Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kathfitts
Mentor, OH

July 4, 2010
6:46 PM

Post #7943569

My Dahlia's are coming up and the Japanese Beetles are in the flowers. I don't know what to do. I am afraid to spray them with anything. Thank you so much.

Kathlleen
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 4, 2010
6:53 PM

Post #7943580

We have the Japanese beetles here as well and I don't know of anything that kills them without hurting the blooms. With roses I just cut them back by a foot and remove every rose so they have nothing on which to feast and I guess all you could do is cut off the dahlias, try your best to knock off and kill the beetles, and keep the dahlias outside in case there's one hidden in between the petals.
todgor
West Caldwell, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 7, 2010
6:24 AM

Post #7949293

I spray with Spinosad, don't know if it helps with those monsters, but it kills a lot of chewing pests, and its organic. The saving grace is that the little jerks are mostly around for only 3 weeks, as opposed to longer term pests. If they are local, using milky spore or watering in nematodes in the ground before they emerge from the soil can get rid of them. That has to be done in Spring though. If you have an area far away from your valuable plants, a bait trap can divert them and kill them. But don't put it around your plants as it will be JB central.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Dahlias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dahliettas, gallery dahlias, jackpot dahlias Lenjo 12 Mar 7, 2013 6:27 PM
Dahlias and black walnut hart 17 May 16, 2008 10:37 PM
Will the real Edinburgh please stand up? mvespa 19 Apr 17, 2007 8:44 AM
NO H20 - Candy says "Hi!" Please say Hi back Poochella 11 Oct 12, 2009 12:13 AM
Do ya really really have to dig them? WayehMalamutes 18 Apr 14, 2008 6:30 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America