Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Herbs: Spilanthes aka eyeball plant or toothache plant info please?

Communities > Forums > Herbs
bookmark
Forum: HerbsReplies: 6, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 1, 2010
8:17 PM

Post #7936796

I recently picked one of these up while in a cool small rural GH. I had read about them and knew I needed one of them.

I know it is an annual and should provide seeds for future plantings. I am curious if the eyeball fades as the seeds develop and am also looking for any information on seed saving for this plant.

I haven't nibbled on it yet to savour the numbing effects but find the plant charming. Please share your knowledge or experiences...

Thumbnail by podster
Click the image for an enlarged view.

herbalbetty
Middleburgh, NY

July 2, 2010
3:38 AM

Post #7937177

Podster, spilanthes is cool, isn't it? I find that the entire "eyeball" fades slightly as they are ripe. But, I have picked them not faded when frost gets here too quickly and they seem to be fine for seed saving. Not only will your mouth go numb after you chew on a leaf, but you will start to drool too. Kinda funny when a visitor to the garden nibbles some not knowing the effects.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 2, 2010
4:55 AM

Post #7937259

LOL I haven't 'braved' it yet. I had read about it and will nibble when I am all alone or else someone will want to commit this old heifer to the old folks home.

If I recall reading an earlier post, wasn't it you that used it to numb the gums on a teething baby? I love plants like this that are fun and useful and I really enjoy introducing someone new to the tastes, fragrances and sensations of herbal plants. This one will be great fun.

Glad to know the eyeball fades with age as that is happening with the blooms. I was worried if my lack of proper care was the cause. Is germination easy?
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

July 2, 2010
7:04 AM

Post #7937547

Way cool plant. I, too, must have one. The local search is on. If not this season, for sure seeds for next. I especially like the drooling part.
herbalbetty
Middleburgh, NY

July 2, 2010
1:34 PM

Post #7938391

Yup, Pod, it works well for teething babies. But, just a little dab for them. I also make tincture of it and have it handy for people who have a toothache, but can't get to the dentist until the next day. Rubbed on the worrisome tooth and gums, it works great.
edgeoftheworld
Conneaut, OH
(Zone 5a)

July 2, 2010
3:45 PM

Post #7938643

Harvest seed from dried pods.Grows easily from seed.I start mine under lights in April.Plant out at the end of May in zone 5.Its been many years ago I bought the plant.Regrow new plants every year from seed.Edge
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 2, 2010
4:25 PM

Post #7938711

Excellent information ~ thank you. Unless I miss my guess, there should be ample seed from each bloom...

Amazing though, there is not much information out there on this and it is usually sold as an annual rather than herbal.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America