Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Trumpet vines on trees

Albert Lea, MN(Zone 4b)

Hi all, just wondering if anyone grows trumpet vines on their mature trees? I was thinking of trying this, but wonder if they would get too aggressive. I have mostly mature green ash that I'd like to try this on, but what are your thoughts? I have read that the trumpet vines can get severely invasive, but maybe that's in warmer climates. I tried growing one once on my clothesline pole and the thing has barely survived let alone flower or invade anything. I'm thinking it's too shaded there for it though.

Anyone here have experience with them?

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

What have you got to lose? Try it. I'll bet it is only forther south where they get realy large. Mine is many years old and although it does put up many suckers, it only gets so big. You can always kill the vine if you like the tree more and it becomes a battle.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Try it. Is the tree you want to use in a flower bed or is it (tree) a stand-alone specimen? If you mow your lawn around the tree the Trumpet Vine will be kept in check. However, if the tree is already in a flower bed, you may have problems. They can be very aggressive and may eventually rule over your other plantings.

I'd like to know how it works out for you.

Albert Lea, MN(Zone 4b)

The trees are all just in the yard and right now we mow right up to them. I think I will try it; thanks for the encouragement!

I guess if the vines end up choking and killing the ash tree, it would be dead in a few years anyway once the emerald ash borer gets here. Might as well dress them up while I still got 'em. :)

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

No Emerald Ash Borers have shown up in WI yet.

Albert Lea, MN(Zone 4b)

They are in St. Paul and extreme SE Minnesota. It's only a matter of time for me, I'm afraid.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

My logic says: I really never liked Ash trees anyway.

Albert Lea, MN(Zone 4b)

Lol gasrocks. Well, they may not be my favorite but that's all I have on my property. It's going to be pretty bare around here if that little bugger finds its way over and kills my trees!

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

It's in the next county east of us. Our fence row is full of Ash and Boxelder trees that grew wild. They give us a lot of privacy from the road. I'll miss them if the bug gets here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.