Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Easy tree swings mean happy kids (and parents): Grow, trees, grow!

Communities > Forums > Article: Easy tree swings mean happy kids (and parents)
bookmark
Forum: Article: Easy tree swings mean happy kids (and parents)Replies: 1, Views: 8
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 9, 2010
7:33 PM

Post #7956373

Due to the crowded nature of our "fence row" of trees, none of their branches are really suitable for swings. But they're our only mature trees. It's going to be a while before the trees we planted after moving in will work for this, but there are some promising-looking branches. I am eyeing Jim's mimosa tree, which could probably support a baby swing at any rate. :-)

I've also got this idea about painting a tree in the corner of Sunshine Girl's room, extending the branches out along the ceiling, and hanging a swing for her... a baby swing for now, later a playground style swing, and when she's a teen, replace it with a hammock chair. DH says "maybe" but wants to anchor it through a ceiling stud, with eyebolts as you suggested doing with a tree swing.

Great article, Sally -- thanks!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2010
5:19 AM

Post #7956886

Hi,
Our first swing was a baby one and hung from a crabapple branch about two inches diameter. With the small load and short straps it could hang fairly close to the trunk. I was fine, no sway or bounce that looked like we overloaded the branch. This rnangy mostly unpruned crab has now had swings in a couple other places.
Great fun idea for the kid's room! I got a hammock chair for outside and its very comfortable.
Thanks for reading and commenting ^_^

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Easy tree swings mean happy kids (and parents) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Terrific article! gardenarian 1 Jul 12, 2010 3:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America