Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Spiderwort Hybrids - Tradescantia X andersoniana: Watch out for Concord Grape

Communities > Forums > Article: Spiderwort Hybrids - Tradescantia X andersoniana
bookmark
Forum: Article: Spiderwort Hybrids - Tradescantia X andersonianaReplies: 4, Views: 57
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dawnsharon2001
New York, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2010
7:29 AM

Post #7944438

I love "Snowcap" and "Blue Stone". "Zwanenburg Blue" runs a bit darker than "Blue Stone", and they look good together. I have seedlings in pure white, mid-blue, and the "Osprey"-like pattern of white petals, blue stamens.

But I also bought "Concord Grape", and it shows up everywhere in the garden. I can't quite bear to pull it out when it's blooming, but that's the only time I know for sure which it is. I haven't figured out how to solve that little Catch-22, because Tradescantia doesn't work as a cut flower; if I don't want to discard the blooms, I have to spare the plant.

In general, I seem to have a lot more magenta in my garden than I remember ever buying...
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2010
5:14 PM

Post #7953527

Concord Grape does not seem to have self-seeded in my garden...its the Zwanenburg Blue that does most of the seeding...or perhaps the other hybrids are simply reverting to blue.
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

September 3, 2012
4:30 AM

Post #9263032

Great article. When Granny Lois gave me one at one of the first Roundups and the next year it gave me the prettiest plant I had ever seen I was just singing praises for it everytime I walked outside. A couple of years later it had taken over my yard. I can't get rid of it. It spreads from the roots and also from seeds. I think the one I have is Concord Blue but I'm not sure. A love hate relationship.
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

September 5, 2012
4:29 AM

Post #9265470

I must have planted my Zwanenburg Blue tradescantia in just the right place. It receives about four hours of sun each day, is shaded from the harsh late afternoon sun, and hasn't spread at all. However, it blooms like crazy! I have heard, though, that planting several differently colored plants close together will cause them all to revert to shades of blue. I've had that happen with four o'clocks. About ten years ago I planted yellow ones and orange ones. They apparently mixed with wild light pink ones I did not even know were growing in a far corner of the yard. Now I have light pink, coral, fushia, hot pink, and a very dark, almost red pink. I love the way both four o'clocks and tradescantia look in the early morning and late afternoon light. They just seem to glow with an inner light!
dawnsharon2001
New York, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9267941

Yes, I believe self-seeders will eventually be dominated by the most common color in the wild species. I do have some self-seeded blue Tradescantia, but there's one huge reddish-purple one that's overwhelming the white one next to it. Those four o'clocks sound beautiful. I haven't planted them in a while because I had heard that the seeds (such big, beautifully prominent seeds) are toxic. Does anyone know any more about them?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Spiderwort Hybrids - Tradescantia X andersoniana Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Memories Sharran 2 Mar 13, 2008 12:46 AM
Thank you! McGlory 10 Mar 19, 2008 10:07 PM
Biennial spiderwort?? mygardens 2 Jun 16, 2008 8:03 PM
Spiderwort gardengirl86 0 Sep 2, 2008 11:31 PM
Excellent article and photos! Thanks! JaniceLPN 0 Mar 30, 2010 2:24 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America