-
AuthorContent
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2010
12:32 PM

Post #7922608

I was given a pot of this..The leaves are about foot and half in length. Common name is Red Bamboo ginger..

Thumbnail by Moodene
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2010
5:25 AM

Post #7924233

Nice looking plant!

olddude

olddude
Big Pine Key, FL
(Zone 11)

June 27, 2010
7:12 PM

Post #7926032

This was a popular plant a couple years back aeound here. Of course now that I'm looking for one I can find any.
Scott
GingerGrower
Anthony, FL

June 28, 2010
5:26 AM

Post #7926838

Hi olddude, That ginger is Alpinia luteocarpa, It is a tropical ginger that was being cloned by one of the Tissue culture labs about 4 or 5 years ago. They were suppling the big wholesale nurseries in Miami & elsewhere. The lab has almost stopped production of gingers now. So the gingers that were found in Lowes & Home Depot, & Walmart, will no longer be available there. You can still find the Siam Tulpis, because the rhizomes are imported each year from Thailand.

Thumbnail by GingerGrower

olddude

olddude
Big Pine Key, FL
(Zone 11)

June 29, 2010
6:45 PM

Post #7931634

Thanks for the info GG. I just picked up a couple of the Curcuma alismatfolia for $5.50 each as an impulse buy at Home Depot. I guess for that price I can't whine to much that they don't include the cultivar name. As for the A. luteocarpa that is the story of my life a day late or a dollar short.

Scott
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 30, 2010
6:41 AM

Post #7932510

I am going to divide mine up later on the year...lol
GingerGrower
Anthony, FL

July 1, 2010
11:58 AM

Post #7935818

Hey Nadine, I would love to try it again, I lost mine because I was given the wrong info from the grower I bought them from. They DO NOT temps below 32*.

Hey Scott, I just bought 5 of those Siam Tulips to try again. I tried some of the small pink ones that Lowes is selling, but they seemed to die off in a couple years in the garden. The varieties that Home Depot has are some of the new ones, much larger flowers. A bed of these was planted at Fairchild Gardens in Coral Gables in 2007, I think that is the correct year. I thought I would give them a try again, they are really beautiful. There are large fields of them in the national parks in Thailand, they have a Siam Tulip festival every year. There weather is kinda like Florida, except they have more rain there & the troubles I have heard about here is the humidity & Thailand gets temps over 100* & as much as 90 inches of rain a year in some areas, so I don't know. Well good luck with them.

Curcuma 'Ladawan' is a hybrid of a Siam Tulip X Curcuma Cordata, it does great here in pots & in the ground. I have grown them for about 5 years now.
Here is a pic of Ladawan !

Thumbnail by GingerGrower

olddude

olddude
Big Pine Key, FL
(Zone 11)

July 2, 2010
5:11 AM

Post #7937282

The only problem I'm havivg so far is the Key Deer sneaking in the gate(somehow) and eating the bracts. They actually don't eat them but tear the bloom off and then spit it out.

Scott
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

July 2, 2010
9:15 AM

Post #7937877

Ok, Richard, I will save you some and my friend says to keep it in a pot in the ground.Then pull pot up and put in greenhouse to over winter it...I can use a break from this raining we are having...nothing is drowned yet..
GingerGrower
Anthony, FL

July 2, 2010
5:43 PM

Post #7938837

Thank You Nadine !

Hey Scott, I know the Deer love gingers, are you sure it is not squirrels tearing up the blooms ? They are always my biggest problem & have been for 9 years.

olddude

olddude
Big Pine Key, FL
(Zone 11)

July 3, 2010
4:52 AM

Post #7939706

Yep, definately Key Deer, there are no squirrels this far down the Keys. Fortunately for me the Key Deer tend to leave all the gingers alone, except for the blooms. I just found a deer this morning in the yard, she had yanked a newly planted curcuma out of the ground only munching one bract. I swear this deer has the gate code and I can't for the life of me figure out how she is getting in. The other problem I have are iguanas but they too don't munch the gingers.
Scott
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

July 3, 2010
2:49 PM

Post #7940878

I had maintained a large stand of Alpinia luteocarpa, which I obtained several years ago from Tropiflora for, like, $5.00, for about 7 years. It was planted in the greenhouse next to my tulip torch ginger. It had never experienced any problems til this last winter, when it was so dreadfully cold here in FL for so long. I maintained the GH last winter at 45F and the luteocarpa died back. I was amazed. 45F?????

So I dug the rhizomes and they looked A-ok. I replanted them into pots and now the plant is returning.

I had several instances of hurtfulness from plants in the GH that resented 45F for a prolonged period of time at night (and in the day...there were some days here last winter where the daytime temp struggled to reach 45F)...my Costus "Kiss of Death" went dormant, and many philodendrons and anthuriums growing on the GH walls developed dead patches in their stems and had to be taken down, trimmer, rehabbed, and replanted. My Red Sealing Wax palms died, all 4 of them.

I like this ginger, but the flowers are so small, I rarely noticed them.
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

July 3, 2010
5:26 PM

Post #7941142

I just like the looks of this Aplinia ginger..lol.. My Costus 'Kiss of Death' never went dormant..Got it at the end of summer last year and did well in the hothouse for me..
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

July 4, 2010
4:02 AM

Post #7941967

My Kiss of Death was almost 10 years old, huge stand of plant. ALmost constantly in bloom. It was just too close to the greenhouse wall (like right NEXT to the GH wall) in a corner and got too cold
GingerGrower
Anthony, FL

July 5, 2010
2:48 PM

Post #7945533

Hi gothqueen, Do you have the large greenhouse with everything planted in the ground...like giant Heliconias & gingers. I think I bought some Costus from you about 5 years ago.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gingers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Costus Raspberry Yogurt-pic Moodene 8 Jul 15, 2009 12:26 AM
Dichorisanda pendula Moodene 9 Aug 28, 2008 5:33 PM
Stumped by non-blooming butterfly gingers smartdog 20 Mar 13, 2007 10:09 PM
Oh That Fragrance! Xeramtheum 43 Sep 17, 2008 1:08 AM
Costus asplundii - first photo of flowers gingersrus 11 Jan 2, 2009 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America