Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Home Decorating: twin beds pushed together, need headboard idea

Communities > Forums > Home Decorating
bookmark
Forum: Home DecoratingReplies: 6, Views: 80
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

July 2, 2010
5:14 PM

Post #7938788

Hello, I have 2 extra long twin beds pushed together to make one big bed. I need a headboard, but it can't be too high or it blocks the windows. I've thought of making one but can't hang it on the wall, it would have to be hooked to the bed somehow.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Cathy4
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

July 31, 2010
4:12 PM

Post #8009469

May I ask why you can't hang it on the wall?
If it is a weight issue - lightweight headboards can be made
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2010
5:03 PM

Post #8009575

Hi, ours is an older house made for double beds, so our 2 beds together only fit in front of the windows that come to a foot above the beds. I don't mind blocking the window a bit.

C
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

July 31, 2010
5:48 PM

Post #8009657

could you create a frame that is as wide as the two beds pushed together minus 1 inch on each side and about 10 inches tall ... staple a fabric to it and hang. light as a feather (almost) one layer of batting would 'plush' it up a tad.

check out Etsy.com Mariescosycushions

and then look at the hanging wall art in her 'shop'

http://www.etsy.com/shop/MARIESCOSYCUSHIONS?section_id=5497816

You could also stretch fabric over a grouping of three or five (space wider for the three obviously) 8 x 8 or similiar wooden panels (Homedept can cut for you into exact size. make out of very thin plywood or any thin wood. Bet you can even use foamboard and hang those (very lightweight) and you can slightly pad them for thickness. There are also decals including adhesive fabric decals on etsy.
Lots of fabric design ideas on etsy and you can even buy the fabric there. You can go to the alchemy section and ask for bids on the project --tell them you want to spend 10 or less on each 'panel' or 15 or whatever you can afford. You will get bidders.

Right now Michaels has these perfect wooden (clean clean no splinters smooth finished wood) crates for 5 dollars !! very light colored wood. Not rough at all - no knots - clear light wood. Can be painted or stained. Can screw a few into the wall and double as bookcase or holder for lamps, clocks etc.

If you have a feel for 'whimsy' you can get a string of wall pennants (? spelling) beautiful fabrics - usually run about 20 dollars for six feet - grown up fabrics etc. Run from maybe 4 inches long to the point of the triangle and I have seen them as long as 8 inches.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

July 31, 2010
5:56 PM

Post #8009669

Or you can purchase a decorative (or plain) molding and attach to the wall in a long rectangle or a group of squares and paint the inside, wall paper the inside, fabric the inside, glue buttons inside, old jewelry, clock faces, ...whatever.. use the molding as the 'framing.' Old black and white photos of you as a child -- all same size...same frame... hang in a row. I actually think that small space that you have lends itself to more easy options than a larger wall would. Post a photo of whatever you decide.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2010
6:06 PM

Post #8009685

wow, lots of ideas! thanks, I'll have to ponder awhile.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

July 31, 2010
7:08 PM

Post #8009853

Go to the Etsy.com site - you will like it. And like I said if you are handy, you can create your own headboard, but if not you can put the job out for 'bid.'

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Decorating Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Mexican theme, not for the faint of heart MollyMc 57 Jan 4, 2008 3:14 AM
Kitchen Makeover......There's no turning back now!! nminmd 163 Jul 31, 2007 1:21 AM
Removing Wallpaper GrannyLois 30 Aug 18, 2009 11:32 PM
Bedroom re-do Terry 42 Aug 16, 2014 11:12 PM
Re-do on the bedroom. What a difference! Badseed 45 Jan 23, 2009 6:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America