Birthday Club The Next Generation #1

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I am going to set some hard and fast rules for the Birthday Club effective immediately. Hopefully this will allow everyone to play nice together. Since no one seems to want to step up and be the bad guy, I'll do it. I know we will lose some more people, and that some will be upset for one reason or another. But hey, this is the bottom line. This is supposed to be FUN. Not a one of us needs another hassle in our busy, stressed out lives. Everyone here has some cross to bear, some folks carry more than one.

So rule number one is HAVE FUN! If you can't bring a sense of humor or a smile to the party don't come.

Rule number two is about the "gifting" of birthday goodies. New plan that I hope will solve the problems of most of the people with financial issues. All goodies must fall into one of these 3 categories:

1. A handmade or crafted something that you do. Most everyone I know on DG sews, paints, crafts or does some sort of hobby that they could share in some small way with the birthday people. If it is only a handmade card that you can send for $.44 that is terrific. This is not supposed to be about the gifts, but the giving. If any of you have joined thinking that you are going to have some bodacious birthday haul of expensive items, think again.

2. Second category would be plants. Hey we are a gardening forum after all. A lot of folks have extras or starts or cuttings. Send what you can afford to ship.

3. Gift cards for plants, or gardening related items or anything else that people have mentioned in their wishlists. I am not going to set an amount. Make it whatever your budget allows. Once again it is about the thought and the effort. There has been discussion of using the gift card idea and people thought that wasn't fair for the birthday person to have to pay shipping on their own gift. Seriously now, how many of you are going to go to Bluestone or Almost Eden and just get a couple of things? Come on. If you are going to go shopping there you are probably going to spend more than the gift card anyway so the shipping is just part of that. Anyone that does crafts would love a card to Micheals or JoAnns etc. I know I would. Keep in mind a lot of gift cards can be done online eliminating the postage issue all together.

Now that we have the ground rules set I encourage everyone to go to the New Likes and Dislikes link and adjust their posts accordingly. List your plant wants. List the places you like to shop or would like a gift card from.

Current Members:

Rouxcrew (Joy) Jan. 15
ClanCampbell (Chris) Feb.28
FruitoftheVine- (Susan) April 9
Janaestone - (Dianae) April 12
Sissy70 - (Judy) April 16
Marti001 (Mary) April 17
Gardenchick1982 (Becky) May 27
Polyacre (Paula) August 14
GAgirl1066 (Paula) Sept. 1
Barhea7 (Bre) Sept 7
Ddbydeb (Deb) Sept. 22
Ridesredmule (Charlene) Oct. 1
Rvnsbrk - (Juanita) Oct 9
Hope43 (Hope) Dec. 28

New Likes/ Wants Thread

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1107561/

This message was edited Jul 19, 2010 11:33 AM

This message was edited Jul 27, 2010 1:25 PM

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm back!!!!

Great trip. Came home to some deer damage, some beetle infestations and some dried out dead plants, but it should be fixable with some time and replacements.

Hotter than all get out here. I was out for a little this morning, but I can't even think about working out there tomorrow. We have some tree work to do and I have a bunch of clients to weed. This is the time of year when it is not fun to work outside. :0)

Stay cool everyone! No July birthdays so everyone gets some time off. That doesn't mean you can disappear. Hang out whenever you can and share some plant photos or other intel about the things in your life that make you happy, sad, crazy etc.

Neener

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

Glad you are back Neener! Glad y'all had a marvelous time!

We are hot and dry. I am hoping for the tropical depression to move into our part of the gulf and maybe give us some rain although it might make trouble for LA and the oil spill. After lessons this morning we started on the corn patch but I had to stop after a couple rows due to the heat. We might get a chance to start up again this evening after lessons, but it now stays pretty hot till after dark. Hmmmm, maybe I can pick corn by the light of the moon.

Thumbnail by rouxcrew
Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

We need rain all of a sudden Joy. It is really awful here and the heat index is over 100. Supposed to get better later in the week, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Summerville, SC(Zone 9b)

Welcome back Neener! OK who hexed me?LOL! I gave been sick all month I swear! Had to go in on Fri for surg for my kidney stones jeesh! I just htought i would be up and rinnign all over like new by monday so I coudl teach a class! I am so behind! did get out and drag myself around to pick veggies though! if you want a real producer try Pepino man it is going crazy on the fence! I have smepnt my limit on time up so I am headined back to eat a pain P and curl up or stretch out rather!

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Welcome back, Neener! And you take care Deb.

Here's "Tropical Depression" for you Joy.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh my!!!! Is it your tropical depression Fruity???? Would it be able to spawn off some baby depressions this September???

Joy

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Beautiful Daylily.

Yes it is, Joy! I started a new Spider Daylily garden last Fall and should have a baby or two by them to share with you. Here's another view of the same bloom.

Is it EVER going to cool down? DH and I just came in from our back porch that faces East and it's still 98 in the shade with about 300% humidity.

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Susan , after seeing you here and again at the RU, we could be called the sweating twosome. I didn't know anyone sweated bullets like I do,(and boy did I sweat today, got sun burnt to) but my dear friend, you do. Stay cool if possible.

It's a good thing we both have short hair and can push it back over our ears and point it in a V behind our heads. We might still be sweating bullets the next time we see each other. Take it easy & don't overdo it.

Here's a close-up of Zinnia "Candy Cane" grown from seeds my SIL Denise sent me for my B-day.

Blackshear, GA

Oh Fruity,
Love it! Please save me some seed. As you may or may not know, we make and distribute peppermint, so I would love to have that one. I am trying to collect some things with peppermint or candy cane in the name. So far I have a peppermint hydrangea and geranium. I think I tried those last year and they didn't do so well for me, but I think they needed more sun than I gave them. Thanks

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Fruity I love that zinnia. As you know they are one of my favorites. From seed no less. You rock girlfriend!!

Paula what kind of things do you do in peppermint??

Oh well, off to the races. Many errands to do today. Hopefully it won't be as hot.

This is the rascally little kitten on vacation. He found a great place to rest.

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk

Cutie Pye!

I saved half the pack of seeds, GA, in case I needed to try again. Will send them to you :) It's sort of weird some of the blooms are red & white striped and others are white or yellow, all from the same Burpee pack.

Blackshear, GA

No Susan, don't do that. You keep those. I sent your package today, so you will be getting a little surprise about Thurs. The craziest thing, I can't find the jewel orchid I was trying to root for you. I don't know what I did with it. Just have to try another.

Too late, GA. I have your envy of seeds already sealed and ready to mail in the morning. Oh, the cutting I took of Bonfire rooted and is doing well. It's still an itty bitty plant but wanted you to know I had good luck and it's doing well.

Everybody cool off and have a "Milkshake"........coneflower that is.

I love kittens, til they get to their teenage years, that's when they start becoming a cat.
They are so long-legged and gangly looking. But I like cats, used to have a pair of Siamese. So pretty.

Then here's a pic for you, Charlene. Kitty Shadow had a litter of 4 kittens Saturday. Two are black with white feet & have white patches on their chests and look a lot like their Dad, and the other two are creamy white. So far two kittens are spoken for, well three if you count my MIL who wants a boy. Been there, done that, Neener, when I didn't have a clue :)

Oh! Fruity, They are beautiful. Look at mama I know she is padding her paws with love for her babies.
Don't forget pic when their wee little eyes open. They are adorable. Kiss kiss babies.
Auntie Charleen loves you.

Blackshear, GA

Fruity,
Didn't she just have a baby a little while ago? Did you give that one away? My son says he wants one.

I bet that little white one will show the Siamese. It will get darker. Can't wait for their eyes to open.
Let's see if they got blue eyes. The male Siamese I had was so crosseyed, he was beautiful.

GA, I sure did and he's up there in Neener's basket...LOL! Pye was Kitty Shadow's "litter of one" born on St. Patties Day. Can you tell he went to a great home and that little stinker has already been on a vacation! Edited to say: If your son wants one, we're on!

Oh good, Charlene, I wasn't sure if they'd get their points later or not. There's actually two creamy ones in the litter. The larger one is curled up suckling and the skinnier one is climbing. They're all so much fun to watch and hold and talk to. When I scratch their tummies, they yawn :) Absolutely precious!

This message was edited Jun 30, 2010 5:26 PM

MY DH doesn't care for cats , he says, But I love all critters.
But aren't they nice to kiss on top of their little heads. Give one a kiss for me.

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

We live next to a farm and people are forever dropping cats off by our house. I have a soft spot for the little things and have brought home(found) 6 cats and 3 kittens. All at different times of course. They have all been taken to good homes except for one. =)

my daughter Anna and our found kitten,kiku . They both fell asleep.

Thumbnail by momoftwo607

Anna's so cute, Erin, and it looks like Kiku is as big as she is...lol I rescue kittens and puppies dropped at our dumpsters and take them to our local animal shelter. It's so sad people can be so cruel to a helpless animal!

Will do, Charlene :) Somebody dropped Kitty Shadow at our house about this time last year when she was just a kitten and was such a wild-child she llived under our utility building for about a month before we could coax her out and finally touch her. Now she's my cat, follows me everywhere, and is such a love! Can you tell she was born to be a gardener....LOL

She truelly is a gaArden cat. I got garden chickens, She is beautiful.
I have a new flower bed I'm starting and here are my little "helpers"
the Baby girl and kitten are cute. DH says I sleep like that. Cute.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule
Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Charlie what kind of chicken is that one in the center? He is gorgeous!!! I love chickens as much as I love kitties..

Neener

Wow, GA! I found the box of plants you sent me this afternoon next to our garage door. Our regular mail lady is off for the long Holiday week-end and she always leaves my stuff on our front porch. What a nice surprise! OK, I know the begonias are houseplants and the White Crinum is a perennial I can plant in my garden, but still need to look the rest of them up. From their names I'm guessing they're tropicals like the Black Magic EE. To clue the rest of you in, GA started cuttings for me in March and I'm floored to have another B-Day present. GA, You rock!

The little rooster in the middle is a SEBRITE (?) I hope that's right but if you google they will tell you.
It is a Banty and was thrown over my Mule fence and made it's way, there was 6, til hawk got them, up
to our Cedar Tree, that is where they roost. Even that hen. Keeps them safe.

He's pretty, Charlene. We have a pair of red-shouldered Hawks hanging around and I got a kick out of watching a Mockingbird chase one of them off yesterday. Talk about fiesty! When I was a kid, we had Rhode Island Red's so yours looks really exotic and cool-looking. What kinds of plants are on tap for your new garden?

Iris and Daylilies and a bog for Iris's.
isn't that great????

Sounds like a great plan :)

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

Hello all, trying get back on my feet foot lol. legs so bad painful and right foot. but its ok you all know me by now i will come thru it all by the grace of God..

thinking of you all.. many blessings, happiness.

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Keep hanging in there Hope. Thinking of you.

Neener

I sent you a d-mail, Hope.
charleen

It might sound weird, Twyla, but I was thinking about you today since I hadn't seen you on here for a while. You take care.

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Twyla, Just know you are special to us and will remain in our prayers. You are so right. "
All things are possible with God.'

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

You all make me feel so good and happy to thnaks..

Charleen thanks so very very much..

Hugs, Girl. We love you...

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Hey Joy you out there?? DH and I were talking about border collies this morning over coffee and that got me to thinking about Rain. Haven't heard you mention him lately. How's he doing with his training?

Hope everyone is staying safe and cool. It is going to be in the nineties here all week and that pretty much means I will be laying low.

Look for the black blob up in that tree and you will see the little Pyewacket kitty exploring his world. He thinks if he lays up there over the bird feeder he will get lucky. Fortunately the birds are smarter than that.

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.