Summer 2010 Annual Flower Photos

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

I thought I'd start a thread for all of us to post and share our "Summer 2010" annual flower photos with each other. We all grow some unique, different, and perhaps, not so common flowers. Feel free to post some of your favorites here. It's always nice to try something different each year and this would be a great way to give each other ideas for the future.

These are Lisianthus "ABC Blue Rim" & "ABC Green" blooming this morning.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore

These are "Double Extreme Mix" Dahlias. The seed pack was purchased from Thompson & Morgan. Only have one other Dahlia growing from this seed pack and it's a double white colored bloom.

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Very nice!

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Tansy grown from seed 2 years ago. T&M seeds freebie.

Edited to add: Great idea for a thread Jon. I've never tried either of your lovelies from seed, but am thinking that I should:)

This message was edited Jun 30, 2010 2:41 PM

Thumbnail by tggfisk

Those are neat Bev. I just get bored growing the same ole same ole, every year. Like to try something new/different each year to keep things interesting. Thought it would be a good idea to share pictures of "different" things so we all get an accurate feeling for what a flower will look like. They all don't look like the photos we see in catalogs when we grow them ourselves.

This is a 2010 All American Selections bedding plant award winner. It's zinnia "Double Zahara Fire". Very easy to grow from seed. Seems to have high disease resistance and branches out nicely on its own. Grows to about 12" in height.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Took this photo today of an annual spreading phlox, grown from seed named "21st Century Blue Star". A bit surprised its still alive in our South Florida summer heat. Perhaps it's because it's on the east side of the house and gets morning only sun.

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here some petunias

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

This container bed ended up with a lot of pink & purple

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here's a yard shot

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Another yard shot

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

oops wrong picture

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Everything is about 3 weeks behind (cold & wet)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

still moving annuals into the front yard. The roses are budded, so there isn't much colour yet

Everything looks nice Joanne. Hopefully it will warm up sometime soon so things can catch up. Last thing you want is a cool summer to shorten the blooming season. Wish I could send you some of our heat. The hottest May & June on record.

Pretoria, South Africa

Jon,

I just love your Lisianthus and Dahlias...

Elsa

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here's a shot from the kitchen window

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Another angle

Thanks much Elsa. Looks great Joanne. Show us a flower picture of something completely new to you this year that you're quite fond of.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Annual poppies

Thumbnail by ge1836

Nice poppies. Do you have any recommendations for quick maturing annual poppies that you like? It's too hot, and out of zone, for perennial poppies down here. A quick maturing annual type would be something that can be grown here during the cooler winter months.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

My first thought is they might not germinate where you are.Annual poppies are sown in the winter here and need the freezing of winter to help germination. If there are Fla. people who can say otherwise please wade in.

I planted California poppy seeds two winters ago. Don't think I started them early enough. I'm guessing I planted them in January, they grew fine but died back in May when it starts getting very hot and humid. I haven't tried any others since then. Did buy "Icelandic Poppy" plants down here in February and they bloomed and did fine until mid May. Am going to try those from seed this fall, but always open to other recommendations. The seeds will remain in the refrigerator until they're sewn.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

A cool petunia. Don't know which it is, but it's bright.

Thumbnail by tggfisk
Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Wintersown portulaca just keeps getting better and better. I am loving these this year.

Thumbnail by tggfisk
Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

And one that has mixed well with others. Bachelor's Button Black Ball.
Great pics, y'all!

Thumbnail by tggfisk

Nice photos Bev. I was just looking at Portulaca plants earlier this afternoon at a local nursery. They had the large flower size "Giant Series" Portulaca which has always been my favorite. I think my favorite, in that series, is "Giant Bicolour Radiance". It is a white & pink bicolor Portulaca with 2-3" blooms.

(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

Everybody, fantastic blooms!
Elsa, good to see you!
Jon! Thanks for a this thread! I was thinking about where I would upload this picture, a cerinthe,

Thumbnail by DMgardener

Nice Shrimp Plant Daniel. We needed a thread for our unusual/not so common plants.

Here's a photo, from this rainy afternoon, of something different. This is Exacum "Navy Star". A tropical/subtropical flowering plant from Sri Lanka.

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Those are unusual gentlemen:) Jon, did you purchase that or grow it from seed? Nice blue. And Daniel that's a plant that I've thought about trying. Love the close up.

Here's a surprise-although not uncommon-that I found today. Don't remember sowing or planting this out...hence the surprise. A welcome surprise.

Thumbnail by tggfisk
Pretoria, South Africa

Jon, I just love the blue of your Exacum "Navy Star".

Daniel, my cerinthe got pulled by the gardener while cleaning the bed from lamium. I just love the little flowers... (I'm always lurking on DG. I need a fix on a very regular basis, especially now, with it being cold, and uninspiring...)

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Good new thread idea.I'll start one for unusual annuals.

Thanks Elsa. I purchased the Exacum plant locally. It was part of a red, white and blue mixed container planting. Ir took a couple of days to figure out what it was, since it wasn't labeled...of course.

That "surprise" gaillardia looks like it could be a seedling from several different ones. Gaillardias "Frenzy", "Tizzy" and "Fanfare" are the first ones that come to mind.

(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

HAPPY INDEPENDANCE DAY EVERYONE!!!!

Thanks Jon! How do you pronouce Exacum? The flowers look a bit like potato flowers (ooh must dig those up).

Bev, thanks! I like your Galliardia! This Fall, we must trade for that! I had a echin that had one petel fluted.

Elsa, you have a gardener? What did you do when he pulled out your "shrimp plant"? They took half of forever to germ, then another forever to grow to flowering size, 3 months altogether. How long did your's take to bloom in S Africa? I have lamium everywhere in March/April, but I usually leave it alone. Is your's purple/pink too? I wish it was cold here!

I am unloading my pix cd now. Here is something good,

~Daniel

Thumbnail by DMgardener

I'm assuming you pronounce Exacum the way it looks, but I'm not sure. When I googled Exacum "Navy Star" I only found 2 links referring to it. One was a link to the local grower in South Florida and the other was a picture someone in Japan posted of it. It comes from the same plant family as Persian Violets and Lisianthus/Eustoma.

Took this photo of Gaillardia "Grape Sensati" this evening. It's a bit waterlogged from today's rain. Nice, but small blooms, on a somewhat wildly growing plant. It grows upright but it likes to sprawl.

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

This is a new verbena called white empress

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

This is starlight zinnia

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I bought this dragonwing begonia the other day.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

This year I tried waxed begonias in a bag

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I also did a bag of purple calibrachoa

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images