Sopota ?

Dahlonega, GA

Will it make fruit in zone 9 b or 10 a

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

You are probably referring to Sapodilla or Sapota. I know they are grown down in South Texas by Port Isabel and RiversEndNursery carries them.

Dahlonega, GA

Never could spell . I want to put them out about 40 miles N of Corpus .Thanks , I'll check with Rivers End

Saint Petersburg, FL

Sapodilla will fruit in 9B with protection. You'll lose it to a cold winter though.

If what you're looking for is Sapote there's several kinds, the White Sapote is hardy down to about 22, the Black, Mamay/Green, Ross Sapote are really not built to stand freezing temps.

Dahlonega, GA

I have the white .

Keaau, HI

Sapodilla, Manilkara zapota likes to be in warm humid environments.
It has long been cultivated in Central & South America, and the Caribbean.

I have been growing it in upcountry Hawai'i for several years, but have never gotten it to set fruit yet, although it does flower.
A few of my friends in the lowlands are growing it and it produces well.

Dahlonega, GA

I'll put them (all two ) out on the south side with a wire fence around to cover if it gets too cold . Last year , we had 25degrees three nights in a row . Very unusual .

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

They were selling them fresh off the trees when I was down at RiversEnd in May. They have a very pleasant after taste.

Saint Petersburg, FL

Mine fruited last year, but I couldn't seem to get them at the perfect degree of ripeness. The first ones I harvested were still latex-y and the last bunch were a little "off".

No fruit this year, as the freezes knocked it way back.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Digger, Is there a Corpus, GA? If you are referring to 40 mi. north of Corpus Christi, Texas, that would put you somewhere between Refugio and Goliad somewhere between zone 9a and 8b. Corpus is in zone 9a. Hardiness temperatures given are for the plant itself, not the fruit.

Dahlonega, GA

Nope, Texas . Right at Copono bay on the coast .I do have trees for shelter all around me .

Dahlonega, GA

Short up date . They froze . Another bad winter this last one . Won't waste my money on any more tropicals . Do have lemon grapefruit and lime . The have withstood two bad winters .Have loquat and they have done well .

Dahlonega, GA

Getting ready to make it back to Tex . I'll see what the drought has done to my little trees that were left after the freeze of last winter .

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.