Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Hardy Hibiscus--Hardier Than You Think: Hardy Hibiscus

Communities > Forums > Article: Hardy Hibiscus--Hardier Than You Think
bookmark
Forum: Article: Hardy Hibiscus--Hardier Than You ThinkReplies: 5, Views: 103
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Ari7
Dublin, OH

June 28, 2010
5:52 AM

Post #7926881

I live in Ohio and I love these plants, too. I have them in my backyard and people stop and admire them all summer. I've even had my house identified as, "the one with those beautiful flowers in the yard." The only negative with these plants, and it's a huge negative, are the Japanese Beetles. They love them, too! It's a constant battle!
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

June 28, 2010
8:00 AM

Post #7927230

Wow! I've never had them bothered by Japanese beetles!! Maybe it's because I have too many lilies taking all of their attention away from the Hibiscus!
jridley
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 28, 2010
8:17 AM

Post #7927291

Do you know if we can grow them in Texas/zone 8?
cathylovesroses
Littleton, CO

June 28, 2010
11:06 AM

Post #7927775

I have a hedge of 3 along one side of my driveway -same cultivar as in the pictures - I live south of denver in Centennial - zone 5 - I ditto everything in the article - Last to come up in the spring - someone always says your hibiscus look like they didn't make it through the winter - I don't fertilize - they get a little alfala from the lawn fertilization - last to bloom with the dahlias - no spraying - no bugs - watered with lawn - delicate looking but tough as nails and a showstopper. Mine were marked hardy at Paulino's - I didn't believe the tag - started them from one gallon pots 6 years ago - don't cover or mulch in winter. Mine are huge. LOVE THEM.

I;m a hobby gardener who has crossed the line into obsession. Must try everything. Out of room for new plants. Smile.
Linny1
(Linny) Salem, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 28, 2010
2:12 PM

Post #7928297

Are Luna 's hardy? I just saw those and nearly fainted they are so gorgeous. I live in zone 7.
louparris
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 28, 2010
3:53 PM

Post #7928531

I live in zone 9 (Houston,TX) and my hardy hisbiscus is wonderful. However, I am told it blooms on new growth and so cut mine back each year. Of course, this plant rarely freezes here. We did have a hard, early freeze last new and it froze to the ground, but is back going strong.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Hardy Hibiscus--Hardier Than You Think Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Good Article oriole 31 May 27, 2008 12:37 AM
HARDIER THAN YOU THINK rickhead 1 Feb 11, 2008 1:29 PM
I love them too! suefalls 2 Feb 12, 2008 4:13 AM
I think they are wonderful tina61 1 Feb 11, 2008 9:32 PM
Hardee Hibiscus karen_cajun 5 Jun 28, 2010 8:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America