. Comments could be made, but no discussions. Member could also opt to have it private or public.

Anyway, that's it in a nutshell. Other features could be added as well, but mainly, it needs to be a more orderly and searchable "Database". Personally, I think this feature, with the current setup, is being highly ignored by members. If done right, it could be a major feature for DG, and a great way for members to show off their gardening talents at a touch of a button. If anything, it would still be a way for members to manage the progress of their landscapes, though that could easily be done offline.

Thanks, and hope the "powers that be" will take notice of these suggestions and give them some consideration.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I am not that saavy but read it a few times and think it sounds good.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

I would love to be able to sort by tags and multiple tags. To be able to search for "steep slope, dry shade, morning sun, erosion control" would be an immense help to me at my house in Missouri. I have seen that a lot of folks have asked about what to plant in different trouble spots and something like that would help a lot.
Another help would be a guide on how to size the garden and the plantings to their environment - we have all seen houses overwhelmed by unfortunate choices in shrubs and trees, as well as those that are underwhelmed.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Yes it is true. I agree.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

You used to be able to do that--when the database first launched, it could also be accessed at a different website (landscaping.com maybe?) and when you went into it that way you could search for tags. Then it got merged into here and that feature seems to have been lost in the process.

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

I strongly agree. I am usually looking for photos to use as examples for a certain area in the yard. I had found one of the forums with someone who had a link to her picture garden which was beautiful, but am unable to find it again. I just don't remember which landscape forum it was.

I prefer more pics than chit chat.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

We agree! This is a project we're lining up for the techs.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

^_^

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Sounds like an improvement.

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

How about that... it took a while, and I've been away as well, but it's great to see this idea get some attention.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

This is a great idea. I have often wished that DG would offer a landscaping program. Good luck, Techs! We know that you can do it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.