Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Water Gardens: Type of salt to be used in pond

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 4, Views: 36
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
epazota
Lakeland, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 28, 2010
8:13 PM

Post #7929300

We have a 15,000 gallon pond which we have enjoyed for 5 years. I find that if I keep the salinity in the pond to about 1% the fish are happy and it does not bother the plants. I have purchased aquarium salt in 50 pound quanities in the past. DH and I were discussing other options for salt. Does anyone know if other forms of salt can be used? We are thinking water softner salt that comes in a block, pool salt or table salt or other options...
Appreciate the input.
Epazota
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 29, 2010
1:48 AM

Post #7929573

I have heard where others use the salt for water softeners, myself, I use pickling salt. You don't want the salt you put into your pond to have any iodine in it.

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

June 29, 2010
3:21 AM

Post #7929606

I used to use pond salt which is pricey, then salt with out iodine but now i use the blue bag solar salt because they are very cheap because they come 50 lbs. Happy ponding!!! Belle
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 29, 2010
9:32 AM

Post #7930389

I use normal water softner salt (from Lowes or WalMart, etc) Make sure the one you buy is ONLY salt, they carry several different varieties (some to keep you water softener clean, etc)
Our Lowes carries the Morton Salt brand (just like salt shakers) but in 40 lb bags for around $6. It's an aqua colored bag.

epazota
Lakeland, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 29, 2010
5:01 PM

Post #7931295

Thank you for your responses. I do not think I will be paying $$$$ for aquarium salt anymore. Isn't ponding great! It is one of the pleasures of summer.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America