Photo by Melody

Article: How many Weeds will a Warrior war when a Warrior will war Weeds?: Climbing Ivy all over!!!

Communities > Forums > Article: How many Weeds will a Warrior war when a Warrior will war Weeds?
bookmark
Forum: Article: How many Weeds will a Warrior war when a Warrior will war Weeds?Replies: 7, Views: 50
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pjinNY
Massapequa Park, NY

June 28, 2010
10:20 AM

Post #7927672

I have tried pulling up the climbing ivy from my beds, borders, shrubs. It is concentrated on the Southwestern side of my property and I cannot seem to find any good solution to ridding the area of this actually quite lovely but very invasive pest.
Any good ideas would be most welcomed!!!
Thank you all!!!
omasuziq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2010
2:36 PM

Post #7928336

I know what you mean, pjinNY. Ivy is a great plant until it goes where you don't want it to, and then it's almost impossible to destroy. I've never found pulling it out a terrifically successful effort. Seems to me, unless you get all the roots, severing the tops only encourages more of the stuff. Covering with dark plastic to prevent photosynthesis and therefore growth also didn't seem to kill it. It just found a way to get beyond where I lay the plastic. Frankly (and I wish I could deny this), the only success I've had is with painting the pruned plant stems with vegetation killer, sometimes several times. Not optimal, I know.

The original article spoker about the "tree of life." I think that's what I know as Ailanthus and it can be a terrible pest in the greater NY area, where I am now. Pulling never helped much if the seedling was too well-established (and to me the plant stank when it was pulled) so I used the same harsh method. My son lives in NC and I can see he has the same problem with Mimosa and Crape Myrtles. Both lovely, but they come up all over the place if left to their own devices.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 29, 2010
5:22 AM

Post #7929765

I agre on the English Ivy- it has creopt into the lawn so it gets mowed over but the ground surface roots just go on and on. The leathery shiny leaves probably don't absorb vegetation killer well.
Ailanthus- we were told not to try and pull because of the resprouting, but to try and dig the whole root. Thats hard too! Chemical use is justified. Yes Mimosa and pink Crape Myrtle are everywhere in the South.
omasuziq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2010
2:20 PM

Post #7930964

Sally, you make me feel much less guilty about the chemical use - which I do only very selectively and only after all else fails. It's so important to know how plants are going to react to the environment we're giving them before we commit to them. If we see a neighbor has something we like, it's probably worth taking the time to ask them about any problems they may have had.

And we can be lulled into a fall sense of security by statements in catalogs about perenniality in certain Zones. I bought one Maypop plant (passiflora incarnata?) thinking it might not survive the winters in Zone 7a but would be beautiful that summer. Wrong! The darn thing came up everywhere (including throughout the lawn of zoysia) year after year. My daughter discovered one on her property last summer (likely from a bird-borne seed or something) and I've told her she's in for it now.
Suzanne

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 29, 2010
7:27 PM

Post #7931774

I have Maypops. (Boy do I have Maypops.) I believe they are native (don't quote me) but one of the most amazing suckering survive a holocaust type plants I have grown

francine38
Falls Church, VA

March 7, 2011
4:11 AM

Post #8411387

Once upon a time I had ivy growing from my neighbor into my yard. I was successful in just pulling them and getting the roots also. It took me several years, but finally I was successful. I did not think it was as hard as getting rid of the Japanese honeysuckles, which finally I also got rid of. The hardest ones to get rid of are bindweeds and mugworts and black walnuts. I am still fighting the black walnuts which got planted by the squirrels from the nuts of my neighbor. And still fighting the bind weeds. I finally got rid of mugworts by using chemicals. There are pictures of the young black walnut and mugworts when you click on "Tree of heaven". The tree of heaven was misidentified. Tree of heaven is this http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.emmitsburg.net/gardens/large_plant_images/tree%2520of%2520heaven.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.emmitsburg.net/gardens/articles/frederick/2001/invasive_exhotics.htm&h=512&w=765&sz=154&tbnid=7Bo3BTlkbWWOHM:&tbnh=95&tbnw=142&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtree%2Bof%2Bheaven&zoom=1&q=tree+of+heaven&usg=__Zw-6t7ayoNARUmKJ7LTmNlyXRz8=&sa=X&ei=9MJ0Tan7L8nPgAejn4iTDA&ved=0CDcQ9QEwBA

They are very similar, but yet different. That misidentified picture could have part of my yard a few years ago. Wall to wall mugworts and lots and lots of black walnuts, that my neighbor claimed was a slow grower. It is a fast growing tree. When very young, it is still easy to pull out, but you wait a few weeks, they are very hard to pull out with roots and all. Black walnuts are fine if you have a big yard, but not if your property is 1/8 of an acre with lots of squirrels burying the nuts in the neighbors back AND front yards. The mugworts I think was dormant for a long long time and when they got exposed to the sun with the digging when my house was being renovated, they grew rampant and I did not know what they were, just got rid of the growth by mowing. The following year more of them grew. It was a nightmare.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2011
5:14 AM

Post #8411487

You have my sympathy. I am too familiar with most of those you named, and some others you may have dealt with in your mix too.
I think i also had the mugwort. What a pretty ferny foliage, I thought, the first spring. Your walnut battle looks to be ongoing, unfortunately. I get hickory seedlings, and I can't even find a hickory tree within several properties of my house.

Thanks for reading and commiserating!
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

March 10, 2011
4:38 AM

Post #8417823

I do battle with mimosas, bindweed (also called devil's claw here after it's seed pods, and is an aphid magnet!) cherry laurel, elm, and the pecan trees planted by squirrels.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: How many Weeds will a Warrior war when a Warrior will war Weeds? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Supervision... Sundownr 13 Mar 27, 2013 6:42 PM
Invasive Exotics. frostweed 1 Jun 27, 2010 4:48 AM
You are fortunate Noturf 0 Jul 1, 2010 3:54 AM
INVASVE NON-NATIVES dordee 0 Jul 1, 2010 10:16 PM
aggressive vine in NH TTSKA 1 Jul 29, 2010 9:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America