Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Agastaches and Salvias: Wendy's Wish in Florida

Communities > Forums > Agastaches and Salvias
bookmark
Forum: Agastaches and SalviasReplies: 15, Views: 128
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 25, 2010
7:03 AM

Post #7919158

Love the bloom, but I think this may be able to take more sun than I originally thought, it's a bit leggy. Both plants one in the ground and one in a pot get either morning sun/afternoon shade, ( the potted one) and the one in the ground get's intermittent full sun/dappled sun/full shade. It's bigger than the one in the pot both are blooming, and both act like they'd like more sun so I'm going to move the one in a pot to more sun and see what happens. ( I followed ecrane's lead on planting these as we both have the same issues with there being "too much strong sun" ...but I think this one may be able to handle more than I thought.
I got a couple new Saliva's - nipponica, salvia glabrescens shi ho, and a NO Id Chinese species, I'm excited about getting them going. Have plenty of shade/dappled sun area's for them.
mj
ps..sorry about the picture quality, a little breezy this morning.

Thumbnail by mjsponies
Click the image for an enlarged view.

andymaycen
Keaau, HI

June 25, 2010
9:29 AM

Post #7919553

I have Wendy's Wish in full sun here in Hawaii and it seems fine. It blooms alot and is now about 3' x 3'. Haven't tried it in part shade yet...

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 25, 2010
11:05 AM

Post #7919772

How hot does it get there? We've been pushing 93-95 every day for the last several weeks. My mexicana that is in full sun - sun up to sun down is complaining, Black and Blue could care less, Purple Majesty sulks a bit in the afternoon. Nothing else is really total full sun, has some sort of relief either by a fence or other plant during the day or are planted under the oaks where they get shade.
andymaycen
Keaau, HI

June 25, 2010
11:29 AM

Post #7919845

We usually are in the low to mid 80's with daily rain. It is a very mild climate where I am ( south of Hilo, East side of the Big Island). The mexicanas here behave different than where I used to live, San Diego area. They seem to bloom all the time...they too are in full sun. Wagnerianas, Costa Rica Blue and atrocyanea seem to need shade.Oppostifolia has been a real winner here in partial shade...blooms nonstop. Surprisingly, some of the South African ones do really well. It must be the drainage...lava holds no water. Some of the Van Houttis I have in full sun seem to flag midday if there's no cloud cover. On the other hand 'Dancing Flame' does really well here in full sun.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 25, 2010
12:13 PM

Post #7919961

I can't put the Van Houttis in full sun here period, they just collapse. Am Sun/shade or Am sun/shade/dappled sun Shade. the one time I put Dancing Flames in full Sun it literally turned lost most of the green in the variegation. It was in a pot so I moved it to a part sun/shade area and it regained it's color. Both my mexicana's bloom all the time, but the one in am Sun/pm shade foliage looks much healthier and it doesn't sag in the afternoon. I haven't really tried the South African ones, I do have area's which tend to stay very dry and I just might. Canary Island sage is doing quite well, blooming heavily, but it get's a little protection from a 3 board fence.
I like hearing how folks in different climates grow their saliva's. Do you grow any of the Japanese sages there?
andymaycen
Keaau, HI

June 25, 2010
10:18 PM

Post #7921264

I think I'm too hot to try any of the Japanese ones. I would guess they would need to cool off a bit in the winter...that doesn't happen here. It might get down to 65 at night occasionally in January. I used to have a couple of the Japanese species back in Ca. I grew them in full shade and had to continually water them.
Glad to hear mexicanas behave the same in your climate as mine.
One Salvia that has been really disappointing in this climate is curviflora. It's growth habit here is hopeless. Doesn't bloom very much. I'm going to remove it. Urica is wonderful here. The lavender coccinea is a great bloomer here and behaves much better than it did back on the mainland. Chiapensis also is a real winner here.
So far I have about 80 types over here and despite the few losers, overall the ones I have tried are quite happy.
Rich_dufresne
Candor, NC

June 26, 2010
4:31 AM

Post #7921437

Curviflora does not like extended hot, humid weather for me in North Carolina. It keeps on trying to bloom, but the flowers are usually small and abort quickly. It needs to be tried as a summer annual in the northeastern USA.

Salvia raymondii ssp. mairanae is even worse this way. I can get robust growth during the spring, but the plant crashes during the summer heat. They seem better suited to Mediterranean climates.

I still need to try these in cool spots with extra drainage.

I think I've found a good way to overwinter small-tubered sages. These include S. clinopodioides, S. stolonifera, S. patens, and S. lineata. Take the tubers, with attached healthy stolons/stems, and lay them on a thin bed of potting soil in a wide flat, cover with coarse perlite, water sparingly over the winter, and have the patience to wait breaking out of dormancy in the spring. This worked well with the S. clinopodioides, and I will need to get enough of the others in tuber form for next winter.
Gerris2
Wilmington, DE
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2010
7:02 AM

Post #7924449

That is a pretty flower, will have to keep my eyes open for it at the nurseries.
2salvia
London
United Kingdom

June 28, 2010
5:03 PM

Post #7928722

I am a recent happy recipient in England of Salvia 'Wendy's Wish'. This is not commercially available here, currently undergoing trials. You can ask me how I obtained this, and I would answer, truthfullly, via Australia, California, Barcelona, and another European country. BUT it arrived here having been all round the world in perfect condition. Now it is like a compact shrub. The flowers are large and exactly as have been described and shown. The flowering stems, of which there are many, extend above the plant. But it seems that, as with many Salvias, that there are never many flowers at the same time.

Difficult to know how or where to place this lovely plant, I understand from people on this forum from USA and Australia that it seems to be happy in full sun or part shade. Well we are having a rare, hot summer heatwave in the UK, mid 80s, blazing sun...it is ok, but feel that it would prefer some shade. It is extremely thirsty, in a pot, it dries out very quickly.

It seems to attract aphids and capsid bugs, some new stems have been distorted. But spidermite keeps away.

Its parentage is very much in question...for whoever may be interested. Salvia buchananii has been suggested as one parent...can understand why...compare the flowers and foliage. BUT...as buchananii is not found in the wild...could that be a hybrid? The other parent has been suggested as S. mexicana...I cannot go along with that at all. My theory is that S. splendens is a possible parent...look at the buds and flower shape. I speak as a complete amateur, and would happily receive comments.

Buchananii is fom Mexico, splendens is from Brazil...hybridisation is unlikely but always possible. If S. viscosa, from Europe, has hybridised with S. africana, from S. Africa, which it has...surely anything is possible?
andymaycen
Keaau, HI

June 28, 2010
6:11 PM

Post #7928942

I heard that it originated in Australia...
Rich_dufresne
Candor, NC

June 28, 2010
8:13 PM

Post #7929303

I'm pretty sure it is a buchananii hybrid with a splendens, possibly a vanhouttei form. It is a garden hybrid from Australia.

The real surprise Salvia hybrid would be a cross between a New World (Audibertia and Calosphace) and Old World sage, not counting S. lyrata and its cousins as New World sages - check the calyxes.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2010
5:57 AM

Post #7946760

Pretty leggy up here too, MJ. I have it in full sun until about 3pm. Good thing that the stems are so beautiful.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2010
6:36 AM

Post #7946851

Robin,
So far I've had no problem with pests..still trying to determine where it will be happiest...Both plants are blooming nicely, they are just what I would consider a bit leggy...
I don't know very much about how Salvia's would cross, but I agree with Rich on the splendens vanhouttei.
I any case it is pretty, and it is setting seeds...
2salvia
London
United Kingdom

July 6, 2010
10:02 AM

Post #7947292

The pests are not a major problem, most have gone. Are you sure it is setting seeds? I have not found any, and was told by Wendy herself that it is sterile, and never sets seeds. Suppose you could have a hybrid of a hybrid...that would be interesting!

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2010
10:31 AM

Post #7947356

There are definitely seeds...it's just a matter of catching them...I'm trying not to take them before they look ready...I may have to put a seed catcher on a stem. I've never done that with salvia before, but may need to rig up something. Now if they would germinate or not I have no idea. It's near Salvia miniata, and a Red Salvia splendens vanhouttei. I need to check the other one and see what it's doing. It's near the Tall Peach/Pink Salvia splendens. We're not supposed to have rain for the next few days so I may have a better chance of catching the seeds.
Rich_dufresne
Candor, NC

July 7, 2010
7:06 AM

Post #7949375

Ripe seeds are black and usually shiny. They will fall out within a day of ripening.. It is possible to collect seeds that are slightly unripe, when they show a dark brown coloration in the calyx. Such seeds will continue to ripen outside the calyx, with somewhat diminished viability.

It is also important to avoid ripened Salvia seed from getting wet, since this will expand the gelatinous coating and incorporate mold spores, making the seed hazardous to other clean seed on sowing.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Agastaches and Salvias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Salvia pictures from my garden Gerris2 133 Mar 21, 2007 6:49 PM
My favorite Salvias ecrane3 88 Jun 5, 2007 11:39 PM
Agastaches & Salvias I'm Getting Thru Mail Order Marilynbeth 55 Mar 11, 2007 10:49 PM
Agastache & salvia Ariel73 2 Apr 10, 2007 7:14 PM
Salvia 'Discolor' mrs_colla 9 Mar 13, 2007 6:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America