Tulip Poplar and Japanese Magnolia-yellowing/dropping leaves

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8b)

Ok, there has to be someone out there who can help! Short of sending a soil sample off to MSU for analysis does anyone have suggestions as to WHAT might be causing my tulip poplar and Japanese Magnolia to suffer from "failure to thrive?" I appreciate any suggestions ANYONE can offer!

Clark B.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Can you post some pictures? Also a little more information would help--are these trees that are fairly new (planted this year or last year), or have they been around for a while? If they've been around for a number of years, have they been doing this every year or is this a new thing? What are the conditions they're in (sun/shade, etc)?

In the absence of any other information, I'd suggest checking your watering--yellowing/dropping leaves can be a sign of either too much or too little water.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

tulip trees like water and some shade. all the ones i have ever seen here are by lakes or streams and in the tree lines. I have one in full sun in my yard and its not happy. struggles. gotta give it plenty of water. It prefers deep, rich, and rather moist soil; not soggy if new will shed a few leaves.

mag can be water issues or sun issues too. they are more morning sun after noon shade or late day sun. treat just like a regular mag. I struggled with one for a year got off moms property due to renovations like them but not an easy thing to grow. i lost it during winter but today saw a small sprout at the bottom., so we will see.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Tulip poplars have a natural tendency for leaves to yellow and fall this time of year. It is nothing to worry about.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.