Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Drying leaves on African Mask

Litchfield Park , AZ(Zone 9b)

I need help with my Alocasia Amazonica, African Mask. The leaves are drying in spots, often yellow ringed. I have the plant on a stand near but not in an east facing window. I water it weekly and mist it occasionally. Is it too dry, not enough light or what.

Thumbnail by dmwade
Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

I don't know a whole lot about these plants (I've only tried one) except that they are notoriously hard to grow. They are not happy in most households. They need a greenhouse with carefully controlled humidity. Most houses are much too dry for them. I adore them and think they are beautiful, but alas, they seem to be only for experts with an expert setup.

(Zone 1)

I have this plant and it does require very bright light and continuously moist but not soggy soil. Mine goes dormant in the winter months and re-appears in spring. The Exotic Rainforest site has in depth information on this plant. If you scroll down almost to the very bottom of this page it gives cultural information: http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Alocasia%20micholitziana%20%20pc.html

Morpeth, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I've had one for several years and it's pretty easy going. Not too difficult to keep happy. They will occasionally lose a leaf which is normal.

Columbus, OH

I'd try placing the plant on a pebble tray, they enjoy some humidity. I overwinter mine in the bathroom, and I do keep it on a pebble tray.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.