Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Weeds We Don't Want: Honeyvine Milkweed: I now have a name!

Communities > Forums > Article: Weeds We Don't Want: Honeyvine Milkweed
bookmark
Forum: Article: Weeds We Don't Want: Honeyvine MilkweedReplies: 1, Views: 25
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
katrn
Elk City, OK

June 29, 2010
9:17 AM

Post #7930353

I have had this plan in my yard for the last 2-3 years. I think it came over from the neighbors yard. luckily if i let it poke its head taller than my grass it is easy to see. like you said you have to check your yard and beds every other day, it just seems to shoot up from nowhere.
AubreyJamesShepherd
Fayetteville, AR

December 18, 2011
12:36 PM

Post #8934456

Katrn, I hope you begin to allow this important source of food for monarch caterpillars to have a place on your property. Once the caterpillars clean off its leaves and go find a woody stem to form a chrysalis from which they'll emerge to spread their wings and fly south to Mexico, you can cut off the stems at the ground. They arise from roots in spring. The secret is to encourage them where they can climb a fence or shrub or tree or put up a TALL trellis for them. Otherwise the isolated ones will never flower or produce much foliage for the monarch caterpillars.
Fayetteville, Arkansas, is encouraging homeowners and even commercial and industrial sites to make their property eligible for certification by the National Wildlife Federation in order to be an official urban-wildlife habitat community.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Weeds We Don't Want: Honeyvine Milkweed Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Interesting marti001 1 Dec 18, 2011 1:33 PM
Finally.. Caedi25 0 Jun 28, 2010 7:47 AM
broadcasting fertilizer f/outdoor bloom Sicilia 1 Jun 28, 2010 1:55 PM
"Weeds" Versus "Plants" NordicFletch 2 Jun 29, 2010 4:25 PM
Thanks for the article kento 0 Jun 28, 2010 5:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America