-
AuthorContent
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 2, 2010
3:31 PM

Post #7938624

In Oklahoma this is our state wild flower, you can see them growing free everywhere on the road sides.

gwen21

gwen21
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2010
5:35 PM

Post #7938826

I've never seen Indian paintbrush growing in the wild (I'm an Illinois girl, where our prairies have lots of milkweed, Queen Anne's lace and chicory). I'll bet a field full of them is a lovely sight.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2010
5:46 PM

Post #7938843

(But chicory and QAL are both from Europe, I believe.) Lovely article!

gwen21

gwen21
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2010
6:49 PM

Post #7938981

Oh, you're so right, Carrie. I just named them because they're all over the place and I've always liked them, but they no doubt qualify as invasives! Well, let's see, I should have mentioned wild garlic and onion, aster, black-eyed Susan, coneflower, liatris and goldenrod instead...
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

July 5, 2010
6:03 AM

Post #7944221

Indian Blanket, otherwise known as Gaillardia Pullchela, is the state wildflower in Oklahoma and has been since the 1980's. However, both Indian Paintbrush and Indian Blanket, as well as Wine Cups (sometimes called Cowboy Roses), Black Eyed Susans, Blue Eyed Grass, and a host of other wildflowers (see http://www.okprairie.com/Flowers.htm ) grow in abundance here.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Wildflowers of the "Little House" Books Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lovely Article. frostweed 1 Jul 2, 2010 8:01 AM
great article jazzy1okc 1 Jul 5, 2010 7:40 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America