Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
grits74571
Talihina, OK

June 29, 2010
6:42 PM

Post #7931624

All of my coneflowers were grown from seed that was given to me ,now after several years of struggles I now have 4 planters that are doing way better than I had ever hoped for ..Now for the question when and how do I devide the bunches and how do I know if they are getting over crowded..They are so pretty I do not want for anything bad to happen to them

Thumbnail by grits74571
Click the image for an enlarged view.

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 29, 2010
8:20 PM

Post #7931890

Boy of boy are they gorgeous. I'd be afraid to divide them. I've never divided any of mine so I better let someone else answer for you.
ayah
Boston, MA

June 30, 2010
3:03 PM

Post #7933616

I had a 3 year old plant that I bought in 2007 in a gallon pot. I had to divide last it year because it was dying out in the middle. When I dug it up, the root ball was so big I could hardly carry it. I just seperated the ball roots away from the woody center and planted each of the part that was left. I will tell you, last year it did not get very big at all and I actually thought it had died. But, this year, the plant is as tall as ever and blooming like crazy. Here is a picture of that plant this year. It is just an ordinary pink color, none of the newer named varieties. That is Hot Lava in the front and not sure what the white cone in the front is.

Thumbnail by ayah

echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

June 30, 2010
3:08 PM

Post #7933620

Here's an article telling how to do it. Early Spring or Late Fall!

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-divide-a-coneflower

grits74571
Talihina, OK

June 30, 2010
4:05 PM

Post #7933736

Thanks all and another question my coneflowers are covered with a butterfly or moth and I have no clue what it might be ..For sure not harming the echies but I don't want to be harboring some bad garden pest ..so here is a pic please help or point me in the right direction...

Thumbnail by grits74571

grits74571
Talihina, OK

June 30, 2010
4:11 PM

Post #7933752

Just read the article on dividing coneflowers mine should be really simple as they are all grown in raised beds which for the coneflowers have wooden bottums as protection from gophers and other burrowing critters...
ayah
Boston, MA

June 30, 2010
5:50 PM

Post #7934030

I have no idea what that is, perhaps someone here will know.
ayah
Boston, MA

June 30, 2010
5:52 PM

Post #7934034

I did everything the article said, except, I did not cut back the roots. That could be why it did not do so good last year. Good to learn new things.
killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 30, 2010
7:13 PM

Post #7934251

Grits, those coneflowers are spectacular! Tell us your secret, please? Mine aren't growing near that well. :-(
grits74571
Talihina, OK

July 1, 2010
9:33 AM

Post #7935556

After years of struggle I am entitled LOL The secret for me was the raised beds it seems to keep their feet dry and therefore the roots don't rot ..Has been very dry in my location but some years we get too much summer rain ..Never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine coneflowers like these ...about the only fertilizer they get is some Alfala tea every couple of weeks ,,,Have 4 of the wooden planters filled with all the same color ,that is the only color I have ...
killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2010
10:20 AM

Post #7935621

Thanks, Grits. I have started planting everything on raised beds/berms for a little over a year now. I might have to try some of that alfalfa tea. I am hoping next year will be awesome. My E. tennesseensis are doing the best of all of mine this year.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

July 3, 2010
5:14 PM

Post #7941102

Most of my planters are of the hexagon shaped variety made of treated wood ,lately I have used a few made from plastic barrels that I cut into with a simple skill saw which will make 3 planters they adapt quite well to any color with cheap latex paint .If I cared more for the estetic look would be very easy to build a simple wooden cover up ...Now for a little extra one planter I place in the garden for tomatoes and cut 4 circular holes in the bottum with a hole saw taking out a plug of dirt along with the plastic from the barrel,then removed the barrel and dug 4 holes corresponding to the hole left by the hole saw..These holes were 6" deep and into those I put tomato plants and cover with soil then placed the barrel back over them and filled with a compost/soil mix up to the very top leaves of the plants..so far they sre producing some what less than I hoped as compared to my Early Girls that had a 5 week head start on the newest members..
UncleGreenthumb
New Matamoras, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2010
6:46 PM

Post #7946067

Grits;,
Those little butterflies on your blooms are skippers..

Nice pictures, and beautiful blooms...

Dave

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Coneflowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Did You go Cone Crazy? MollyMc 560 Jun 4, 2010 8:05 PM
Welcome to the Coneflowers Discussion Forum dave 17 Aug 28, 2007 9:38 PM
Shortest Coneflowers? cedarnest 60 Jun 4, 2008 6:00 PM
Is Rudbeckia hirta Considered a Coneflower? claypa 4 Jan 26, 2009 8:59 PM
Staking Coneflowers rosethyme 28 Jun 30, 2011 10:25 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America