Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
modal
Columbia City, IN

June 30, 2010
10:22 AM

Post #7933060

I ran across a very good smelling version of this plant in West Lafayette, Indiana, growing up a garage trellis. Tried to move it to my farm. Two problems. One, it doesn't seem to compete well with other species. Two, it has some cold sensitivity, roughly zone 5.
AubreyJamesShepherd
Fayetteville, AR

December 18, 2011
12:21 PM

Post #8934445

Please see my item on honeyvine milkweed. Your experience is quite believable. It surely comes back each spring there as long as its roots are killed or removed. It fits well with other native species but can't compete with Japanese honeysuckle and such invasive plants. My interest is supporting native bees, butterflies and other pollinators. Climbing species of milkweed do that quite well. They just don't provide a year-round windbreak or visual buffer the way the invasive, nonnative vines do. And they do NOT strangle woody stemmed plants in Northwest Arkansas.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Weeds We Don't Want: Honeyvine Milkweed Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Interesting marti001 1 Dec 18, 2011 1:33 PM
Finally.. Caedi25 0 Jun 28, 2010 7:47 AM
broadcasting fertilizer f/outdoor bloom Sicilia 1 Jun 28, 2010 1:55 PM
"Weeds" Versus "Plants" NordicFletch 2 Jun 29, 2010 4:25 PM
Thanks for the article kento 0 Jun 28, 2010 5:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America