Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Dahlias: What is this bug ?

Communities > Forums > Dahlias
bookmark
Forum: DahliasReplies: 23, Views: 212
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
psudan
Mentor, OH

July 9, 2010
7:27 PM

Post #7956357

I've suspected that earwigs were responsible for the many holes in my dahlia leaves. I just went out tonight with a flashlight and found two dozen or more of these creatures on the dahlias. This pic is not too good but i'm hoping someone can identify this thing and advise me how to get rid of them before they completely defoliate my plants. Thanks in advance.

Thumbnail by psudan
Click the image for an enlarged view.

psudan
Mentor, OH

July 9, 2010
9:04 PM

Post #7956543

I did a google search and I've found the culprit. I believe it's an asiatic garden beetle. anyone agree?
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2010
9:46 PM

Post #7956618

I don't know what your bug is, but sure looks like some kind of a beetle.

Me, however do have an earwig problem. They like my dahlias and defoliated my butterfly bushes. I tried a broad spectrum insecticide, helped a bit but not totally. I switched to a neem oil based insecticide. The neem oil did more damaged than the earwigs. Due to the extreme and continuos hot weather we're having, the neem oil is suffocating the leaves and making them yellow. Almost defoliated some of my roses.

Can anybody tell me what works best on earwigs?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2010
8:28 AM

Post #7957259

psudan - We have those beetles as well. They are currently on some daylilies but so far it's not a major problem. They are easier to squish than the Japanese beetles.

It's pouring rain right now (finally) and could continue to rain for three days and I wouldn't complain.

Please don't use this if you have pets but it works well for both earwigs and slugs:

Thumbnail by pirl

psudan
Mentor, OH

July 10, 2010
9:03 AM

Post #7957322

Pirl, I did some reading about these beetles and it says they burrow into the ground and lay their eggs then come out only at night to feed. I have some Sevin concentrate . Do you think it would help to spray directly on the ground around the plants? I also have some diatomaceous earth but being inexperienced, I'm terrified about doing anything that will hurt the dahlias. I still believe the earwigs are doing a lot of the damage. I read that earwigs eat the leaves from the outside inward and that seems to be the pattern on many of mine. I appreciate the help.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2010
11:47 AM

Post #7957705

Found an earwig eating from the inside out on a Stargazer lily yesterday. The flower opened today and it had to be removed: the earwig did so much damage.

Be careful with Sevin. We have it but don't use it (silly, I know).

Diatomaceous earth supposedly annoys the earwigs bodies - it's like sandpaper, so they say. It will not hurt your dahlias at all and it's worth using it until you can get the Ortho product.
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2010
11:53 AM

Post #7957714

Earwigs are all over. Roses, echinaceas, and I always find them hiding on new young dahlia leaves that are not yet fully open. They're munching on the petals too. Thankfully they're avoiding my lilies.

Pirl - what do you mean "be careful with Sevin"? Aside from the obvious being a chemical, is it harmful to plants too?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2010
12:00 PM

Post #7957726

Too many people don't read all of the directions and use more than what is necessary or use it for the wrong reasons. I don't know how harmful (or not) it is for plants. At one time I believe it was used to kill Japanese beetles on roses but I don't know what the current recommendation is anymore.
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2010
12:03 PM

Post #7957731

oh, okay then.
todgor
West Caldwell, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 10, 2010
10:07 PM

Post #7958987

Sevin (Carbaryl) is banned in several countries, including the United Kingdom, Austria, Denmark, Sweden, Germany, and Angola. It is toxic to humans and is classified as a likely human carcinogen by the EPA. It also kills beneficial insects such as bees. I won't even go into how evil Monsanto is, that makes Ortho.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2010
4:47 AM

Post #7959194

Recently I spoke to a County Extension Agent about a problem I have with a plant and part of what he said was to weigh the damage, which the plant can probably overcome (part of nature), as opposed to the damage the poisons (aka "controls") do regarding killing beneficial insects.

One of the fungus controls we bought a few years ago, for roses, did not say the typical: May cause blindness. It said: Causes blindness. We ended up bringing it to the landfill where they have a special area for people to drop off toxic items. I'd rather put up with any insect and any problem rather than go blind trying to stop the problem.
psudan
Mentor, OH

July 11, 2010
8:05 AM

Post #7959525

Pirl, I sprinkled DE around the 15 or so dahlias in the front bed. I went back after dark and squished at least 100 of these beetles in about 15 minutes or less. I did not see a single earwig. On three of my plants, about 1/3 of the leaves look like the ones in the pic. Is there any hope of these plants surviving ? If so should I remove the damaged foliage? I have raised flowers here for 3 or 4 years and have never seen ( or noticed ) these beetles before. The dahlias in the same bed last year were untouched.

Thumbnail by psudan

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2010
8:14 AM

Post #7959549

I'd remove the leaves. It does looks like earwig damage to me and I do view half eaten leaves as an invitation for the earwigs to return.

I will try and find the item in a thread on Dahlias that calls for removal of the bottom leaves anyhow but I forgot the reason for it. Yesterday, while working on my dahlia bed, I did remove several sets of the lower leaves - now I have to find out the reason why we were told it was beneficial.

Hand killing is the absolute safest way of caring for the plants and nature. At least these beetles are easier to kill and don't hurt as the Japanese beetles do.

Good job with the diatomaceous earth!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2010
8:28 AM

Post #7959573

Tried doing two Advanced Searches and still can't find the reason for removal of the lower leaves but it's timely so I'll start a new thread for it.

I did find Todgor's recommendation for earwig traps if you want to try it:
http://www.lillymiller.com/baits.html
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2010
8:30 AM

Post #7959578

New thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1114504/
psudan
Mentor, OH

July 11, 2010
9:04 AM

Post #7959633

Pirl , I definitely agree with the hand killing. Trouble is after I made a circuit around the bed and had killed several dozen, when I got to the starting point there were just as many as the first time around. I made so many laps I was getting dizzy. I'm assuming this goes on all night. Many of them were mating so maybe when their " partying " is over I can get some relief. Thanks for your responses.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2010
9:07 AM

Post #7959639

The JB's party like that for three weeks, which is why I remove all roses and cut back canes by a foot - to prevent formation of buds that will only be food for their orgies: not in my yard!

Yes, hand picking does feel endless. It's similar with slugs but not so with earwigs because they just run way too fast.
todgor
West Caldwell, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 11, 2010
9:20 PM

Post #7961557

I have found the JBs to be softer and they put up less of a fight (read biting) when I squish them this year, thankfully. Maybe it is the near drought conditions, they seem smaller. Mostly they are tearing up my cone flowers, and I will not spray those flowers with anything, as I once killed a bumble bee even with Spinosad sprayed many hours earlier, even though it was supposed to be safe after that long.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2010
3:51 AM

Post #7961799

It's almost amusing, Tod. I find the JB's to have almost lobster like claws and can only kill/squish them if I'm wearing gloves.

I don't spray for JB's and if it means removal of flower heads as well as roses then I do it. It's not a case of being 100% against any spray as having enough to do outside other than spraying. Many times I just wish I had the time to feed plants more often so spraying for bugs is last on my list.

The drought has only one good aspect - few (if any) mosquitoes.
todgor
West Caldwell, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 12, 2010
9:25 AM

Post #7962529

You are lucky if you have few mosquitoes, come 7pm its a free for all here. Doesn't matter what I put on, they just keep coming. Sure is helping the spider mites gain against the predatory mites (who like moisture I believe). My invisible little war. :)
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2010
9:45 AM

Post #7962567

Generally we get some mosquitoes in August but nothing like I hear about from others. It's those tiny gnats that fly into the eyes, mouth, etc. that I find maddening around 7 to 8 PM.
kathfitts
Mentor, OH

July 26, 2010
6:10 AM

Post #7997551

I have read all your messages and still do not know what to put on the Dahlia's that will kill the beatles and not hurt the plant. I am constantly drowning the beetles. Too many. Isn't there something we can spray on them? A botonist told me to use vinegar and water. It scorched the flower and the beetles still came.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2010
7:19 AM

Post #7997696

Check out Bonide Rose RX online to be sure it kills that exact bug before you buy it. Supposedly it kills Japanese beetles on roses with just one application and one container treats 15 roses. It's systemic so if it kills the dahlia bug it should work the same way as for roses.
psudan
Mentor, OH

July 26, 2010
8:36 AM

Post #7997861

I'm still making a trip outside every night after dark but haven't seen a beetle on my plants for several nights. I'm hoping my bug-squishing days are over for at least a while. I did put out a bug light and find some in the water tray every morning. Apparently they find the light more attractive than my dahlia leaves. My fingers are crossed. Dan

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Dahlias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dahliettas, gallery dahlias, jackpot dahlias Lenjo 12 Mar 7, 2013 6:27 PM
Dahlias and black walnut hart 17 May 16, 2008 10:37 PM
Will the real Edinburgh please stand up? mvespa 19 Apr 17, 2007 8:44 AM
NO H20 - Candy says "Hi!" Please say Hi back Poochella 11 Oct 12, 2009 12:13 AM
Do ya really really have to dig them? WayehMalamutes 18 Apr 14, 2008 6:30 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America