Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Upper Midwest Gardening: Trumpet vines on trees

Communities > Forums > Upper Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Upper Midwest GardeningReplies: 8, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
neheskett
Albert Lea, MN
(Zone 4b)

July 6, 2010
2:23 PM

Post #7947883

Hi all, just wondering if anyone grows trumpet vines on their mature trees? I was thinking of trying this, but wonder if they would get too aggressive. I have mostly mature green ash that I'd like to try this on, but what are your thoughts? I have read that the trumpet vines can get severely invasive, but maybe that's in warmer climates. I tried growing one once on my clothesline pole and the thing has barely survived let alone flower or invade anything. I'm thinking it's too shaded there for it though.

Anyone here have experience with them?
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2010
7:18 AM

Post #7949414

What have you got to lose? Try it. I'll bet it is only forther south where they get realy large. Mine is many years old and although it does put up many suckers, it only gets so big. You can always kill the vine if you like the tree more and it becomes a battle.
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2010
4:34 AM

Post #7951808

Try it. Is the tree you want to use in a flower bed or is it (tree) a stand-alone specimen? If you mow your lawn around the tree the Trumpet Vine will be kept in check. However, if the tree is already in a flower bed, you may have problems. They can be very aggressive and may eventually rule over your other plantings.

I'd like to know how it works out for you.
neheskett
Albert Lea, MN
(Zone 4b)

July 8, 2010
10:57 AM

Post #7952590

The trees are all just in the yard and right now we mow right up to them. I think I will try it; thanks for the encouragement!

I guess if the vines end up choking and killing the ash tree, it would be dead in a few years anyway once the emerald ash borer gets here. Might as well dress them up while I still got 'em. :)
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2010
12:28 PM

Post #7952795

No Emerald Ash Borers have shown up in WI yet.
neheskett
Albert Lea, MN
(Zone 4b)

July 8, 2010
1:01 PM

Post #7952861

They are in St. Paul and extreme SE Minnesota. It's only a matter of time for me, I'm afraid.
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2010
1:30 PM

Post #7952934

My logic says: I really never liked Ash trees anyway.
neheskett
Albert Lea, MN
(Zone 4b)

July 9, 2010
5:22 AM

Post #7954467

Lol gasrocks. Well, they may not be my favorite but that's all I have on my property. It's going to be pretty bare around here if that little bugger finds its way over and kills my trees!
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2010
5:29 AM

Post #7954484

It's in the next county east of us. Our fence row is full of Ash and Boxelder trees that grew wild. They give us a lot of privacy from the road. I'll miss them if the bug gets here.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America