Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Carolina Gardening: Blueberries

Communities > Forums > Carolina Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Carolina GardeningReplies: 13, Views: 137
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 6, 2010
4:19 AM

Post #7946649

the Blueberries that line the drive are ripening faster than I can pick 'em this week...pulled two gallons off yesterday...anyone have any good Blueberry recipes please feel free to share!!

Thumbnail by rednyr
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Mountainbeauty
Clyde, NC

July 7, 2010
2:24 PM

Post #7950467

Well if you are a blueberry lover all year long, you can freeze them on a cookie sheet, with a layer of the non-stick aluminum foil, after they are picked over and washed. Then dump them into a freezer bag.

I have made blueberry-flavored rum for a friend for Christmas;
I have made blueberry/blackberry pancake syrup;
I have made blueberry/ banana bread;
I have added my wild blueberries to any berry pie recipe (cherry/blueberry is good)

You don't really have to make any real big adjustments to the regular recipes for quick breads, etc. Just add them in!! Of course if you like things sweet, be sure to add a little more sugar to balance the tartness of wild blueberries.
If any of these sound good to you, D-mail me!! Enjoy your berries!!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2010
3:03 PM

Post #7950538

This is very easy; I just made it with blueberries and peaches, and I melted the butter and poured it into the pan before putting the rest of the batter into it. I also cut down a bit on the sugar for the top:

Blueberry Cobbler - Most people will look at it, give it a taste, and deem it a cobbler ... but it's way easier to make than your typical cobbler!

Stir together In the order listed:

1 cup of Sugar
1 cup of Flour
1 Tablespoon of Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon of Salt
1 cup of milk
1 stick of real butter, melted.

Wisk all the above ingredients together till smooth, and pour into a buttered 3 quart pan or baking dish. Sprinkle 4 cups of blueberries (or mixed berries and other fruits; peaches work well) over the top of the batter. Make sure you distribute them evenly. Now sprinkle an additional 1/4 cup of sugar over the top.

Bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes or until golden.
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 8, 2010
6:46 AM

Post #7952013

I appreciate all the ideas! they all sound yummy - I've already started freezing them (exact same way you mention lol) Thanks again!

Deanna
yotedog
Raleigh, NC

July 10, 2010
7:32 PM

Post #7958620

Fresh blueberry pie!! Take about 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 2TB corn starch, a 1/4 tsp cinnamon and 3/4 cup water or juice/water mixed (any berry flavor juice works). Stir the dry ingredients together and get out any lumps. Add the water/juice and stir until well mixed. Heat over medium flame (continue stirring) until the mixture comes to a gentle boil. Boil a minute or two then cool. When the mixture is cooled, but not completely cool, add 1/2 tsp vanilla and about a pint of fresh blueberries and pour into a baked and cooled pie crust. Refrigerate. Top with ice cream, frozen yogurt or whipped cream if desired. Yum!

Ok, Deanna, so now, tell me your secret...How do you get any blueberries with the birds eating them? I never can...they get them all. I'm so jealous!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2010
4:38 AM

Post #7959184

You can drape bird netting over the plants and that stops 'em. Unfortunately it also makes it hard for you to pick the berries...
Mountainbeauty
Clyde, NC

July 11, 2010
11:31 AM

Post #7959999

"greenhouse_gal", you are right about the netting. They work, and they do make picking more difficult for humans. We have decided that we will "let" the birds have a portion.
However, we try to get out there every day to pick our share, too!
It's hard to get up before the birds, but, my husband has been squirting some with the garden hose, too. LOL
We usually end up with a couple gallons in the freezer by the end of the season. There is just the two of us, so that's enough for our cereal over winter.

Love those berries.
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 12, 2010
7:31 AM

Post #7962226

I have no clue why the birds leave them alone...hmm should I be worried about that? LOL picked another two gallons last Friday and will need to pick more tomorrow...trust me...I'm not complaining...having alot of fun being domestic right now...in between jobs with the new move to Sumter and am trying to hold off on returning to job searching once we are back from NY for my 30th HS re-union! Having alot of fun working in the yard...
Mountainbeauty
Clyde, NC

July 13, 2010
4:44 PM

Post #7966241

It is fun, isn't it.? Love picking berries.
OOo, I picked some Blackberries today when we were out cutting grass. Got one of those darn thorns stuck in my finger! Ouch. Took a few tries to get it out. That is one heck of a good defense that the berry canes have.

Still got some good berries, though. Yum. Gonna be gooood on my cereal.
yotedog
Raleigh, NC

July 13, 2010
7:06 PM

Post #7966545

Had Blackberry cobbler tonight, not to make anyone jealous...
Mountainbeauty
Clyde, NC

July 15, 2010
1:08 PM

Post #7970781

Yummmmm.
turttle
Chapel Hill, NC

July 24, 2010
5:58 PM

Post #7994128

Any advice on what type of blueberries would do best in Chapel Hill? My soil is clay filled with rocks, most of my land is wooded, although I have some edges that get a fair amount of sun. I have wild blueberries growing all over my property under the trees, but the berries are tiny, the yield miniscule, and I think the birds get them (which is why they keep spreading over my property!)
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2010
9:49 AM

Post #7998007

turttle - here is a link to some good info from NC Univ. on blueberry growing in your area... good luck! http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8207.html
turttle
Chapel Hill, NC

July 26, 2010
7:48 PM

Post #7999184

Thanks for the link!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America