Photo by Melody

Article: How many Weeds will a Warrior war when a Warrior will war Weeds?: Supervision...

Communities > Forums > Article: How many Weeds will a Warrior war when a Warrior will war Weeds?
bookmark
Forum: Article: How many Weeds will a Warrior war when a Warrior will war Weeds?Replies: 13, Views: 87
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2010
4:45 AM

Post #7921458

I can see a definite need for a "supervised" Weed Warrior program to eliminate unwanted growth, and to protect misidentified plants from their own warriors! Some of these invasive plants were actually introduced by our Federal government for erosion control and/or wild animal food and cover, like the Autumn Olive [ http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1758/ ]. They may be invasive in certain conditions, and only in some states, but not others! They are still doing the jobs they were planted for, so yanking them up without permission might also create more problems than is solved!

Thanks for the article, info, and the introduction to Weed Warriors (I hadn't heard of them).
Bev

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2010
5:01 AM

Post #7921485

Thanks for your comments Bev,
A good example of misidentification, around here, is Tree of Heaven versus Staghorn Sumac. It would be easy for a hasty weeder to see the long rows of leaflets and assume it's one or the other. They both sucker and have similar looking branches and trunks.

I'll go now and have a look at that article you linked above- thanks
Ah yes, I remember reading that earlier! Very interesting on the Autumn Olive. Thankls for reminding me.

This message was edited Jun 26, 2010 7:05 AM

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2010
7:29 AM

Post #7921787

Tree of Heaven was a big problem for me when I lived in northern Nevada. I called it the Tree of Hell. LOL! I couldn't stand the thing! I battle with bittersweet vine here, as well as barberry, burning bush, swallow wort vine, European buckthorn, etc.

Karen
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2010
9:32 AM

Post #7922069

Thanks for an interesting article, with an extremely catchy title! I learned a lot, both from what you wrote and by following the links you provided. :-)

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

June 26, 2010
4:56 PM

Post #7923170

Great title. We are still battling buckthorn on our property after 30 yrs. Agreed that it is an intermitant battle, but one, nevertheless.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2010
8:26 PM

Post #7923704

So that's how they keep the parks free of invasives! We need a Weed Warrior event here on our wooded, japanese honeysuckle-choked hillside! I have cleared small areas, but there are over 25 acres. And after it's cleared, I need a team of native plant planters...lol.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2010
4:46 AM

Post #7924159

Thanks for reading and commenting, all.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2010
7:59 AM

Post #7927228

Good luck with that, KyWoods!

Karen
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2010
4:54 PM

Post #7928683

LOL, thanks, I'll need it! Gee, I was hoping I'd get a bunch of volunteers by now... ;)

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2010
8:21 PM

Post #7929330

LOL! A little too far for me. I'm battling my own invasives.

Karen

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 29, 2010
5:09 AM

Post #7929732

Call me crazy, Ky, but if I had no other obligations I'd come and consider it fun!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2010
11:36 AM

Post #7930663

LOL, hey, it's the thought that counts!
msilenus
Malden, MA

March 27, 2013
6:39 PM

Post #9464434

Ailanthus and staghorn sumac are easy to distinguish from one another. Staghorn sumac always has fuzzy stems and trunk. Tree of heaven doesnt.
msilenus
Malden, MA

March 27, 2013
6:42 PM

Post #9464437

[quote="nutsfordaylily"]Tree of Heaven was a big problem for me when I lived in northern Nevada. I called it the Tree of Hell. LOL! I couldn't stand the thing! I battle with bittersweet vine here, as well as barberry, burning bush, swallow wort vine, European buckthorn, etc.

Karen[/quote]

Karen I know how you feel. I am in a losing battle with black swallowwort. Its the worst most tenacious weed I have ever seen. Almost impossible to eradicate. You leave one little strand of root in the ground and it grows another plant! Good luck with it.

Kirk

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: How many Weeds will a Warrior war when a Warrior will war Weeds? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Invasive Exotics. frostweed 1 Jun 27, 2010 4:48 AM
Climbing Ivy all over!!! pjinNY 7 Mar 10, 2011 4:38 AM
You are fortunate Noturf 0 Jul 1, 2010 3:54 AM
INVASVE NON-NATIVES dordee 0 Jul 1, 2010 10:16 PM
aggressive vine in NH TTSKA 1 Jul 29, 2010 9:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America