Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Begonias: Paging hcmcdole, B. soli-mutata

Communities > Forums > Begonias
bookmark
Forum: BegoniasReplies: 10, Views: 186
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2010
10:56 AM

Post #7916647

hc, I have a B. soli-mutata I bought a probably a couple of months ago. It has just sat there doing nothing until here recently when it started losing the few leaves it had. It has one leaf left and it looks like it's on the way out. But the rhizome appears to be OK for now. I don't give it any special treatment. It has the same conditions as other begonias I'm very successful with.
Is it too finicky to bother with? Does it go dormant and then come back out later? Any advice would be much appreciated.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2010
11:16 AM

Post #7916692

Where do you have it? I have one of mine outdoors and it is looking great with lots of new leaves. The other one indoors is doing good (was the best of the two) but I had it under a dome all winter and now the dome is off. It is under lights with the lights about 2 feet above it (the spot it was in the lights were practically on top of it). The one outdoors I water almost everyday under shade and the one indoors maybe once a week.

Not sure what else I can tell you. If you are down to a leaf it may be too late - put it in a humid spot (best outdoors if it isn't there already). If it croaks try it again - it really is easy - just water it more than a lot of other begonias in my opinion.

This is my indoor one before I removed the dome permanently (use it sparingly now). Late April.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Click the image for an enlarged view.

killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2010
11:21 AM

Post #7916711

Spectacular. I will put it outside to day and see what happens. Thanks.
killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 16, 2010
7:55 PM

Post #8044266

Well, it died. So I bought another one and put it out on my back porch and it is doing really well.
However I shall now eat some crow. It appears that tapla's 5:1:1 might not be good for begonias. I have lost quite a few and don't know if it's the potting mix or not.
hc, would you please tell us exactly what mix you use? Purchased, homemade? If it is a homemade mix please be specific so I will be able to grow them almost as well as you do. Please touch on fertilizer also. I have been relying only on Osmocote for many of mine. But that doesn't seem to make a difference.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 17, 2010
4:52 AM

Post #8044668

I have used Miracle Gro the last few years with no moisture control

I use water soluble fert when I can and slow release if I remember to add it when I repot

sorry i am brief since I am using iPhone while waiting to board the flight to S.F. For the ABS convention
killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 17, 2010
3:02 PM

Post #8045808

Thanks, you lucky dog. Wish I could go also.
dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2010
6:46 PM

Post #8046337

Let us know where it will be held next year. Hopefully not the week my son leaves for college. It really would be wrong to tell him to drive himself.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 28, 2010
5:16 AM

Post #8066671

Next year's convention is going to be Oklahoma City (the way it stands after the business meeting) and I think it is in May.

Here is B. luxurians at the Berkley Horticultural Nursery, easily ten feet tall or taller if you include the blooms.

http://www.berkeleyhort.com/

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2010
5:32 AM

Post #8068335

Watch it be the week that my son comes home from college. I think he can hitch a ride. More pictures please.
Flimsy
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 31, 2010
9:30 AM

Post #8072612

Kyle...Here is my B. soli-mutata that I planted from a 4" container into a 10" pot about the time you first posted this. After reading the information on here, I have kept it in the shade, setting it in a tray of pea gravel with water. I am not a great begonia grower, so with the information on here and a bit of luck, I think it's looking pretty good. I just hope it will do well inside. At the time I ordered it, I also ordered B. little darling. I have one very tiny piece of it left. Not so lucky with it. I'm going to use a large aquarium this fall for plants that need the humidity. I've never done that before.
Linda :-)

Thumbnail by Flimsy

killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 31, 2010
7:20 PM

Post #8073696

That's beautiful, Linda. My second one is doing well so far. I didn't fuss over it and put it out on the back porch.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Begonias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Here's my begonia collection flowerjunkie 106 Feb 10, 2009 2:27 PM
Tuberous Begonias? Woofens 25 Feb 29, 2008 8:05 PM
BEGONIA sticky links begoniacrazii 37 Jun 8, 2007 6:11 PM
Talking about polka dots................. Kell 35 Feb 16, 2008 8:31 PM
Begonia Dead? Wvdaisy 13 Apr 12, 2007 3:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America