-
AuthorContent
Gerris2
Wilmington, DE
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2010
6:59 AM

Post #7924439

I have had the pleasure of growing out this fine plant for the past two years. It made many flowers in its second year after having survived an extremely wet and cold Delaware winter. It has flowers similar to the other S. przewalskii plant I grew, Robin, perhaps they are the same having come from your collection?

Joseph

Thumbnail by Gerris2
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gerris2
Wilmington, DE
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2010
7:00 AM

Post #7924446

Here is more of a frontal view.

It made a pile of seeds, in case anyone wants to trade.

Joseph

Thumbnail by Gerris2

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2010
6:57 AM

Post #7927053

Would it like Florida ?
2salvia
London
United Kingdom

June 28, 2010
4:34 PM

Post #7928628

Well, this seems to be just like S. przewalskii. I was told that the var. mandarinorum form had a white lower lip. Maybe it does...but seeds from Chinese species are always hit and miss, unfortunately. I apologise for any disappointments to anyone I sent seeds to.

Maybe I should not mention this, but I will, anyway...Chiltern Seeds were selling seeds of Salvia hians (and we ALL know how almost impossible it is to find the real thing) last year, with an almost accurate description of the plant and flowers...so, "here we go again" , I thought...MAYBE this time...) Turned out to be przewalskii or dolichantha...both closely related...but nothing like the true S. hians. I believe I have the true S. hians, from Christine Yeo...it is a very difficult plant. But the flowers are outstandingly beautiful...for a very short period.
Rich_dufresne
Candor, NC

June 28, 2010
8:15 PM

Post #7929309

Most interior Chinese sages do not like hot, humid nights. Salvia nubicola is an exception, and many of the coastal Japanese sages would work, though they might get stressed in the summer.
Gerris2
Wilmington, DE
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2010
4:43 AM

Post #7929690

Robin,

I germinated the last 2 seeds I had from you and maybe one of those plants will make the flowers with the traits you described.

It is a happy plant in my garden and made a vast number of flowers this spring. Its flower is just the size for a bumble bee worker to fit. A queen bumble bee would have a tight squeeze fit. I have absolutely no regrets in growing it and I thank you for giving me the opportunity to do so. I am slowly getting to the gems you sent to me, SL411 is one of which I have 4 strong seedlings. Is it a frost tender plant?

The Plantfiles entry for przewalskii needs to be updated for my Zone 7a plants are hardy here, and the entry has the northern hardiness range of Zone 8.

Joseph
2salvia
London
United Kingdom

June 29, 2010
9:43 AM

Post #7930430

Joseph,

SL411 is extremely frost tender.

Robin.
Gerris2
Wilmington, DE
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2010
10:40 AM

Post #7930544

Good, it will be my friend this winter indoors.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2011
6:41 AM

Post #8598823

Salvia przewalskii - growing happily in Florida...grown from seed obtained from Gerris last year.

Thumbnail by mjsponies

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8600310

photo of the plant..

Thumbnail by mjsponies

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 3, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9068366

I just found some of these seeds in my "salvia stash"

the seed pack is dated 08, so hope they germinate.
It's a handmade seed packet... do not know where they came from.

the blooms sure look pretty. LOVE purple.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Agastaches and Salvias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Salvia pictures from my garden Gerris2 133 Mar 21, 2007 6:49 PM
My favorite Salvias ecrane3 88 Jun 5, 2007 11:39 PM
Agastaches & Salvias I'm Getting Thru Mail Order Marilynbeth 55 Mar 11, 2007 10:49 PM
Agastache & salvia Ariel73 2 Apr 10, 2007 7:14 PM
Salvia 'Discolor' mrs_colla 9 Mar 13, 2007 6:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America