-
AuthorContent
dmwade
Oregon, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 26, 2010
8:46 AM

Post #7921979

I need help with my Alocasia Amazonica, African Mask. The leaves are drying in spots, often yellow ringed. I have the plant on a stand near but not in an east facing window. I water it weekly and mist it occasionally. Is it too dry, not enough light or what.
dee

Thumbnail by dmwade
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Seaecho
Phelan, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 12, 2010
5:43 PM

Post #8036354

I don't know a whole lot about these plants (I've only tried one) except that they are notoriously hard to grow. They are not happy in most households. They need a greenhouse with carefully controlled humidity. Most houses are much too dry for them. I adore them and think they are beautiful, but alas, they seem to be only for experts with an expert setup.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 13, 2010
12:48 PM

Post #8037862

I have this plant and it does require very bright light and continuously moist but not soggy soil. Mine goes dormant in the winter months and re-appears in spring. The Exotic Rainforest site has in depth information on this plant. If you scroll down almost to the very bottom of this page it gives cultural information: http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Alocasia micholitziana pc.html
kniphofia
Morpeth
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2011
4:53 AM

Post #8633652

I've had one for several years and it's pretty easy going. Not too difficult to keep happy. They will occasionally lose a leaf which is normal.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

June 22, 2011
4:52 AM

Post #8646333

I'd try placing the plant on a pebble tray, they enjoy some humidity. I overwinter mine in the bathroom, and I do keep it on a pebble tray.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Indoor Gardening and Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
anyone know how to root norwalk pines?? tom1953 4 Jun 14, 2010 5:43 PM
Ant's in my Plants! millertime71 9 Aug 26, 2009 6:53 PM
Houseplant Photos jdee 31 Apr 5, 2013 5:45 AM
Variegated Begonia Semperflorens mkjones 9 Jul 26, 2007 5:39 PM
A couple of silly questions... danak 9 Jun 18, 2012 6:01 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America