Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Saving Seeds: Yucca seeds

Communities > Forums > Saving Seeds
bookmark
Forum: Saving SeedsReplies: 1, Views: 24
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
geneso
Seattle, WA

July 5, 2010
7:17 AM

Post #7944402

Hello,

I have Yuccas on my property and note they have been flowering and growing seed pods for the last month. Being newly retired to northern New Mexico, I want to spread them out on my property, especially along the road leading to the house. I also want to share these seeds with friends of mine back in Seattle, who are members of the Cactus Society there..

So, I am asking for specific directions not only in collecting, but preserving and starting plants from seed for the Yucca Glauca, the bayonet Yucca . I have been told this is simple. There is a right and wrong to simple; and I want to collect, preserve and propogate these plants correctly!
Thanks,

Geneso
AmyMorie
Green Cove Springs, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2010
11:00 AM

Post #7980805

collect the seeds when the pods begin to drop. I've read that yuccas can take up to 1 year to germinate from seed (!)

There is a very detailed and well documented growing from seed guide here:
http://www.bennyskaktus.dk/propagat_UK.htm#yucca_seed

keep us posted on how this goes for you... I'm interested in trying some of the natives here in Florida

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America