Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Tulip Poplar and Japanese Magnolia-yellowing/dropping leaves

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 3, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cebearden
Gulfport, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 29, 2010
5:37 AM

Post #7929790

Ok, there has to be someone out there who can help! Short of sending a soil sample off to MSU for analysis does anyone have suggestions as to WHAT might be causing my tulip poplar and Japanese Magnolia to suffer from "failure to thrive?" I appreciate any suggestions ANYONE can offer!

Clark B.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 29, 2010
6:22 AM

Post #7929893

Can you post some pictures? Also a little more information would help--are these trees that are fairly new (planted this year or last year), or have they been around for a while? If they've been around for a number of years, have they been doing this every year or is this a new thing? What are the conditions they're in (sun/shade, etc)?

In the absence of any other information, I'd suggest checking your watering--yellowing/dropping leaves can be a sign of either too much or too little water.
imzadi
Jackson, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 29, 2010
7:17 AM

Post #7930036

tulip trees like water and some shade. all the ones i have ever seen here are by lakes or streams and in the tree lines. I have one in full sun in my yard and its not happy. struggles. gotta give it plenty of water. It prefers deep, rich, and rather moist soil; not soggy if new will shed a few leaves.

mag can be water issues or sun issues too. they are more morning sun after noon shade or late day sun. treat just like a regular mag. I struggled with one for a year got off moms property due to renovations like them but not an easy thing to grow. i lost it during winter but today saw a small sprout at the bottom., so we will see.

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2010
10:22 AM

Post #7938049

Tulip poplars have a natural tendency for leaves to yellow and fall this time of year. It is nothing to worry about.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America