Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Saving Seeds: Gloriosa lily seeds

Communities > Forums > Saving Seeds
bookmark
Forum: Saving SeedsReplies: 4, Views: 19
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 2, 2010
5:37 AM

Post #7937328

I've got seed catchers on my gloriosa lily's as well as some other's...we've had alot of yesterday afternoon evening, and supposed to rain most of today. The pods are mature yet, but I'm wondering if being wet will be a problem. I use the little mesh "wedding favor" bags with drawstring ties on them to as seed catchers.
mj
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

July 2, 2010
7:16 AM

Post #7937577

If the seeds are ripe, you'd better take the seed catchers away. Shake the water off and put the seed catchers in open paper bags to dry on a sunny place.
If you leave the seed catchers on the plant, the seeds may become mouldy because they are all together.

Jonna

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 2, 2010
7:51 AM

Post #7937655

I don't think they are really ripe yet...just didn't want to take the chance of me forgetting to go look at them every day...I've got a lot growing and don't always remember to get back to check for seeds. I'll have to put the catchers off and look ...
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

July 2, 2010
11:49 AM

Post #7938209

Well, if the catchers are not too full, it's no problem when it's raining for some time if the seed is not ripe yet. But if the seedpods are all together in a small catcher, they will get mouldy because there is no good air circulation.
If it are seeds you really want to harvest, shake the catchers after every rain. In other cases, leave the catchers on the plant and see what happens. Some seeds are more sensitive to get mouldy than others.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 2, 2010
11:58 AM

Post #7938226

I checked them and only one pod was about to open so I took that one. the others aren't open yet. I'll just have to check them every day and try to catch them just as they open as we're supposed to have rain every day for the next few days. Looks like there were just 3 seeds in this first pod.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America