Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Peppers: giant marconi and big early hybrid bell peppers

Communities > Forums > Peppers
bookmark
Forum: PeppersReplies: 9, Views: 87
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2010
1:59 PM

Post #7955566

has anyone ever grown these?? i have not grown bell peppers for years simply because i container garden and from experience when i grew them in the ground i realized that i needed a zillion plants to make a nice big pot of sausage and peppers> LOL

i was looking through TGS and saw these two. they claim the marconi hybrid is an italian sweet pepper (looks like a big bell to me) and grows to 8 inches in length. it resembles a cross between a marconi and a bell pepper.

the big early hybrid is a bell pepper also 8 inches long and 4 and 1/2 around.

i just want to try and grow them just for the heck of it.

thanks

smokemaster
North Hills, CA

July 10, 2010
4:00 AM

Post #7956796

Only reason I would grow the giant bell Pepper is to cross it with a 7Pot. LOL
MMMMMMMMM Giant 7 Pot stuffed with sausage...

There are a couple different kinds/varieties of the Marconi.
They were easy to grow - whatever the ones I grew were.One was labled as a Hybrid I think.
It seems they were lobed at the bottom but long and skinny compared to a bell.
Birds and mice loved them that year along with the italian roasters.
They only go after the sweet stuff and unripe chiles if there aren't any sweets to eat.

HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2010
1:57 PM

Post #7957906

thanks - i will give them both a try just for the heck of it i have my containers on a four foot high table but i have never had trouble with stuff like that. can't wait to get my ultra hots going next season

paracelsus
Elmira, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2010
2:55 PM

Post #7958058

I have been growing pimento type peppers for years and have tried the hybrid bells and Giant Marconi with no luck. However, I have had luck with Bull Nose, which is a smallish bell with very thick flesh. It's an heirloom that Jefferson grew. Very sweet and tasty. Not as crunchy, I noticed, as a store-bought hybrid bell, but much thicker.
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2010
4:13 PM

Post #7958184

thanks for your info.

Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 20, 2010
12:29 AM

Post #7982491

I tried growing them once, but what I got would hardly be called "giant". Perhaps it was the 5 gallon container?

I've never had much success growing the bells, though I did do well with the Pont du Paris sweet pepper. Don't know why I didn't plant that one this year. I opted for stuffer tomatoes instead. I KNOW I can grow tomatoes!

Totally off topic, the pepper plants that I over-wintered in the sunroom are doing awesome. Even the ones I left outside during a hard freeze came back with a vengeance. I'm psyched!
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2010
4:04 AM

Post #7982563

I tried Big Bertha and Giant Szgedi for the first time this year. Both are growing like crazy (support recommended) and just harvested the first ones this week. BB's are about 6" long, deep green, and might be bigger if I let them ripen. GS's were about 5" long, pale yellow, and ditto.
paracelsus
Elmira, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2010
6:24 AM

Post #7982814

Wow, my peppers are only starting to form little fruits and you are harvesting already! Shoot. Do you have them under plastic mulch or something?
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2010
4:28 AM

Post #7985126

Yes, they are in a self-watering Earthbox with a black plastic sheet covering the soil-less mix. Have also harvested Gypsy and Aconcagua already in a similar, but home-made EB.
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2010
4:53 AM

Post #7994941

dsthis year i am replacing my 5 gallon with 10 gallon and i will not be dissapointed if i only get a few. i just want to see howthey grow. my biggest interest will be my ultra hot peppers which i can't wait to start.

sequee - glad you over wintered peppers came back.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper Tplant 117 Apr 3, 2008 12:24 AM
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them? Breezymeadow 21 Mar 20, 2008 2:58 AM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America