Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Peppers: Gypsy

Communities > Forums > Peppers
bookmark
Forum: PeppersReplies: 6, Views: 112
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2010
6:55 PM

Post #7941314

I've just gotta say something nice about Gypsy peppers again, and it's not for the first time.

I've always had trouble growing bell peppers. I'd harvest a few every year, but no heavy production and the plants seemed to get various diseases. Here at Dave's Garden I read critterologist's article about non-bell sweet peppers and started growing those instead of bells.

For three seasons I grew all different varieties of non-bell sweet peppers - Carmen, Flexum, Sweet Spot, Gypsy, and others I can't remember. They were ALL good, and much more productive than bell peppers for me. Each season, though, Gypsy outshined the rest with heavy continuous production, large size, and great flavor (especially when red and ripe). Also, Gypsy is so large and wide they're good for stuffing, just like bell peppers.

This year I'm growing all Gypsy peppers except for four Sweet Pickle plants and one Holy Mole plant that replaced a Gypsy killed by a mole. The ONLY problem I've had with Gypsy isn't a problem - they bear so heavy I have to support them with small tomato cages or the weight of the peppers will break branches off! Here's what mine look like today.

Thumbnail by Ozark
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Ray_Der_Phan

Ray_Der_Phan
Oceanside, CA
(Zone 10a)

July 3, 2010
9:18 PM

Post #7941645

Love these peppers. First time growing them. It was your pic last year(I think it was yours) of the counter filled of Gypsy peppers that got me to try them. They are everything you say, if not more. I'm only growing 6 this year but they are doing really well. Loaded with good sized peppers, and yes they definitely need to be staked or caged. Picked 2 ripe ones today. Most are turning color and will be ready soon.

Thumbnail by Ray_Der_Phan
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2010
5:44 AM

Post #7942093

Planted 8 different pepper varieties simultaneously. Gypsy were the first to bear fruit (couldn't resist and picked some last week while they were still green) followed shortly by Anaheim.
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 4, 2010
8:17 AM

Post #7942408

Ok, boys! Now I really am jealous. I can hold my own with tomatoes, but can't seem to grow a pepper. I did outfox the odds with my hot peppers this year, though. I over-wintered them in the sunroom, and they are going great guns!!! (That should earn me some points since my "new" boss LOVES hot peppers and can't grow them since he sold his place upstate. Yes, yes I am a brown-nose, and quite proud of it!)

Gypsy will definitely be on my next seed-shopping list!

PS - That's some nice pickin's ya got there my little Asian son. Too bad the SoCal prices are so high or Mamma'd be moving in next door!

Ray_Der_Phan

Ray_Der_Phan
Oceanside, CA
(Zone 10a)

July 4, 2010
9:50 AM

Post #7942564

Making a Denver Omelet with them this morning.

[quote="Sequee"]PS - That's some nice pickin's ya got there my little Asian son. Too bad the SoCal prices are so high or Mamma'd be moving in next door![/quote]

But Momma, I hear NY is one if not the most expensive places to live. Or is that just NY city?

Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 4, 2010
10:12 AM

Post #7942604

In all honesty, we'd probably win that one. Taxes are ridiculous, property values are out-of-this-world, and gasoline prices are up again - for the summer travelers. Sheesh...

HOWEVER...I have a good paying job here. In CA I'd be starting out all over again, at 60. My friends in San Clemente keep telling me not to be such a chicken, but...cluck, cluck, cluck!
paracelsus
Elmira, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2010
4:36 PM

Post #7943313

Well, I am the odd man out, because I have had no luck with Gypsy. I can't even get them to germinate. I have about 20 pepper plants this year, quite a few less than last. I always grow non-bell sweets and some hots. But last year I tried Bull Nose, which is a primitive bell, I guess you could call it--an heirloom grown by Jefferson, etc. That thing just produced like crazy for me last year. And this year it is growing at about 3 times the rate of my other peppers. I deliberately started a bunch of them. I never thought I would grow any bell. They just can't compete in terms of taste, IMO, with a pimento. But Bull Nose is excellent. Thick and sweet. That seed got saved for a darn good reason.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper Tplant 117 Apr 3, 2008 12:24 AM
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them? Breezymeadow 21 Mar 20, 2008 2:58 AM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America