Photo by Melody

Beginner Flowers: Morning Glories Do They Come Back Each Year?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 56, Views: 609
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sassyraven
Hobbs, NM

June 25, 2010
4:21 PM

Post #7920534

I am wondering if I were to plant morning glories if they will come back next year or will I have to replant?

JudyinGA

JudyinGA
Newnan, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 25, 2010
6:05 PM

Post #7920717

Sassy,
Don't know how they behave in your zone, but here they come back (re-seed) beyond your wildest dreams ... sometimes nightmares. LOL. I planted some four years ago and they are still popping up everywhere. I can't keep them pulled up. Plant to your heart's content and you will have morning glories for years to come. :-)
taranne
rio rancho, NM
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2010
6:54 PM

Post #7920839

hi sassyraven-- I live in rio rancho, NM and my morning glories reseed themselves pretty well, so I think yours will too! although this year, something (I am now wondering if it's my dog) keeps eating the leaves off the new seedlings and they're having a hard time getting started. My best advice, since we don't get a lot of rain in NM, is to start watering the area where your morning glories are in the early spring. Just get the ground wet once a day and soon you're seeds from last year's morning glories will start taking off. good luck! taranne
sassyraven
Hobbs, NM

June 25, 2010
8:05 PM

Post #7921028

Thanks to your replies.. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to replant each year.. I think I have decided that is what I
am going to plant when it is time to plant them..

pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2010
3:56 AM

Post #7921401

I concur with JudyinGA: Once they reseed you will have morning glories popping up all over the place and not where you necessarily want them. I pull hands full of seedlings every week from morning glories that were planted and reseeded in 2008. They will grow in cracks in the sidewalk, in flower beds, everywhere. If you don't catch them when they're small, they will climb anything they get near, even bushes and other perennials.

I believe there are Japanese MG varieties that behave. If you're a subscriber, check out the Morning Glory thread. Lots of good information there.
taranne
rio rancho, NM
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2010
10:01 AM

Post #7922184

Here in NM, where we don't get much rain, they are not as much like a weed popping up all over, but they do come back if they get watered a lot in the spring.
pendijk
Dordrecht
Netherlands

July 13, 2010
12:14 PM

Post #7965532

This message was edited Jul 13, 2010 12:16 PM
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

July 25, 2010
3:11 PM

Post #7996091

I have a morning glory I planted too . it has tons of foliage but no flowers yet , do they bloom the first year and also in the fall when it dies out after the frost do I cut it back down to the ground? Thanks Tammy
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2010
4:31 AM

Post #7997375

Yes, they get flowers the first year - it is an annual. It will die back when frost hits and then you have the fun of ripping it out. Fallen seeds will give you many new Morning Glories next year and for the rest of your life.
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2010
4:52 AM

Post #7997398

Still pulling out seedlings on a daily basis. They're everywhere.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2010
4:54 AM

Post #7997401

Same here. We removed the vine in 2005 but the seeds linger on and on and on.
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2010
3:46 PM

Post #7998737

Dont' tell me that Pirl! I've spent two summers picking those darn seedlings out. More poped up today. You mean I got 3 more years of it? Shoot me now!! I'm going to buy stock in Preen!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2010
4:49 PM

Post #7998814

Morning Glory seeds remain viable in the soil for 80 years - keep on picking! They are so determined that I'm not sure Preen would stop them.
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2010
4:34 AM

Post #8001609

I can just imagine our place when I'm dead and gone. A jungle of vines. Like a creepy old house you see in movies with a crazy, old woman living inside.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2010
10:04 AM

Post #8002270

Ha! Sounds like a house around here. The woman is a big believer in letting fallen leaves stay put so she hasn't had her "gardens" cleaned for the last 40 years.
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

July 28, 2010
6:50 PM

Post #8003369

I have one of these houses down the road from me. Nice sweet couple asked my husdand and son to come down last summer and get what they wanted out of there garden. My poor Guys came home empty handed they couldnt tell where the garden was for all the weeds , the house has bushes and vines that are over grown and gives the proberty a scary apperance the women told my husband they were old fashion gardeners and used the old ways to garden. My son said old like in prehistoric before the invention of hoes and rakes.
Tammy
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2010
6:25 AM

Post #8004072

When we were kids in the 50's we used to pass a house like that on our walk to school. It was on most of a whole city block. There was a big glass greenhouse out back. At one time the woman must have had a beautiful yard. The wood house was huge, but falling apart. The family had money, but it seems none of her children cared enough to take care of mom or keep up the property. When developers tore the house down they found money and old gold coins hidden in the walls. As a kid, my DH remembers sneaking on the property and peering into the windows. The woman was a hoarder. There's apartment buildings on the land now. Another possible town treasure, torn down and replaced with non-descript rental property. That probably wouldn't be allowed today, with so many cities now creating historical areas. Too late for the old Nelson property and all the potential it had for the town.

hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

July 29, 2010
2:16 PM

Post #8005009

that is a real shame that the house was torn down. I live out in the country quite a ways from the nearest town , down the road from us is an old brick school from the late 1800s it has been used to house pigs at one time but now it is just sitting there part of the roof is caving in . it is sad no one took the time to repair it. it is home to a family of foxes.
mwdallas
Carrollton, TX

September 27, 2010
6:37 PM

Post #8124907

I LOVE morning glories... They do re-seed. You can actually pick the seeds from the round little seedpods (there are a few in each pod). I have beautiful deep blue ones.

Thumbnail by mwdallas
Click the image for an enlarged view.

anfair
Amesbury, MA

October 1, 2010
6:39 PM

Post #8132406

I love my morning glories zone 5 so I replant each year in a big pot next to a post or fence no issues at all
Anne

Thumbnail by anfair

luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2011
3:37 PM

Post #8379480

Morning glory (weeds) are hard to remove from a vegetable garden. The seeds are so prolific that even though you pull them up every day, they will return. While you are busy putting up vegetables, they just keep on sprouting. Luciee
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2011
3:58 PM

Post #8379519

Precisely! It's why we removed the vine but still find seeds growing five years later and they probably always will be growing. I've read that they can grow for 80 years - remaining viable in the soil until the placement and time is right.
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

February 18, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8379834

wow I hope they dont become to big of a problem for me , I guess there kind of like honey suckle in that I love the smell of the honey suckle and wanted to plant some but every one tells me it spreads everywhere and inpossible to get rid of. I am afraid to plant it now .
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8379845

It must have taken me 10 years to eliminate my honeysuckle though I loved the smell, too. I just went too wild on me.
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

February 19, 2011
12:29 AM

Post #8380085

As a kid I remember walking home from school past a house with a fence completely covered in morning glories. We would stick our noses in them (even though they had no fragrance) just to feel the bloom collapse on our noses, then spring back again when we pulled our head away.
Eventually the MG's engulfed the entire house and everything around it, but we thought all that BLUE was beautiful.
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2011
4:49 AM

Post #8380172

pirl, I can believe 80 years!!! Some people love them, but not me. Our neigbor bad Heavenly Blue growing on a fence. The took movie pictures of them. They were beautiful, but this is not the flower for me. Luciee
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2011
4:55 AM

Post #8380174

Whatever plants we really want to delete seem to have this extreme inner vigor and the ability to survive Round Up, which makes it difficult to eliminate them except for gas and a match, which I wouldn't suggest.
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2011
5:05 AM

Post #8380183

Har har, pirl, I've used that method too. There is nothing more satisfying than to hear weeds popping in the fire. Luciee
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2011
6:07 AM

Post #8380257

I do have a torch but it was bought to kill weeds between the bricks of the terrace. Then I found out vinegar works well (and it's cheap) so that's what I use. The torch bothered my back due to bending for an hour or two at a time.
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

February 19, 2011
8:27 AM

Post #8380466

ok pirl: Fess up. How many pairs of shoes did you burn using the torch ? (hee hee)
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2011
9:19 AM

Post #8380561

Just my toes, JD! Actually the warmth felt very good!
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

February 19, 2011
12:41 PM

Post #8380895

wow A torch , my husband knows better than to let me around any thing flameable , he wont even let me burn the trash they all run when I just try and roast a marshmellow . I think I proved a lack of commen since when I tried to start a fire in the fireplace with nail polish remover. My eyebrows grew back after awhile though. Pirl I have never heard of vinger to kill weeds does it work well my husband uses bleach and I hate it.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2011
12:48 PM

Post #8380906

Vinegar is cheaper, here, than bleach and works VERY well.

I've done the eyebrow and eyelash singeing as well, Tammy! Had to laugh about you and the marshmallows!

The first time I tried to barbecue as a surprise for my husband (I was all of 20 years old) I didn't know what he put on the coals but gasoline was nearby. Boy! That made a flame that hit the top of the garage! I wheeled it out of the garage pronto and that chicken was the worst I've ever tasted. We had vegetables for dinner that night!
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

February 19, 2011
1:29 PM

Post #8380977

Pirl , the barbecue event made me laugh so hard I cried , it so sounds like something I would do!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2011
2:07 PM

Post #8381027

It made sense to me at the time I did it.

When I rolled out the barbecue with flames shooting for the sky I think the neighbors were stunned into silence as they looked up and up and up. Is it a bird, is it a plane, no - it's Arlene's first try at barbecue!

When I tell the story around others it never ceases to get them looking oddly at me and probably wondering about my sanity.
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

February 19, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8381347

There you have it: Arlene's secret recipe for High Octane Chicken.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2011
5:08 PM

Post #8381349

Gas is too expensive now to try it.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

February 20, 2011
3:42 AM

Post #8381874

With the amount of alcohol in it it would marinate the chicken as well.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2011
6:55 AM

Post #8382169

Try it and see if you like it. I'll stick with the veggies with steak on the side. LOL
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

February 20, 2011
8:26 AM

Post #8382307

It also gives a whole new meaning to the eppression "burnt bird" for bbq chicken.
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

February 20, 2011
10:37 AM

Post #8382477

LOL !
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

February 21, 2011
7:05 PM

Post #8385443

Pirl who knows you may have been the first to create one of my favorite dishes , Blackened Chicken .
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2011
7:12 PM

Post #8385456

It's one of those, "Don't try this at home", type recipes. Good for a laugh with your friends but it's a one of a kind taste sensation.
fwromanian
Perkasie, PA

June 2, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8604819

Hello everyone, another newbie here...asking about Morning Glories. I started some from seed this spring, I'd like to put them by the mailbox. The question is do I just plant one or 2? I can see how they can be aggressive since they're still in a little 8 oz biodegradable container and they're growing like crazy.
Thank you
Monica
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

June 3, 2011
9:25 AM

Post #8606123

Monica Welcome , I planted just one on a trellis and it covered every bit of my trellis . It wouldn't hurt to plant 2 of them and if it gets a bit to much you can always cut them back. What kind are you planting ? mine were Heavenly Blue
Tammy
fwromanian
Perkasie, PA

June 5, 2011
7:08 AM

Post #8610160

Hi Tammy, thank you for your reply. I don't know the name, I got the seeds from a friend's pot. I've seen his in bloom and they were purple-blue, intense color...which made me demand he let me have the seeds...lol. I was absolutely amazed to see how, after nicking them with a knife and soaking them in warm water, I saw tiny growth after 45 minutes of them being in the water (I did keep changing the water so it stayed warm).I went a different route than planting them in seed mix since I didn't have any anymore, I put them on a wet paper towel and in a baggie...I had 1.5" after 4 days...so cool to see...
I saw your post from last summer, did yours bloom? I did fertilize mine too, so when I saw your post and people saying you may have fertilized too much now I wonder if I'm going to get blooms... I would think any plants may benefit while small of some fertilizing, so if I put it in the ground now and don't fertilize anymore maybe I will get flowers.
And did you get lots of seedlings after they fell on the ground? Were you able to see them and maybe pick some up so you minimize the amount you might get next year?
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

June 29, 2013
2:44 PM

Post #9579007

I just planted more Heavenly Blue MGs, it is the end of June/first of July, will the ones I planted just now bloom this year or wait until next year, I just had the first purple bloom of the season. Here it is. I also planted heavenly blue earlier and they are up too, I am anxious to find out just what color some of the ones that have popped up about 2 or 3 inches from the lattice are, they are from last year so don't know whether they are red or purple.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

July 4, 2013
8:03 PM

Post #9587139

Ive notice that with a few annuals, they can live as perenials if given the right conditions. I once had a Lima bean plant for 4 years, and another for 3.
I guess it depends on the orgins of the plant and/or ancestors.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 6, 2014
5:02 PM

Post #9806398

I put 3 Morning glory seeds between 2 paper towels, got them damp, put a little hydrogen peroxide in there, put them in a saucer and put them in a baggie, then put them in the picture window and here is what I have so far, how much more should they sprout before I plant them into the pot and can I put all 3 in the same pot? If I am not wrong these are either Scarlett O'hara or Flying Saucer, I don't remember which ones they are.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 7, 2014
11:30 AM

Post #9807032

Plant them now with the root you see pointed down. The plants will figure out the rest.

This message was edited Apr 7, 2014 11:31 AM
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 7, 2014
6:10 PM

Post #9807328

I planted them root down in a medium square pot that I had lying around, I was thinking of soaking a few more to fill the pot, what do you think of my set up? It is a flourescent lamp so it won't melt the plastic pot.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

mommyistired
Fallon, NV

August 23, 2014
6:59 AM

Post #9924446

When can I plant new seeds for next spring? Can I plant them after frost this year or must I wait until next spring? Thanks!
cytf
Staten Island, NY

August 30, 2014
7:24 PM

Post #9929804

I will like to know if this is the Moon glow morning glory?I think the birds brought the seeds in my yard and they were popping up all over , but I just left this one against the fence.

Thumbnail by cytf   Thumbnail by cytf         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 31, 2014
7:03 AM

Post #9930007

This one is Milky Way. I grew it 5 years ago and am still getting seedlings.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

September 6, 2014
6:12 AM

Post #9934125

This is the favorite of beginner gardeners, it is easy to germinate and grows fast, it is called Clarkes Heavenly Blue and the blooms are huge! When the light hits them just right they glow! I have a bunch of them blooming on my Morning Glory tower, two more bloomed this morning here is a picture of some of them. I also have Scarlet O'Hara and Flying Saucer in the pot in the window indoors and some kind of purple ones out on the lattice. So I have the morning glories covered! I also have a moonflower bud that is 6 inches long! I can't believe how long it has gotten, the bloom should be just as huge. Will take pictures when it blooms, I also have about 4 more buds but this one takes the cake, it is my first ever. As you can see, the first pic is the moonflower bud, the second is a Heavenly Blue morning glory.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes   Thumbnail by emptyeyes         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

mogu

mogu
Brimfield, MA

September 25, 2014
9:41 AM

Post #9947415

Morning Glories
Are these only in
rainy season?
cytf
Staten Island, NY

October 6, 2014
11:53 AM

Post #9953931

Thank you kwanjin , I thought it was a wild type of Morning Glory.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America