a forum for irrigation

Seattle, WA

Hello,

I hope to generate some response so that DG develops a forum for irrigation. What topic would be more germane to gardening and a forum than this? In the Southwest alone, how many gardeners DO NOT have some from of drip irrigation, grey or black water usage?

I am seeking a forum for input by people with some experience and without a commercial interest, since I got two bids for 20% of my acreage and they varied by 47%. Since I want to do a drip system right the first time there have to be a significant amount of gardeners who would be interested in this topic, to the betterment of their gardens and fields.

Thank you,

Geneso

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

I know that I had a lot of questions when I was first setting up my drip irrigation system and I think a dedicated forum would be quite helpful.

Judging from the amount of articles from DG writers on the subject, I would definitely say it's an area of interest all across the country.

Marietta, MS(Zone 7b)

I agree, it would be a useful forum :)

ants

Spring, TX

I agree, it would be a great addition!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Good idea, Geneso. I would love to see a forum like that myself!

Kelly

Cochise, AZ(Zone 8b)

Me too! I think most of us do some form of irrigation, soaker hoses, drip lines etc at the very least.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

I think an irrigation forum would be great.

Emerald Hills, CA(Zone 9b)

I would love to see an irrigation forum!

Carmel, IN(Zone 5b)

I'd also be interested!

Seattle, WA

Hello everyone,

Its been fine getting response from various gardeners around the country. Now, how do we get Daves' garden to actually activate such a site?

Gene so

Geneso,

I think we need to get a much greater response, before DG will consider setting up a new forum. Have you mentioned/linked to this thread on other forums you visit? That often brings more attention & response.

Liz

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

I would love to see an irrigation forum.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Yes to Irrigation Forum here!

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Count me in!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes, please!

Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

Absolutely!! In fact I have been searching different forums for several months trying to learn something about irrigation.. If anyone can point me in the right direction please do.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

We definitely need an irrigation forum.

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

Please help spread the word to other forums you participate in by giving them the link to this topic. Maybe DG will help us out and give us a forum.

I've been reworking my sprinkler system one zone at a time for the last 18 months and the hardest part at first was finding the best parts for what I wanted to do, which was change landscape beds from water-wasting sprays to drip irrigation. The men at a professional irrigation supply house had no idea what to recommend until I found the right product on line and brought them a picture and part number. Then they were able to order it for me and also suggest other useful things. Once I dug up one zone box and diagrammed and understood how the valves work, I realized it really wasn't rocket science and have proceeded to change some heads to a different zone, etc. It has made a world of difference in the sections of my flower garden that I have completed. It is a lot of dirty work but well worth it.

Will be glad to participate in a new forum and share what I've learned because any time I do something different, I've burned a lot of hours on the internet searching for answers on DG and a variety of other do-it-yourself type sites.

Glenna
aka DNP

Thumbnail by Dogs_N_Petunias
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Well I had a different problem. Every time I asked DH to help me with irrigation he was busy.

"Do you need it now? No, I just asked because I had nothing else to do".

So, I like you searched the internet, library and big time irrigation store. Now I do my own. As the gardener, it is hard to explain to someone else what you want. You do not need to explain what you want to yourself.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

I have basic knowledge of PVC cutting and gluing and would love to learn more. I would love an irrigation forum

Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

I read about a watering system that even I could put together easily but have forgotten where it was. There was a connection to the main hose, then at each plant there was a side hose which can be turned off or on, and a timer, and a water pressure control . Has anyone read about this? I used a sprinkler system a few times this year and ended up with black spot because I was watering from above. This system actually went into the dirt at each plant watering only where they need it - at the roots.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Mableruth, the system you're describing is called a drip system. It's the only way to go IMHO for flower or veggie beds. Starter kits are available at Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. - & that's an easy way to start. You can get more parts to add to your system at those places too. Once you get the hang of it, it's not as complicated as it looks!

You can find lots of info on the subject just by Googling "drip irrigation". Here's a start: http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/dripguide.htm.

Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

Actually that system looks much more complicated than the one I saw on line. Man do I wish I could remember where it was! I checked my history and everything else I could thnk of. Oh well, maybe it will come to me in a lovely dream.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Here are some videos you might find helpful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEMZY6rky-E or http://www.waterwisetexas.org/square-foot-gardening-how-to-install-drip-irrigation.htm

Drip irrigation systems can be as simple or as complicated as you need them to be. And there are kits you can get that have everything you need to make a simple system.

Helena, MT

I pretty much developed an irrigation system on my own over a five year period. I have twenty risers coming off a half inch plastic hose which feeds as many as 50 soaker hoses and drip feeders. Lots of trial and error since I didn't have guides to go by. There is a huge assortment of soaker hoses out there and I have tried at least ten sources and finally settled on one which works well for me. I have six drip feeders which are of various design, and all hoses are about 60 feet long, which makes the standard 50 foot soaker hoses impractical. As I expanded my garden I found it was nearly impossible to adjust the flows to each individual hose without using inline ball valves. Again I found some of the Chinese manufactured ball valves totally useless, especially those yellow ones. At five dollars for single ball valves I finally came up with some which generally work (again Chinese mfg.) with about ten percent that leak when shut off. I have learned to return those in spite of the objections of the supplier. They want to use the term damaged and I insist on defective as the proper term and will not sign a return form unless they use that term. My goal is to be able to go back to using a timer to water my garden as I did when it was smaller and more manageable. The just of this comment is I found some helpful comments on DG about what others where doing, however I pretty much had to learn by trial and error which probably tripled my expense. This forum is a necessity for serious gardeners...got my vote.

Lynnwood, WA(Zone 7a)

Yes I'm voting for an irrigation forum too. I have years of experience but still wonder about some things and would love to have a place to ask or to help.

Lisabees, the link you posted: http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/dripguide.htm. didn't work for me. Can you try again? Many thanks... Liz

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Huh, the link I posted before doesn't work for me either now. But here it is again from the website - http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/dripguide.htm

Or if that doesn't work, try this - http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/ and then click on the "Drip Irrigation Design Tutorial"

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

mraider, I know what you're saying. I've done pretty much the same thing - cobbled together my system over several years. I have converted one zone of my underground sprinkler system (the one that waters my lawn) to run a series of smaller drip systems. I have 1/4 soaker tubing running throughout one bed of dense groundcovers. And in two others I have attached quad or "octo" converters to the sprinkler risers and have mini-sprayers on 1/4 " tubing (some of which water pots). For my veggie garden I have a combination of mostly drippers and some soaker tubing. My system could definitely be improved, it works but I still have questions. I would love to have a forum to discuss all this!

BTW - For several years, the veggie garden system was separate, connected to the garden hose spigot with just a "Y" and a battery operated timer, so I know you don't need an automated in-ground set-up to have an effective drip system.

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

Glad we're getting some response but I know there would be a lot more if we just spread the word through other forums. So, please, if this hasn't been posted on forums you participate in, be sure to post the link to this discussion so others can post their interest here. I cannot imagine anything more important to gardeners than being able to design and/or maintain a good irrigation system that doesn't waste water.

I know there are lots of posts on various DG forums about irrigation issues but it would be so much more beneficial to have it all in one place. Just keep spreading the word.

Glenna

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Post it on your regional forums - I did on mine!

Dillon, SC(Zone 7b)

This is a much needed forum. I have been wanting to install a drip irrigation system in my much too large yard, but don't have the slightest idea how to go about it. Help, DAVE'S GARDEN!!!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

So far not a single response from anyone representing DG? I'm guessing we won't be getting this forum any time soon.

Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

At the bottom of the page is "contact us". I do not know what the rules are about contacting them but maybe you could try this way.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Count me in

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Here you go...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/irrigation/all/

I'm needing some good irrigation threads to move over there if some of you will send me a few links via d-mail.

Enjoy!

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

this is the link admin sent me for the new forum:

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

The seocnd half of that link worked better for me:

Thank you Admins and All for the new forum! It's going onto my favorites list.

Corey

Thank you Melody!

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

Melody, THANKS.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images