Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
plantdivinity
Alpine, TX

June 28, 2010
6:40 PM

Post #7929036

My, my, what a plant! And to think that I spotted it in our small local nursery a few days ago, in West Texas. I didn't know it was a diamond in the rough. Hopefully it grows in rather poor soil. We are zone 6, Maybe someone will tell me if it can survive here. The soil is very alkiline. Thanks for an exciting posting!
Elsauzito
Edinburg, TX

June 28, 2010
7:25 PM

Post #7929174

Wow I love hibiscus, but never seen this kind. I live in deep South Texas. Does anyone they would survive our 100+ degree weather here.
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

June 29, 2010
4:46 AM

Post #7929694

It'll survive zone 6...lives happily for me here in zone 5a.

Texas...probably if you give it shade in the hottest part of the day and water it when dry.
jjordan
Arkansas City, KS

July 11, 2010
4:54 PM

Post #7960933

I have been growing 2 varieties of Hardy Hibiscus here in southern Kansas for 7 years now and they have done well. Since mine are in full sun all day, the leaves do wilt on the really hot days--in the mid to high 90's---but then perk back up when they are no longer exposed to the sunlight in the evening. Also, on the hotter days, the flower blooms also droop in the heat of the afternoon. In spite of that wilting, they continue to do well overall. They are fantastic plants. I had a yard sale 2 days ago and had several people comment and ask me about them---especially the red one which has been blooming profusely.
emtsss1950
Toledo, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2010
7:27 AM

Post #8044917

Our hardy hibiscus is about 3 years old - we have two, one white and one a beautiful burgundy color. But suddenly this summer, now mid-August, it has stopped blooming and many leaves look like lace.
What can we do to return it to health?
catherine02116
Northbridge, MA

September 18, 2010
7:26 PM

Post #8106748

emtsss1950, Your description sounds as tho insects have been munching on the leaves----probably Japanese Beetles. I have had good success with Bayer Rose & Flower Insecticide containing the active ingredient imidacloprid.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Hardy Hibiscus--Hardier Than You Think Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Good Article oriole 31 May 27, 2008 12:37 AM
HARDIER THAN YOU THINK rickhead 1 Feb 11, 2008 1:29 PM
I love them too! suefalls 2 Feb 12, 2008 4:13 AM
I think they are wonderful tina61 1 Feb 11, 2008 9:32 PM
Hardee Hibiscus karen_cajun 5 Jun 28, 2010 8:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America