Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Can You Take It With You?: Re-visiting a formerly occupied garden -

Communities > Forums > Article: Can You Take It With You?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Can You Take It With You?Replies: 6, Views: 46
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gewuerze
Stone Mountain, GA

June 26, 2010
5:16 AM

Post #7921529

You are right - DON'T. Our garden had at least one blooming shrub or tree for every month of the year. Some were planted for a special occaision, like a child's birth, a friend's passing or just to salvage a beautiful specimen on a construction site. Within 4 months of moving every plant, tree and shrub was cut down - nothing remained but a dusted looking lawn. The county had a moratorium on cutting down trees and still, the 40 year old giant magnolia, chestnut trees, hybiscus and hydrangeas all fell to the destruction. The new owners used to be at home at African steppe, a fast grasland area...
tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2010
6:26 AM

Post #7921661

gewuerze: my heart aches for you. It is too sad to see these things happen.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2014
8:57 AM

Post #9763629

Yes, it's just to heart breaking to see what new owners will do to your beautiful gardens.

On the other hand, one of the homes we sold, we carried the contract. It was a little manufactured home in a senior park. Every month we get the check in a card telling me how much she loves the garden and what is currently in bloom!!

Don't we wish all sales of our precious flower gardens were always happy endings? LOL
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

February 10, 2014
4:40 AM

Post #9766173

I haven't experienced this myself but have consoled many gardening friends to whom it has happened. The other side of the story occurred with my parents after purchasing a home once owned for many years by the matriarch of a large family. My parents were the exception to the rule, having been keen gardeners for many years themselves, and not only did they take excellent care of the established beds but also added to them. However, about a year after they moved in, a car full of eager family members showed up on their door step, each with their own laundry basket, asking if they could dig up "Nanna's plants". My father was very kind and sympathetic but, envisioning the disaster that might result, generously offered to help them take cuttings and starts. The family members were a bit disappointed, but they agreed. This turned into a bit of a party, actually, which was rather nice. The children and grandchildren shared the history of each plant and Dad listened and shared his skills. Everyone left happy with the results. Still, I think wise gardeners should either share plants while they are alive, properly and legally bequeth them in wills, or let them go.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2014
7:07 AM

Post #9766306

Oh man... a family with baskets asking a YEAR later to dig up plants!!! AAAaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrk.
I'm proud of your father's response and a little dismayed at the family's nerve. I'm glad to hear it had a happy ending.
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

February 10, 2014
6:26 PM

Post #9766798

Yeah, I don't think it even occurred to them that anyone would object to their coming in to "rescue" Nanna's plants. Dad was so charming, though. He managed to discourage them from trying to dig up and move some well-established peonies by finding a local nursery that offered the very same variety and even offered the family a group rate, which was probably just landscaper's prices, for a dozen plants.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2014
7:50 PM

Post #9766856

"Rescue", good grief... they were well maintained and your family had added to it!!! Grrrrrrrrr LOL

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Can You Take It With You? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
TRUE! Aunt_A 15 Jun 18, 2010 8:18 PM
Thanks, I Needed This MistyPetals 1 Mar 3, 2008 11:15 AM
Portability.... Gymgirl 1 Jun 18, 2010 11:29 AM
You Are Right ! Ret_Sgt_Yates 2 Jun 18, 2010 11:35 AM
Timely article... iris4me0223 1 Jun 21, 2010 9:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America